Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grooming / dysplasia

Options
  • 19-05-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

It is the time of the year for our dog to be clipped / groomed. We have been getting it done in a local vets but the last time she came out she appeared to have had a hard time. We are now wondering where or how to get her groomed, it is not an easy job, large dog above 30kg and almost as much hair as an old English and now with bad hips, we are really concerned about getting her done. We usually get her clipped quite short coming in to the summer. This time we are concerned about the amount of handling required and her with bad hips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Where abouts are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

South Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ah ok, place I was going to try and recommend is in Balbriggan, N.Dublin. Most likely way too far. I'll see if I can source somewhere closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

The vet could sedate her for the clipping if she struggles and is a bit nervous. If she's due any x-rays etc. ask them to clip her while she's out. You could also ask the vet about increasing her pain relief just for the few days around the clipping. If you're not too worried about the styling, perhaps she'd be happier if you did her yourself - clippers aren't too expensive if you're only going to use them to 'shear' her for the warmer weather.

Thats how it has been done, under sedation but the last time she was still distressed after the clipping. Is it difficult to do it yourself, we dont want her ending up completely botched. The hair is 6 inches and longer in places, its also matted around her legs. 8D9E6C5D6B2345B8B1996EAB717AD4A3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

She's gorgeous!!!!! If she was distressed after the sedation I don't have any other suggestions, sorry. I'm far from an expert on clipping but I have done my mother's dog a few times, TBH she was fairly patchy but mum didn't mind. Your girl is so pretty she needs to be clipped properly. I hope the weight loss regime is going well for you. Do check out the hydrotherapy because it'll help the weight loss and build up the muscle around the hips which is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My old Sally, long-haired GSD x RW, was a grumpy old lady with HD and ED. I clipped her myself every spring. YOu soon get the hang off it and if you invest in good clippers there isn't much you can do wrong.

It's so much more stress free if you can do it yourself and you can take your sweet time about it with breaks etc.

Thanks folks, I might get my hands on a clippers and have a go. Is the clippers for dogs different than that for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

hi ros123, your dog is fab, you will get a dog clipper in argos or your local pet shop, its not easy to do, you need to look at the coat and see which direction the hair grows and follow the direction, you cant just shave straight down the coat or it will leave lines... you will get the hang of it tho... anyway i work for a lady in Newtownforbes in Longford, im not sure how far away we are from you but if we can be of help pm me... we have old dogs in all the time with bad legs and hips ect so we would take good care of her and you can stay with her if you want while shes being groomed.

i do suggest trying it yourself and look on the net for info on grooming, you should find something that will talk you through it, grooming for such a big dog isnt cheap and if you can do it yourself you'll save lots.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bonnygirl

hi i had a very nervous bearded collie and i found wenden kennels in rathfarnham beside the dspca excellent..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bibi2591

I have brought my 6 month old minature schnauzer to Doggy Doos off the square in Balbriggan, Faye and Paddy, fantastic job, best ever I will certainly be going back again. Check them out.:):P

Advertisement