Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecturing in IT's?

• 19-05-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished my degree in an IT related field, with intent to pursue my masters. I ideally want to lecture - Could somebody clarify if it is possible to Lecture in IT's with just a Masters, or should I really set my mind on taking my education further if I want a serious shot at becoming a lecturer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sorry, I just read Tom Dunne's thread and that's covered most of what I need to know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just remember, as bad as things were when I wrote that, the chances of you getting a job in an IT now have gone from unlikely to not-a-hope-in-hell.

Disheartening tbh :( Really have my hopes set on lecturing. I'll go for my masters either way, and if something comes up - it comes up, if not - then I'll at least be qualified for something.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Disheartening tbh :( Really have my hopes set on lecturing.

Welcome to my world. :)

Check the papers around August/early September for part-time/evening positions. It's the only way to get your foot in the door.

thanks Tom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Keep an eye on the universities too, strangely the old recession seems to be working out better for us mid-limbo finishing phd's.

There is quite a lot of contract work going in the Uni's now (as Tom said, IT sector is dead for now - I haven't gotten a single open tender email in almost a year).

University hiring freezes are forcing departments to outsource teaching (in our case tutorials, modules and thesis supervision) to mid-level postgrads. Works out cheaper for them long term, so keep an eye. If you're serious about the lecturing, consider thrashing out a proposal and get up with a good supervisor - the MLitt/PhD registration will go a long way. Get on department mailing lists also.

And good luck!

Ironically, I spotted this in the Irish Times yesterday. It's in Limerick IT.

So, it shows some places are actually hiring.

Advertisement