Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Tank Overflow.

Options
  • 19-05-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi Guys,

I've noticed over the last few weeks that water has been coming out of the overflow from the water tank in the attic to the garden.

After having a closer look, it looks like when the ball cock reaches a level height, water is continuing to drip out of the value which is causing this water overflow issue. What do I need to do to fix this?

I've attached 2 pics to help explain...The pics don't show the drip just the water running. Any help would be appreciated.

thx.

DSC04254.JPG

DSC04255.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Had exactly the same problem. Didn't do anything about it for months and of course it got worse. Eventually called a plumber in and he adjusted the height on the ball cock and hey presto problem fixed. Cost me a grand total of €35. Wish I'd done it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lars-irl

Not sure how I adjust the height of the ball cock...It's looks like it's clipped onto the value..Even If I adjust the height it won't stop the drip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

could be piece of dirt in valve,
    could be worn rubber in valve

if u take out split pin that is holding in the ball cock and then unscrew the front off u will be able to take it apart to see if dirty or worn

of course the water should be off.

Alternatively u could bend the bar that the b'cock is on downwards into the water to increase the pressure on the valve.
    However unless u know what you are at it is v easy to either snap off the ball or snap the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can try bend the arm of the ball cock so it pushes the ball down into the water shutting it off a little earlier. If this does not work you will need to have a new ball cock fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Lars-irl wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've noticed over the last few weeks that water has been coming out of the overflow from the water tank in the attic to the garden.

After having a closer look, it looks like when the ball cock reaches a level height, water is continuing to drip out of the value which is causing this water overflow issue. What do I need to do to fix this?

I've attached 2 pics to help explain...The pics don't show the drip just the water running. Any help would be appreciated.

thx.

I had the same problem with exactly the same valve. It was caused by build-up of crispy, crumbly stuff inside the valve. The water in the area is fairly hard so the years of flow had left their deposits the same as the stala-yokes you get in underground caves. Anyway, turn off incoming water supply, drain the tank a bit by turning on your bathroom cold tap for a while and take out the valve by unscrewing the nut on the outside of the tank. Off to the hardware shop with you and spend the ten or twenty quid to get a new valve (and attached ball arm - think you re-use the ball itself). Bring the old one with you. Putting in the new one will only take a few minutes, half hour tops if it's hard to reach and you're crawling.
    Other option is to take the valve out, clean it out (they're very simple things) and try it again but you might find that the seal isn't as good as before because the rubber rings degrade with age and won't like being moved. Of course the seal only matters if the water level reaches the valve level again.

Note: I'm not a plumber. I think Joey above is so if he disagrees, he's probably right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement