Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming Problem

Options
  • 19-05-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I just have a quick question, when streaming videos from almost any video site, my computer allows the video to load a whole minute before playing. Can I change this so that it plays immediately?

If it makes any difference, Im using a recent (pre-Vista) Windows on a Dell laptop

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

What your seeing is called buffering, its more apparent on slow connections. Its Dependant on a lot of things..length of video,the quality,speed of you connection etc.

The best way to elevate this as best you can is increase you line speed with your ISP or depending on what player the video is displayed on you can increase the amount of space the player is allowed to use on your comp.

Quick example on how to do this is go to the following .....

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=IUZKC0IV

when the video starts playing right click on it, now click settings, move the slider bar as far as you wish (I use unlimited).
    A minor tweak and will need to be done for every video site you use but it may help.

*Note this may led to adverse effects on browsing performance as all that info is stored on the browser temp explorer files (also a good tip if you want to save embedded video from a site just play it in full and access you temp explorer folder and filter by file size or origin, you can then save the item where and how you want) Anyway you may want to clear your browsing data whenever possible to keep it tip top.

Hope it help buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Thanks I really appreciate the reply but what confuses me is that this happens to my computer even when im using very high speed internet at college, and doesnt happen to the other computers at home. It seems to be just mine! Either way, its not too long to wait but is just frustrating sometimes.

Your other tip about the temporary files is really useful thanks.

Advertisement