Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to combat slow browsing?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I have good speeds of NTL 10meg.

I can max out my connection when downloading via utorrent.

But where should a start when trying to find the problem of slow browsing.

even loading this page takes 4 or 5 seconds.

I have a wireless G router . I am running utorrent 24-7 but I am not leeching.

Could I have a configeration problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Having torrents running with many connections will slow browsing

Is uTorrent uploading? Filling Your upload kills your download and will add latency to pages. You should never give it 100% upload. Bittorrent settings calculator

Running wireless will also add a little latency compared to cabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have turned Utorrent off.

still running a little slow.

the web page connects. I get the background colour of the webpage.

but it stalls with the content.

If I hover the cursor over the wireless network icon it says "speed 54.0 Mbs"

If I upgrade my router, will this speed improve, or is it the speed of the receiver on my laptop?.

I get 100Mbs if I plug straight into the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A good idea would be to use http://www.opendns.com That would at least remove DNS as an issue.

Plug in a patch lead and disconnect wireless and see if it improves, wireless is always a little slower, even in the same room as the wifi router
    Run a ping to boards.ie by opening command prompt (start-->run-->type "cmd"), type "ping www.boards.ie" and copy or printscreen the result here

The 54Mbs and 100Mbs speeds are the maximum speeds your wireless and network card can run at, it means nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what browser ??

what av ??

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Plug in a patch lead and disconnect wireless and see if it improves, wireless is always a little slower, even in the same room as the wifi router
    Run a ping to boards.ie by opening command prompt (start-->run-->type "cmd"), type "ping www.boards.ie" and copy or printscreen the result here

The 54Mbs and 100Mbs speeds are the maximum speeds your wireless and network card can run at, it means nothing

browser is IE
    on XP.
    ping.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

perfect ping, is it ie8?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    perfect ping, is it ie8?

no i had 7.

Just installed IE 8. it seems a whole lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

firefox.

:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gsxr1 wrote: »
    no i had 7.

Just installed IE 8. it seems a whole lot better.

Try firefox - I find ie8 has a lot of issues with different sites.

Also have you done all your virus scans and so on?

Also do you experience the slow browsing in other locations?

Do you have plenty of space on your c drive?

• Advertisement

Pings are perfect

Get Firefox with the Adblock addon (subscribe to the Easylist USA) is the perfect combination, really speeds up your browsing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Dont want to hijack the thread or start a new one.

I have a Belken G Plus Wireless Router about 3-4 years old with a max 54mb (I know ill never get this)

Iam on UPC 3mb and am wondering if i update my wireless router to a newer higher spec will i get better speeds down and up?

dub45 wrote: »
    Try firefox - I find ie8 has a lot of issues with different sites.

Also have you done all your virus scans and so on?

Also do you experience the slow browsing in other locations?

Do you have plenty of space on your c drive?

space is an issue, never thought of that.

AVG is quite lite though.

Since the reinstall its running fine.

so used to IE now, Does firefox have a spell checker and Gmail tab? 2 reasons i love my IE so much.

thanks for all your help by the way. twice as fast after the open DNS and update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yayamark wrote: »
    Dont want to hijack the thread or start a new one.

I have a Belken G Plus Wireless Router about 3-4 years old with a max 54mb (I know ill never get this)

Iam on UPC 3mb and am wondering if i update my wireless router to a newer higher spec will i get better speeds down and up?

go to www.speedtest.net and run a speed test there. if you are getting rasonably near your advertised 3mbps (3072kbps down 768kbps up) then a better router will not make any difference to how fast you are able to use the internet.

your 54mbps speed is the speed that your PC/Laptop is able to communicate with your modem/router and your 3mbps speed is the speed that your modem is able to sommicate with the Internet.

PC----54mbps----MODEM/ROUTER----3mbps----INTERNET

assuming your modem/router and PC are configured correctly and there are no performance issues with it, changing to a faster router/modem will only speed up your home network (the blue bit) you'll have to upgrade your internet package with your ISP to make the internet faster.

sorry, i'd planned on fleshing the explanation out a bit but i have a docs appointment and have to run. :)

After giving firefox another try , i cant seem to find a simple spell checker like the tab that IE has on the gmail tool bar.

which is very disappointing.

FireFox sacked as I cant spell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Firefox has a built in spell checker

After giving firefox another try , i cant seem to find a simple spell checker like the tab that IE has on the gmail tool bar.

which is very disappointing.

FireFox sacked as I cant spell :(

Its already built in, make sure its enabled, Tools-->options-->advanced-->make sure "Check my Spelling as I Type" is ticked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Does firefox have a spell checker and Gmail tab? 2 reasons i love my IE so much.
    LOLZ.....FF has any addon you can think of
    its open source software sure

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    as for a spell checker : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366 every time a miss spelled word is wrong, its red underlined, just rick click and select correct spelling. or install the google toolbar, it has a cool spell checker i use all the time
    its so customizable you wouldn't believe it, ditch IE its muck, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it

BOBBY wrote: »
    LOLZ.....FF has any addon you can think of
    its open source software sure

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    as for a spell checker : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366 every time a miss spelled word is wrong, its red underlined, just rick click and select correct spelling. or install the google toolbar, it has a cool spell checker i use all the time
    its so customizable you wouldn't believe it, ditch IE its muck, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it

got it working fanks:D

is there a way to make text more attractive on fire fox? The text seems more pixely compared to IE on every web page

is there a way to make text more attractive on fire fox? The text seems more pixely compared to IE on every web page

Now You are getting petty, You can customise with any font You wish, here, there's even a Vista and XP IE theme if You look

• Advertisement

I take it all back . this is great.

I sorted the pixely text on forums and other web pages by doing this
    You can enable ClearType, used by IE as default, but you need to enable it system wide to make other programs use it.
    XP: Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects: "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"

It now looks smooth like IE.

PogMoThoin thanks for the link.

everything is cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi,

I'm running Firefox and a 3mb wired connection from BT which speedtests out just now as follows:
    Speed
    Download speed: 2535488 bps
    Upload speed: 241312 bps
    Quality of service: 98 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum TCP delay: 10 ms
    Average download pause: 4 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 21 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 23 ms

VoIP
    ----
    Jitter: you --> server: 4.1 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.8 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of VoIP lines supported: 11
    Estimated MOS score: 3.7

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 4.1 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.8 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 2535488 bps
    Upload speed: 241312 bps
    Quality of service: 98 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum TCP delay: 10 ms
    Average download pause: 4 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 21 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 23 ms
    Estimated download bandwidth: 2640000bps
    Route concurrency: 1.0412197
    Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
    Maximum route speed: 24965712bps

If I type in a Google search and hit enter the page loads in about a second. Playing around with other sites gives a page load time of anything from 1 second to 8 seconds. Am I correct in supposing that this variation has to do with the sites themselves and that there is nothing to be gained by changing to a faster connection / new modem / whatever.

Granted, the BT connection often isn't this fast but loading a Google page doesn't ever take more than a couple of seconds which seems to put the delay on the sites and not the hardware/connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Thats my results wireless with IE7 running and Skype running

Any Good for a 3mb line

http://www.speedtest.net/result/478435449.png

478435449.png
    vibe666 wrote: »
    go to www.speedtest.net and run a speed test there. if you are getting rasonably near your advertised 3mbps (3072kbps down 768kbps up) then a better router will not make any difference to how fast you are able to use the internet.

your 54mbps speed is the speed that your PC/Laptop is able to communicate with your modem/router and your 3mbps speed is the speed that your modem is able to sommicate with the Internet.

PC----54mbps----MODEM/ROUTER----3mbps----INTERNET

assuming your modem/router and PC are configured correctly and there are no performance issues with it, changing to a faster router/modem will only speed up your home network (the blue bit) you'll have to upgrade your internet package with your ISP to make the internet faster.

sorry, i'd planned on fleshing the explanation out a bit but i have a docs appointment and have to run. :)

Advertisement