Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tories to leave the EPP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I thought this is all dependent on their European election result?

if they do better then normal they were going to leave, if they do crap they would have stayed?

ahh well...Might aswell hand the European Parliament to the PES now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

oscarBravo wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/may/17/david-cameron-conservatives-eu-epp-mep

This has dented what respect I had for Cameron. Why is he pandering to Euroskeptics like this?

I believe UKIP are riding high in the polls - Tories on 28%, UKIP and Labour both on 19% for the euros. Cameron is trying to win those potential UKIP voters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Well Pottering is not just President of the Parliament, he's a member of the party which the Conservatives are leaving, so of course he's ticked off. His comments are not coming from a neutral position.

I think it is understandable in the current climate to be worries about restrictive trade agreements and devolution of sovereignty (as some see it) to the EU.

In fact I think a similar debate would be very welcome in Ireland and amongst David Cameron's colleagues in the EPP - Fine Gael - as regards how we want to further our position in the parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The Tories are not members of the EPP nor have they ever been.

They are members of the EPP-ED Group in the EP. They form most of the ED (European Democrats) part of the group together with the Czech ODS (Vaclav Klaus' former party) plus a handful of others.

The main division between the two wings of the group, in so far as I understand it, is the EPP is very much pro-EU, the ED wing anti-EU. Historically, they were actually completely separate in the EP until a decade or so ago.

Advertisement