Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filmbase.ie

Options
  • 19-05-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

anyone got any experience of doing courses here? Was looking to get into a directing/filmmaking course and they seem short but Im only looking to get my feet wet and theres nothing down this end of the country worth talking about (Limerick) aside from in Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 singingfish

I think it depends on what you are looking for. They run a lot of courses and generally I think they are quite good for people who are starting out and looking to find their feet in the industry. I know that the Digital Film Foundation course and the Documentary Foundation courses that they run are really good and give a good overview of all aspects of film production. I did one of their scriptwriting courses a couple of years ago and I really found it useful. I didn't go on to write many scripts, but that was more me being lazy than their course. The tutor was excellent. I can't comment too much on the directing courses as I don't know anyone who's taken them.

They do run a script competition with RTE twice a year where you can get funding towards the cost of making a short film (10,000 and equipment). Not sure if doing one of the courses gives you any advantage in getting the award, but it probably can't hurt either!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks, I had planned on doing this years ago but fell into the ratrace, now Im just looking to get back into it as I need something outside of work to keep me sane, might see about doing one of their courses later in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 26 singingfish

If you're based in Limerick you might be interested in this:

http://www.belltable.ie/limerickfilmforum.html

although the event is on tonight (20th May), so perhaps a bit short notice....

I think I read on another forum that there is a Filmbase representative on the panel as well as the Film Board and Screenwriters Guild - so it might be a good chance for you to talk to someone directly about courses, etc.

Advertisement