Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google adds maps to Irish searches

Options
  • 19-05-2009 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that searches like web design waterford or restaurant waterford bring up a map in google.ie searches.

Looks like we'll all have to get our clients to be registered in google maps.

Bit of a bummer for those of us who work from home and don't want to publicise the fact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

Yep...Ive noticed this as well...been informing clients all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads any tips on how to do this?? Also is there some kind of automatic way of doing this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As far as I know, you need to add the business to Google Local. They may also be adding them automatically if the site has a full address listed in the site though, not sure.

http://www.google.com/local/add/

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Yea; noticed that also. I put up a Google Map last year for our club with a nice photo now when I Google (Firefox) the club the first hit is the map. Unfortunately it contains lots of outdated info from other linked websites, broken links from our old website and a crap photo from some other luder (to whom I've written) who hijacked my Google Map :mad: !

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Unless they've changed it since yesterday, they may be jumping the gun in announcing that it's good to go. I read a tweet yesterday and tried to add my company. And the form refused to accept the phone number, no matter what format I put it in, which meant I couldn't submit the form. Even more annoyingly, whenever I submitted the form and it rejected it, it reset the position of the map marker. An unfortunately frustrating experience.

From a quick google, it would seem that I'm not the only one with the same problem - other people posted it on google news groups, including people from other countries where it was supposedly operational (a post from singapore, for example).

If anyone does get a phone number to successfully save let me know, as I am eager to put my company up there, but not to go through the repeated submit-deny sequence I did yesterday for far too long...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

If anyone does get a phone number to successfully save let me know, as I am eager to put my company up there, but not to go through the repeated submit-deny sequence I did yesterday for far too long..

I just modified mine. Put in number in format (051) xxx xxx. Got a call back from google computer with a pin number. One minute later my mobile rang (they already had the number) with the same google computer giving me another pin number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi Folks,
    this has major implications across the board. Positive for many but serious consequences for others. In the travel sector for example Google has obviously "partnered" with Trip Advisor for 99.9% of the site reviews making such a system VERY biased and uncompetitive. I believe many in the hotel sector (not only in Ireland) are up in arms as there appears no logic behind the Local Search results.

A similar thread can be seen here if of use.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055569725

Advertisement