Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG - EMERGENCY

Options
  • 19-05-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all,

Im currently doing the new DCG course for the leaving cert and the whole course is up in a heap because it is the first year that the course is being thought. Most schools around the country haven't finished the course and my school is one of those!!! Anyone else out there ****ting a brick?? The teachers are just as confused as we are!! This is not a squealer here, the course is a disgrace to the Irish education system.

What are ye're teachers predicting? :(

Why did I choose this course?

If your currently choosing for next year, stay well away from it!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

lousy on you my friend, im in 4th year, i have covered a third of the course this year and i am an a student in it, its not that tough tbh honest but i feel your pain as you are in the first year, hopefully they will mark it easier for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

dcg is the easiest subject ever. remember mate, you've already done 40% of the exam so you already have a heap of marks going into the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

You have a point ya, its good with that aspect of the subject but im talking about those who aim to get an A or B, in other subjects like Biology or Irish, you can study, work a it and achieve the grade but with this subject...as I said the course is up in a heap, Im sure anyone doing it will agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

In a way i agree, when we first started the teachers werent sure what to do! We basically did everything but not in too much detail and went back over everything this year aswell to get up and beyond the exam standard.

During the project stage we did some classes after school to keep the drawing going.

All i can say is alot of students eem in the same way! The marking scheme will be adjusted basically and they will make a good few a's this year,

Look at it this way, next year will be much harder! They'll know what the project has to be aswell so itll be corrected alot harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

The number of A's and B's for DCG this year will be the same as the number of A's and B's in the old course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Hopefully some of the easier questions will come up.
    Keep in mind that the examiners also have no idea what standard is expected of us yet. The marking scheme has not been designed yet and wont be until they see how we do in the exam.

If you are confident on how you did in your project you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dking

ye the course is very mixed up and our teacher is trying to tech it last time he done drawing was about 5 years ago
    the sample paper solutions that were brought out are a disgrace and are mostly half done or all of the constructions hidden,,
    what do yous think is coming up in part a and part b {higher]

Im hoping for; and think it would be the easiest combination!

Section A
    Skew Lines
    Axonometric/Perspective
    Conics/ellipse/parabola/hyberbola
    Solids In contact

Section B
    Planes/dihedrel angle
    Axonometric/Perspective (Whichever wasnt in sec 1)
    Interpenetration.

But tbh, ive no idea if itll be anything like or near that! I can only hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

timmywex wrote: »
    Im hoping for; and think it would be the easiest combination!

Section A
    Skew Lines
    Axonometric/Perspective
    Conics/ellipse/parabola/hyberbola
    Solids In contact

Section B
    Planes/dihedrel angle
    Axonometric/Perspective (Whichever wasnt in sec 1)
    Interpenetration.

But tbh, ive no idea if itll be anything like or near that! I can only hope!

I would think that it will be along those lines alright, they want to make it look attractive and get the numbers of people doing it up. If you think about it there has been an awful lot of money invested in getting so many schools up to scratch regards equipment etc. and to justify this I would think they would want pretty strong numbers doing it, and the best way to do that is to make grades achievable for the first few years.

I'd say this year they will have to take the 'softly-softly' approach with the marking of everything.
    But I would think that after a couple of years the distribution of grades will fall back in line with the old Technical Drawing course.

Hopefully anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah we haven't covered the whole course either so if questions we haven't covered come up we're f*cked basically.

Anyone know if there's anywhere you can download solutions to the Department sample paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Forgive my ignorance - DCG?

Design and Communication Graphics, it replaced Tech Drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

I dont think its that bad we've an idiot for a teacher and we finished the course. To be honest its like jc tech graph standard most of it, and i reckon the exam will be near identical to the sample one. when the new physics course was brought in in 2002 the sample paper they sent out was very similar to what came up that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

our teacher reckons that time restraints will be a big factor. judging by the pre he could be right. if one question goes against you and you have to start again for example, your in trouble. he thinks that next year they'll only have to do one of the option questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Kind of off topic but still DCG related..

If you asked to get the 'apparent dip of the stratum' in one of the mining questions in Geologic Geometry, do you just project an elevation from the plan in the direction that they ask you, I tried it but i just get skew lines again and I presume the top and bottom lines should be paralell if I want to get the dip, I may just be doing something wrong..

Thats probably phrased badly but any help would be appreciated.

Des23 wrote: »
    Kind of off topic but still DCG related..

If you asked to get the 'apparent dip of the stratum' in one of the mining questions in Geologic Geometry, do you just project an elevation from the plan in the direction that they ask you,
    Yes.
    I tried it but i just get skew lines again and I presume the top and bottom lines should be paralell if I want to get the dip, I may just be doing something wrong..
    I think you should only have one line in the new elevation, join that back to the XY line of the new elevation to measure the dip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

If you asked to get the 'apparent dip of the stratum' in one of the mining questions in Geologic Geometry, do you just project an elevation from the plan in the direction that they ask you,

Just to clarify, you set up the X1Y1 for the New Elevation parallel to the direction they ask. (and the HW & FW will be parallel in this view)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Are there any resources online? Like examples or walkthrough videos or anything? Can't seem to find anything on youtube or that t4 website:)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

I did tech drawing last year and to be honest I can't see much difference from the topics on this sample paper

http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Round_7/Sample_Papers/DCG%20Sample%20paper%20HL.pdf

I do however remember how often my teacher was away for teaching courses for this subject (I'd say he missed about 3-4 weeks of school each year)

With him teaching me in his old fashioned way, I colud answer questions A2,A3,A4, All of section B, C1,C2,C3,C4. It seems to me that the decision by the Dept of Education or whoever to approach Tech drawing in a new way has blinded them to the fact that it is 90% the same material (statistic quoted from my teacher)

Not only that they seem to think that by making the questions slightly easier that the time taken will be lessened, which it won't be theres the same amount of work to be done just slightly less headscratching on the way. Would be curious to know what time limts you've been given for the questions.

Overall I'm quite annoyed as this was one of my no my favourite subject and it seems in an effort to modernise it they have messed it up (imagine the Irish Government doing something like that)

Sorry for the rant but atleast you have an opinion (for what its worth) of someone who did the old TD course

I did tech drawing last year and to be honest I can't see much difference from the topics on this sample paper

http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Round_7/Sample_Papers/DCG%20Sample%20paper%20HL.pdf

I do however remember how often my teacher was away for teaching courses for this subject (I'd say he missed about 3-4 weeks of school each year)

With him teaching me in his old fashioned way, I colud answer questions A2,A3,A4, All of section B, C1,C2,C3,C4. It seems to me that the decision by the Dept of Education or whoever to approach Tech drawing in a new way has blinded them to the fact that it is 90% the same material (statistic quoted from my teacher)

Not only that they seem to think that by making the questions slightly easier that the time taken will be lessened, which it won't be theres the same amount of work to be done just slightly less headscratching on the way. Would be curious to know what time limts you've been given for the questions.

Overall I'm quite annoyed as this was one of my no my favourite subject and it seems in an effort to modernise it they have messed it up (imagine the Irish Government doing something like that)

Sorry for the rant but atleast you have an opinion (for what its worth) of someone who did the old TD course

Well the major change is 40% of the exam is project based, primarily on computers! Thats whats modernised!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

predictions lads???????????

What are yere teachers predicting? Are they gona do a show on countdown to 306?

Advertisement