Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age do u gatta be>?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys.
    I bought a G36c Airsoft gun.
    1 joule
    328FPS.

Now my mum went crazy.... she thought the gun was to powerfull so she took it off me lol.
    This really pissed me off.
    Now i need to make her give me back my gun and change her mind about this amazing cool sport.
    She rang companies like <snip> in dublin and <snip>saying how do they allow children to play wif them.
    I am only 14 years old.How can i prove to her that this sport is for my age...?? or is it??

thanks guys... i may not be on much but try to keep posted...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tomdelong wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    I bought a G36c Airsoft gun.
    1 joule
    328FPS.

Now my mum went crazy.... she thought the gun was to powerfull so she took it off me lol.
    This really pissed me off.
    Now i need to make her give me back my gun and change her mind about this amazing cool sport.
    She rang companies in dublin saying how do they allow children to play wif them.
    I am only 14 years old.How can i prove to her that this sport is for my age...?? or is it??

thanks guys... i may not be on much but try to keep posted...

Whoever sold you the gun is pretty reckless, not supposed to be sold to anyone under 18 without parental permission.

Nothing you can do really, mum's house mum's rules:)

But you could try and convince her to let you go to a skirmish maybe where you can use it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

i think its if you are under or over 16 you have to have parents permission or something, but they is other people 13,14,15,16.... on the forum that play airsoft where did you buy it from most shops don't sell you them without a parent or someone over 18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just saying, "It's for any ages!" probably won't cut it, you have to show her you want to take part and be responsible with it.
    I does look like the real thing, that's the point. So your mother has every right to be concerned.
    They are classed as toys so they can be used legally by anyone of any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

just show her all these posts of us telling you its ok to have and use its legal and safe tell her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

The current legislation in Ireland does not provide for an age limit on the sport of airsoft in any measure. The only restriction (legally speaking) is that the device be at or below 1 joule of muzzle energy.

The IAA have requested that none of its affiliated retailers provide an airsoft gun to any person below the age of 16. This benchmark is based on the standard socially acceptable age for many things (the old smoking laws, being able to leave school, hold a job, pay tax etc).

Currently there is no restriction on the admission of individuals to a venue outside of those imposed by the venues insurer. In most cases this is 14 years old - however it should be noted that a venue operator has the right to refuse permission to any person or persons he/she feels fit to.

OP: you can see the Irish Airsoft Association homepage for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

the best thing to do is to show your ma clips on youtube of airsoft been played in a good manner and show her that you wont be reckless with it as in shooting your pet or brothers and sisters.
    also retailers dont let people play with them they sell them.
    it was a bit strange that somebody sold you a AEG with out a perent permission:o
    the only reason why i am alloud into retailers shops is because i have earned there trust/they have my address/i am member of IAA and they know my da and uncle so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭+*EliteSniper*+

Nathaniel your my friend in real life lol tell her i have them and am responsible and we can all be responsible together ;) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭MiniAirsofter

You can play from twelve up but if you are under 16, you have to have a parent with you on the skirmish field at all times.

You can play from twelve up but if you are under 16, you have to have a parent with you on the skirmish field at all times.

14-16 consent form signed by parent/guardian 12-13 parent/guardian has to be there..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭MiniAirsofter

14-16 consent form signed by parent/guardian 12-13 parent/guardian has to be there..?

12 - 16 parent/guardian has to be there. 16 - 18 signed consent form.

• Advertisement

12 - 16 parent/guardian has to be there. 16 - 18 signed consent form.

Wasn't like that at a place i went..

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

She probably has concerns that can't really be addressed by YouTube or forum posts, and frankly good for her. I would say the best bet all around would be to see about getting her to bring you down to a skirmish site some day when there's someone from the IAA there and get her to talk to them - she'll be able to ask the questions she's got and get a straight-up and intelligent answer, and then be able to base her decision on real knowledge.

On your side you have what marketing people call 'pester power' - that's the reason there's a huge toy industry even though kids have no money. If you show that you're enthusiastic and willing to treat the situation in a mature way, and to compromise, hopefully she'll be willing to at least look into it. Reading up on gun safety (much of the stuff that applies to real guns applies here too) should help demonstrate that, and it's good to know that stuff anyway.

Also, if I were you I'd psychologically resign myself to the fact that the AEG goes in the press and doesn't come out except for going to skirmish sites. If you are cleared to throw shapes around the house with it then that's a bonus, but don't count on it or you might be disappointed. And whatever you do DO NOT fire it inside the house or in public and definitely not at people or animals. Mums hate that. :)

Update.. she had a word with the guys at eirsoft and they made her change her mind ;) Shes talkin to his dad about it. (by the way am his friend lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Update.. she had a word with the guys at eirsoft and they made her change her mind ;) Shes talkin to his dad about it. (by the way am his friend lol)

Doc didn't make her do anything of the sort....he just explained what airsoft was, and how it was perfectly safe it was if done properly and carefully. And during the course of that conversation, the true facts emerged. He bought it on-line without permission of his parents (and not from Eirsoft, I might add), and according to his mother, has been "shooting with all his other friends in the neighbours gardens and running around the streets waving them around." She is extremely upset about the situation, and rightly so from the sounds of it. Apparently a group of them got together and got some 3v cards and bought them online without asking permission. The parents concerned are considering coming up to Dublin to remonstrate with the retailer involved, and the original poster's mother says she has been in touch with Gardaí about it.

To the original poster - Frankly....if what your mother told Doc is true, you don't deserve to be allowed own a rubber dart gun, never mind an airsoft gun. Its people like you who are the root cause of the anti-airsoft hysteria we see in the media, and the restrictions being imposed on us.

EliteSniper - I'd appreciate if you had your father call the shop tomorrow and verify the order you placed is genuine, otherwise I'll be cancelling it and holding the payment until I can contact him myself.

Mods.....Any chance you could lock this travesty of a thread....this guy doesnt deserve any help whatsoever in persuading people to let him play airsoft if half the things his mother said are true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ok, failure on my behalf.

Went through his thread a few times and didn't really cop on to what was being discussed here.

There is no age limit at the moment where it is acceptable to act the maggot with an airsoft device.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement