Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The steepest longest hill in sligo

Options
  • 19-05-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

could some one point me in the direction of it, preferably within in a few miles of the town, need to do some hill training on my bike

does not need to be main roads, any tarmac is fine, the longer the climb, the better

cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

between sligo and lough gill there is a steep hill. Not on the main road. Sorry no good at directions. Tis years since I been up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

seanybiker wrote: »
    between sligo and lough gill there is a steep hill. Not on the main road. Sorry no good at directions. Tis years since I been up that way.

do you mean a lane/road off the road towards dromahair? i need something thats constently rising, a couple of miles if possible, whoud that sound like it, does anyone know if there is a tarmac road up Knocknarea

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There is a very steep hill called the glen Road along the of Knocknarea. Cycle through Maygheraboy and continue straight on. It is steeper on the strandhill side.

There is a private RTE tarmac road up to the top of Truskmore, Sligo's highest peak. Climb over the gate and away you go.

The Ladies Brae Road between Coolaney and the Sligo Ballin Road is a good climb, another tougher one in the Ox Mts is the Lough Easkey Road between Clonacool and Dromore West.

There is a very steep hill called the glen Road along the of Knocknarea. Cycle through Maygheraboy and continue straight on. It is steeper on the strandhill side.

i think i know the one, comeing from strandhill into maugherboy, road brings you past the GAA ground and the half dug up town park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

gallows hill? may not be long but its fairly steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just before you get to the carpark for the Glencar waterfall (coming from Sligo) there's a little road that goes up to the left. It doesn't lead anywhere and you'll have to come back down again ...but it's really steep and about a mile long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Cycle out as far as Cliffony and cycle up around the horseshoe. That's a good few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sligo town is one big hill...
    Start from Sligo town - Guarda station. Up Pearse road, then up TuNnaphobil (spelling?). Thats over two miles I'd say. straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Before you come into Coolaney, there is a right turn signposted "Ox mountains" that leads you to a constant climb. About halfway up there is another right turn where it gets really steep leading up to the antenna on that hill there ..the road isn't the best though, a bit potholed

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sligo town is one big hill...
    Start from Sligo town - Guarda station. Up Pearse road, then up Tonaphubble (spelling?). Thats over two miles I'd say. straight up.
    Fixed that for ya! ;)

• Advertisement

cheers guys for all them, been checking them out, if ye's think of any more, keep em coming

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

are you riding on hard roads only or do you want to go off road? If so in slish wood are some serious steep bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think (I could be wrong) that stewie's bike is a road bike - taking it off road would be a recipe for disaster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Actually you could do the road section of the Warriors Run. 7 miles approx.

Cheers Basquille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

There is a private RTE tarmac road up to the top of Truskmore, Sligo's highest peak. Climb over the gate and away you go.

The Ladies Brae Road between Coolaney and the Sligo Ballin Road is a good climb, another tougher one in the Ox Mts is the Lough Easkey Road between Clonacool and Dromore West.

was up the road a few years ago to truskmore that would be the spot the dont think the road is regulary used any where theres a tv transmitter is the highst peak for a long way so that would be your spot

are you riding on hard roads only or do you want to go off road? If so in slish wood are some serious steep bits.
    Xiney wrote: »
    I think (I could be wrong) that stewie's bike is a road bike - taking it off road would be a recipe for disaster :)

tarmac, compacted gravel at a push, racing bike, tyres are a whooping 23mm wide

:D

with a 23 mm tire you wouldn't catch me on compacted gravel!

(Then again, I hate gravel ever since I wiped out spectacularly on it when I was a kid, requiring 5 stitches on my right knee.... good thing I wasn't wearing shorts or it would have been more)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

irish-stew wrote: »
    tarmac, compacted gravel at a push, racing bike, tyres are a whooping 23mm wide

23mm and you dont go off road? Some people just don't dare anything!!;)

23mm and you dont go off road? Some people just don't dare anything!!;)

used to love off road, but still get a thrill from doing close to 40mph down a tarmac road

Cycle out as far as Cliffony and cycle up around the horseshoe. That's a good few miles.

it was close to 40 miles in all

heading up

DSC00244.jpg

looking back

DSC00245.jpg

still a bit to go

DSC00246.jpg

the decent starts here

DSC00249.jpg

• Advertisement

Fair play :eek:

Didn't go to the top of Truskmore, the public road only goes as far as about 800ft, the top is about 2000. Its all private land up there with plenty of signs to remind you off it. Passed by a picnic area/old ruin at around 400ft just after leaving Ballantrillick, with mention of a shop, could have came in handy as was low on fluids at the top, seen no shop, and was gasping by the time ride was over.

Keep the ideas coming guys, gonna pick up one or two OS maps as well, see what else there is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You cycled for 40k without a drink? Are you mad?

Nice pics though.

I am jealous of your healthy-ness.

i had a drink, just not enough

Advertisement