Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that book!

Options
  • 19-05-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

OK ... I'm having trouble remembering a book I read, back in the 80's.

It was a collection of short stories. I can remember a little of one story; it had a central character called Anton, and the first paragraph was an allusion to people's lives as pieces of music ... basically, a successful high flyer might be a symphony ... but poor Anton was a flat note played on a busted trumpet.

There was another story, about some kind of ultimate handgun, which didn't make a noise when fired. The hero of that story ended up (somehow) in a forest/jungle wilderness, surrounded by wild animals. The animals didn't learn to fear the gun (it made no noise) so they kept trying to hunt him down. When he was eventually found by the people who invented the gun ... he was using it as a hammer, to create more crude but noisy weapons ... which in the circumstances were more effective.

I know it's a long shot - but does this ring any bells ?

I think the title of the collection had "awe" or "wonder" in it ... that's all I've got :o

Comments

Advertisement