Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung LE40B650 or Sony KDL40W550

• 19-05-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I am torn between these two TV's and was wondering could anyone advise.

I'm leaning towards the Sony but hear the Samsung has an excellent after-sales service.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home Entertainment - General

dudara

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sony have a 3 year warranty now on their TV's which might be worth thinking about.

Samsung have OK after-sales service, as long as the product is within 12 months old, in my experience.

It's a tough choice though, to be fair. Personally, I preferred the aesthetic look of the W4500 compared to its successor the W5500. But it's the picture it displays that's more important! :)

I guess, go with whichever you think looks better, picture wise.

If it were me, I'd go for the Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I'm inclined to get get the Sony. I can buy it for 1,107 euro including free delivery within Ireland. The website will match any price and will offer free delivery which I don't think can be beaten!

I noticed that Samsung will play MKV files which is handy for me.

Decisions! :confused:

byte

Have you seen either of these TV's in action?

Also, check connectivity - Scarts, HDMI ports, Component if you wish to use it, etc. (eg, the new Samsung 4series plasma has only one meagre Scart socket)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Both Tvs look great, where do you plan on buying it from? if you dont mind me asking.

Is it worth going up the north to get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Think that Sammy plays avi and other video files from a memory key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Am open to correction on this, but AFAIK

Sony has MPEG4 tuner ready for DTT, Bravia engine, pic is amazing, occasionnal backlight issues

Samsung plays AVI's, Stylish, pic is almost as good as the Sony, stylish frame

both are well-reviewed tv's

Currys in Blanchardstown have the 656 for 899 ex-demo (I think), they also have the Samsung LED TV for 1400 odd which is another option

ask on avforums.com ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Marko_Man

You pay extra for just the name "Sony"

byte

Jev/N wrote: »
    Think that Sammy plays avi and other video files from a memory key
    I'm open to correction, but I believe it'll play MKV's via USB pendrive or HDD too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

byte wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I believe it'll play MKV's via USB pendrive or HDD too

My B550 does, after enabling it via the service menu. I think the 650 might do it out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

After all that, I went with a 46 inch Panasonic (plasma) for 899 euro. It has full high definition and 100Hz double scan and will play back movies at 24fps. I think I did OK.

Thanks for all comments. :)

byte

So, after that, you went with neither! Well, best of luck with your purchase, I'm sure it's a good one. Panasonic are a good brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Gadfly wrote: »
    I'm inclined to get get the Sony. I can buy it for 1,107 euro including free delivery within Ireland. The website will match any price and will offer free delivery which I don't think can be beaten!

I noticed that Samsung will play MKV files which is handy for me.

Decisions! :confused:

hi, i'm looking at this TV too. Where can you buy it for that price

thanks,
    Yegods

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

YeGods wrote: »
    hi, i'm looking at this TV too. Where can you buy it for that price

thanks,
    Yegods

Hi, u can buy it on did.ie for 968 euro though they are calling it the LE40BA650 - not sure why (rebranded to accept irish digital ??)

went to one of their stores and the model is definetly the samsung LE40B650

Advertisement