Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelly Story

Options
  • 19-05-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm researching a story about the Jacky Skelly gym for radio and newspapers (I'm freelance) and would like to hear from people who have joined the gym and encountered problems with their contracts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blueroomstudios

I started a contract with them during the summer of last year. making a long story short, i went on holidays for a month, and when i came back i found an extortionate bill waiting for me (Their reasons were as i had not attended the gym, they thought i no longer required the services and were pursuing breach of contract). They even had the cheek to approach my bank demanding full payment (which the bank kindly told them where to go). I steamed at them over this, cancelled my DD. and the "helion" i was talking to from head office clearly stated thar if it was not paid, they would see me in court. they bombarded me with letters, calls, private number calls, voicemails, even had a "Solicitor" call me (this was found out to be a lie, as i was talking to her, she gave me a false address of her office, i was on google at the time and checked via Google and C.R.O.

These people are cowboys and need to be brought up on criminal charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Extremely Well

Sorry for delay in reply - away a bit.

Your story was quite astounding1

Apart from a break in usage of the Gym had you stopped or delayed payment while you were away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blueroomstudios

No,

Payment was always made on time, until such time as i cancelled the DD. this was only after they had approached my bank etc.

it was an ordeal in all fairness. i mean their contracts are ridiculous. and as for the services. on a few occasions i have seen children using the swimming facilities (Ballsbridge) use the pool without staff supervision.

as for their sales pitch........... when i initially went to register, the sales rep actually grabbed my obliques and waffled on about how i could be carried around by my "Love Handles" in an approach to make me feel.... for the want of a better word.. "FAT".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Extremely Well

They are an interesting company, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Elegance

nightmare :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Elegance

They are an interesting company, aren't they?
    :confused:

worst - journalist - EVER :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Hi Extremely Well,

Glad you are doing this story and this blog is here for people like myself to vent some frustration before we all blow a fuse.

Basically, I joined Jackie Skelly at the end of May. I joined over the phone and was told before I joined by a girl from Newbridge branch that they guarantee the results I want in 12 weeks, ha!!! I joined anyways and paid over the phone was not told anything about 12 month contract and that you can't leave. Even when I went to sign the paper work it was kind of shoved in your face and told sign here and here. But sure because I agreed over the phone I had signed up already. It wasn't until later I got to read the T&C's.

The reason I joined JS as oppose to any other gym was there speal on their website about how you get 3 training sessions in the first month and 1 a month there after. In my 7 weeks there I only got to see a personal trainer once.

Last Monday 13th July my car window was broken and my handbag stolen while parked in JSs' car park, as was another girls. After speaking with several other members and even a member of staff I learned that there has been about 20 cars broken into over the last few months. There is absolutely no warning given to members. They have no security or CCTV in place and just don't seem to give a toss. After this I went to cancel my membership and spoke to Teresa from "Customer Service" lol, customer service???? that's a joke.

Having worked in Customer Service I would have expected an apology and some compassion, silly me. She told me that this is not Jackie Skellys car park, that it's a community park and there's more business' around there.. obviously it never dawned on her that I might be have lived in this area all my life and knew that this was complete rubbish. She said that she is sure they have security, and when I told her again that no they don't and they have signs up saying "Members parking only, clamping in operation" the only response she could give me was "Whatever, that's not a valid reason for cancelling your membership". Okay so putting your life and your car at risk because of their negligence isn't a valid reason, right?? What does qualify??

I cancelled my DD and have sent several e-mails to Customer Service and Helen who is an Assistant Manager in Jackie Skellys and they respond every time with " This email is only to confirm we have received your email. We will reply again once your request has been processed." As you can imagine this is so infuriating, it's like they're being sarcastic or something.

Anyways sorry about the essay but just had to get my story accross.

Good luck with the story hopefully you can stop anyone else being conned by these ruthless money hungry parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Sorry can I just add I was told my BMI was 40 and that my body was like an old womans and I was killing myself. Although when I worked it out my BMI is in fact 28 (still not great but a hell of a lot better). 40 would mean that I am "Obese" and considering I still fit comfortably into a 10 - 12 I think that this is slightly off the mark. It's laughable really isn't it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement