Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-tipping que

• 19-05-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Where can I get this done properly. Haven't played snooker in awhile but have a great que and want to re-tip it so I can either pick it up for fun again or sell the que so want a decent job done on the tip

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

drop it into crossguns, owner there does mine, uses the elk master, best tip available, charges €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alanbb

Andyfbt wrote: »
    Where can I get this done properly. Haven't played snooker in awhile but have a great que and want to re-tip it so I can either pick it up for fun again or sell the que so want a decent job done on the tip

If you're on the Southside, go to Monkstown Snooker Club. The manager, Mick does a great job repairing cues. Tips, ferrules, whatever.

yep, i would second that, Mick does a great job on cues, he looks after Ken Doherty's tip, the owner in crossguns just does tips anything else he forwards them on to Mick, he recently made an extension piece for my cue, great job and not expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Sorry OP for butting in on your thread.

My friend has asked me to do the tip on his as its about 7-8 years old and has gone fairly rough, Ive done one tip before for my own cue, it turned out ok but then Im the only one that plays with the cue so its not much feedback.

Any advice would be appreciated especially do's and don'ts.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Doing it yourself is easy enough, I always do my own tips.

All you really need is;
    • New tip (Obviously)
    • A very sharp blade (A new stanley blade preferably)
    • Some medium grit sandpaper
    • Some fine grit sandpaper
    • Super glue (Preferably a gel type)
    • Some paitence

There are special glues for doing this available but super glue will do fine. Tip clamps are available cheap and can be very handy while the glue is drying.

It's no harm getting used to doing this yourself, after using the new for a bit it can go out of shape slightly and spread out a little, it can take some time for the tip to properly "bed in". So you'll probably need to get a blade and paper to it at some stage. Also when your shaping the tip yourself, you can customise it a bit more to suit yourself.

I always carry a blade and sandpaper in my case just in case i feel it's gone out of shape a little.

This guy shows it being done:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

3 Euro sounds good to avoid the hassle of doing it yourself. Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I re-tip my own as well and have never had a problem,you can buy the kit now for re-tipping in most sports shops,these are pretty straight forward and easy to use,saying that I prefer to do it the way celticfc has just mentioned,its quite easy and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Cheers for the help.

Was playing last night and mis-cued, took a lump out of my tip, asked the gaffer would he put a new one on, within 15 mins i was back playing with a brand new tip, felt exactly like the old one and only cost €3! The gaffer is an ex player so knows exactly what he's at,even if he's not on leave it in behind the desk and he'll do it when gets in, mind you as alanbb said if it's anything other than tips i would head straight to Mick out in monkstown snooker club.
    And if you are going to do it yourself make sure you get an elk master tip, stay away from blue diamond etc, they are rubbish.

Advertisement