Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Irish music and open mic night?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've a few German friends over next week and some of them are asking about good places to hear some Dubliners-esque music? Only place I could think of with decent quality music of that type would be places like Johnny Foxes, but I was hoping to find somewhere a little easier to get to? Looking for somewhere normal/authentic enough and presume there'd be enough little pubs and places around Smithfield/Capel St and that sort of area that would have something like that on?

Also, while on the topic, can anyone recommend an open mic night for someone wanting to knock out a song or two without much of a fuss? Nothing too serious again, just a quiet singer/songwritery show-up-on-the-night type thing.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

For authentic traditional try The Cobblestone on Smithfield. They have a large billing and information can be got over the phone.

For slightly cheesier (but still fun all the same) there's always The Brazen Head.

And for open mic night you could have a look on the Songwriting forum. Go to the music bar and scroll down to the third from the bottom. There is a thread with contact information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could try the Radisson St Helens on the Stillorgan Road on Thursdays. All singer / songwriters including Thom Moore (My cavan girl, caralina rua etc.) Nice setting and small attentive audience, drink not cheap but the nuts are free. Haven't been since the recession hit but worth checking out that it's still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

You should defenitely check out O Donoghues on merrion row. Its been ages since Ive been in there, but last time I was they had two guys in the back on guitars throwing out a few tunes.
    They were even kind enough to let me go up and embarass myself. :o
    Sure its where the dubliners started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Advertisement