Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course should I do ?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

There is a new course in UCC
    MSc Software & Systems for Mobile Networks. 1 year about 12 hrs a week during the day. Work could probably let me go it.

or

Open University Advanced Networking which is basically the CCNP on top of my CCNA.

Can I get any funding for OU course as it seems very expensive.
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Do both

I would choose the MSc although Im not sure how usefull a "MSc Software & Systems for Mobile Networks" would be, I dont do very much programming

Just do the CCNP on your own in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

MSc> ccna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

hobochris wrote: »
    MSc> ccna

The other course is for the CCNP, not the CCNA.

Also, if he is applying for a network engineer role with a company that uses cisco equipment, what do you think is going to be more useful? A CCNP level of knowledge or being able to create mobile applications?

If you're interested in cisco networking then just self study for the CCNP as Static said.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

do you have a tesco clubcard? you can use clubcard vouchers to get 4 times their value in open university vouchers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

accensi0n wrote: »
    The other course is for the CCNP, not the CCNA.

Also, if he is applying for a network engineer role with a company that uses cisco equipment, what do you think is going to be more useful? A CCNP level of knowledge or being able to create mobile applications?

If you're interested in cisco networking then just self study for the CCNP as Static said.
    sorry, skimmed through the post. just picked out CCNA.

but in any case He didn't suggest in his post that he wanted to pursue a network engineering role.

a Ccna is a common thing to have, I have one and I'm a software developer(So does everyone who graduated in my class).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JimmyReegs

Hi,

I also want to ask the question what course should I do?

I have a BSc in Computing from CIT and about 15 months experience working as a field service engineer before I decided to travel for a while and I have now just returned.

While doing my degree I enjoyed programming most and usually was the best in the class at it and picked it up extremely fast.

I have already enroled to do a CCNA and will enrole to do the Sun Certified Programmer for Java Platform but are any of these worth doing?

And what should I do to help me try get a job in this field?

Any input appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@JimmyReegs.
    From reading your post the first thing that struck me was how you appear to be going in two separate directions.

BSc in Computing
    15 Months field service engineer (doing what exactly?)

CCNA
    Sun Certified Programmer for Java Platform

Dont just do random courses, a CCNA will give you networking knowledge, and your Sun Cert will give you programming knowledge but both will require a lot of work and they aren't related in any way, you know what I mean?

You need to decide what YOU want to do, make a choice and just follow that path. I'm a great believer in setting a long term goal no matter how ridiculous it might be now and then work back from that.

Do you want to be a Network engineer, working on routers, firewalls and doing packet analysis?
    Do you want to be a programmer building and coding applications?
    Do you want to be in charge of a company's servers?
    Do you want to be general support guy, who has a bit of knowledge about lots of things but isn't a very good at any?
    And what should I do to help me try get a job in this field?

Sorry if my post comes off all wrong but to answer the above, I think you need to define what you want to do.

On a side note, if you are based in Dublin, UCD is offering free Java courses at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JimmyReegs

@JimmyReegs.
    From reading your post the first thing that struck me was how you appear to be going in two separate directions.

BSc in Computing
    15 Months field service engineer (doing what exactly?)

CCNA
    Sun Certified Programmer for Java Platform

Do you want to be a Network engineer, working on routers, firewalls and doing packet analysis?
    Do you want to be a programmer building and coding applications?
    Do you want to be in charge of a company's servers?
    Do you want to be general support guy, who has a bit of knowledge about lots of things but isn't a very good at any?

Ya, thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you and I realise myself that I am going in 2 different directions. What I want is to get into programming, but I dont know if this is realistic at the moment.

In my degree I did quite a lot of programming and I was fairly good at it and it is what I enjoyed, but since I finished it has been field service as I said (all types of systems in retail from the pos to the back office and server). The reason I am doing the ccna is because I have already covered that in my course, I know it will be hard but I am fairly certain I will pass it and I would rather do that than sit around and do nothing.

The Sun Certified Programmer for Java Platform I should be able to pass as well with a little work. But apart from this is there any other programming related courses that I should be looking at doing?

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

hobochris wrote: »
    MSc> ccna

Maybe so but CCNP > MSc

I don't work in a windows environment or even want to.

Advertisement