Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NTL/Chorus our only options?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

:confused:Recently moved into a new apartment and would greatly appreciate some advice.

Unfortunately, though I have an account with Sky this doesn't appear to be an option as we can't hang a dish. My second question is does this simply leave us with the option of chorus/ntl.

From here, is there any special deals at the moment etc. . Ideally seeking Basic channels and Broadband initially and will add Sky sports and Setanta come August. Is it a better idea to get Broadband separately?

Please help if you can, thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You could have a dish on a Balcony

You could have an aerial and just Irish Channels.

UPC (ex Chorus/NTL) are good value for Broadband, which you can get without the TV. Sky do comminunal dishes that use the regular box, see if others would like satellite too.

Keep your Sky box anyway, it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

watty wrote: »

You could have an aerial and just Irish Channels.

UPC (ex Chorus/NTL) are good value for Broadband, which you can get without the TV. Sky do comminunal dishes that use the regular box, see if others would like satellite too.

Keep your Sky box anyway, it's yours.

Thanks for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

UPC (ex Chorus/NTL) are good value for Broadband, which you can get without the TV. .

Are you sure about this? I want to leave UPC and get in SKY for the tv but keep the upc broadband, but presumed you have to pay basic tv subscription aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I want to leave UPC and get in SKY for the tv but keep the upc broadband, but presumed you have to pay basic tv subscription aswell..

Watty is spot on...you can get just broadband without the tv package from UPC..but they have a €10 downgrade fee....so if u want to get rid of the tv they will ask for a €10 admin charge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Maybe not - most leases prohibit display of certain items on balconies such as washing lines, clothes horses, satellite dishes. Balconies are also common property.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

athtrasna wrote: »
    Maybe not - most leases prohibit display of certain items on balconies such as washing lines, clothes horses, satellite dishes. Balconies are also common property.

Really it depends if people can see it or not from the footpath, if not then you'd likely get away with it.

I've also the feeling (IANAL) that if someone was to challenge management companies in court that they would win as long as they aren't leaving mad stuff like a NASA sat dish on their balcony.

Also I recommend to anyone buying an apartment to cross out the sections in the contract pertaining to sat dishes and initial it when signing the contract. In the current economic climate, the builders and management companies wouldn't dear to disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

YOu can put a square frame and plastic sheet and then it looks like a box on your balcony.

Advertisement