Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling down a thai curry

Options
  • 19-05-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

I've googled this a bit but haven't come up with an answer yet.

If I make an indian-type curry too hot, I'll cool it down with yoghurt.
    But what are people's suggestions for a too-hot thai or malyasian-style curry? Yoghurt doesn't really seem to fit, any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Coconut milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Isn't coconut standard for cooling it down ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

blow on it for a while:p

sorry only joking

coconut milk or fruit chutneys eg mango and lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Thanks for the replies.

I meant to say in the first post - I don't want to add more coconut milk (it's in there already), because I don't want to end up with it too runny.

might try the chutneys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

rocknchef wrote: »
    blow on it for a while:p

sorry only joking

coconut milk or fruit chutneys eg mango and lime

+1 for the chutney. Gives it a lovely taste too. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

StudentC wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I meant to say in the first post - I don't want to add more coconut milk (it's in there already), because I don't want to end up with it too runny.

might try the chutneys

you can use a bit of corn flour to thicken it up or get a block of creamed coconut and grate it in last minute.

but i like chutneys with mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I should have said I was actually talking about dried coconut :) which I quite like when I put it into curries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Thanks again all for the replies, this is a great resource.

I have a block of coconut so i'll grate some of that in and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

don't fight it, feel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you make your own paste you can control the amount of chillis, it's easier than you'd expect! I have a good recipe at home if you want it. You'd need something to blitz it with though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are really stuck and it is really hot you can decant the sauce off into a bowl, then add another milder sauce to the main mix, then freeze the superhot leftover sauce and use it as a base for your next one or 2.

I love coconut but it is very high in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Milk or natural yogurt can be used to cool down hot food without affecting the flavour of the it too much. There's something in them that counteracts the heat of chillies, drinking a glass of milk with a hot dish also helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

StudentC wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

might try the chutneys

Thai curries are supposed to be quite runny, i.e. ingredients swimming in it. Sugar can counteract pungency/spiciness to a certain degree, but obviously you don't want too much sweetness.

Any dairy product will reduce pungency, as the casein (milk protein) unbinds the capsaicin (the compound that causes the burning sensation) that has connected with the nerve receptors in the mouth.

It's also why sour cream is served with chili con carne, yoghurt raita or youghurt drinks with indian curries, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I find that more sugar brings down the heat. I agree with the above ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

tyr a bit of mayonaisse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

mayo, would it not curdle up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You could try throw in more veg. Potatoes work really well.

Advertisement