Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Employment?

• 19-05-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas for summer employment?

I'm a secondary teacher of three years and have been let go..unfortunately my hours are gone for September. I've applied to correct the Junior cert (won't hear about that for a while as i applied late) and applied for invigilation of state exams (again I'm on a reserve panel).

I'd really rather not go on the dole for June, July and August - or however long that will be as I ralise how few teaching jobs are around at the moment.

I've done TEFL in Summers past - but it doesnt seem as plentiful this year. I'm also going to apply to primary text-a-sub as soon as im off in June as I've done primary subbing before.

So, any ideas of jobs from people? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know it's not for the longterm but did you have a contract? Because if you did you'll be paid until the end of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I had a contract that ends May 29th, and I was paid (mostly) privately by the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

oh dear, that's pretty unfortunate. has your school assigned an exam aide for the exams or are there any special centres in your school that haven't been assigned a supervisor yet?

Unfortunately they have exam aides already assigned from people who have done it over previous years. i'm not sure if a lot of primary subbing will turn up over June..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

funktastic wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas for summer employment?

I'm a secondary teacher of three years and have been let go..unfortunately my hours are gone for September. I've applied to correct the Junior cert (won't hear about that for a while as i applied late) and applied for invigilation of state exams (again I'm on a reserve panel).

I'd really rather not go on the dole for June, July and August - or however long that will be as I ralise how few teaching jobs are around at the moment.

I've done TEFL in Summers past - but it doesnt seem as plentiful this year. I'm also going to apply to primary text-a-sub as soon as im off in June as I've done primary subbing before.

So, any ideas of jobs from people? Thanks

I think if I was you, I'd go down the dole office next week and put my claim in - the quicker you put the claim in the sooner they'll process it and also if you tell them it will hopefully just be for summer, they might sort it quicker. Then when I had that coming in, I'd try to get some TEFL work for July and August - I have seen one or two ads looking for teachers. There was one in school actually, I'll look for it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for replies.

Advertisement