Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids harassing swans

Options
  • 19-05-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I was around the Barrow area for a while today and I saw at least three teenagers (two together, and one on his own a while later) standing on the boards that the rowing club have put in the river. These kids were harassing the swans and generally making a nuisance of themselves. One of these geniuses was even trying to put his foot in a swans mouth. Then he starts complaining about the swans being at him.

I also returned to the river later in the evening and saw a number of swans had red liquid on them. At first I couldn't figure out what this liquid was. Then I saw a red powdery substance in a pile on the boards. I got over the wall to take a closer look and it appeared to be fish bait as there was maggots crawling around in it (I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to fish bait as I've never fished). I'm not sure if this is harmful to swans but I scooped it up with a piece of cardboard, put it in a bag and threw it in the bin. I certainly hope it isn't harmful as I saw a number of swans tasting it before I cleared it up.

Why is it that teenagers in Carlow can't leave anything alone? Seriously, the minute the rowing club put some boards in the river kids climb over the wall and start harassing the swans.

P.S. If anyone responds to this please avoid saying anything too violent about kids as the last time I had a rant some members got in a little trouble here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

oh god. dont know what to say but oh god. i would love to treat them like they treat the swans...imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

aynon wrote: »
    oh god. dont know what to say but oh god. i would love to treat them like they treat the swans...imo
    If I said what I really think about these 'people' I'd be banned so I'll just say... I disagree strongly with their actions. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't worry the red powder you saw will not harm the swans in any way.

super-rush wrote: »
    Don't worry the red powder you saw will not harm the swans in any way.
    Thanks. That's good to know.
    I didn't really think it would harm them, I just thought I'd better be safe than sorry. :)

If you want i can give you the number for the local Waterways Ireland officer in case you see Swans being harassed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

when u spotted this initally u should have walked away and rang the guards.
    leave it to them to sort.

when u spotted this initally u should have walked away and rang the guards.
    leave it to them to sort.
    The problem is that kids are probably going to be constantly doing this. As soon as the gardai deal with one teenager or group of teenagers more teenagers will harass the swans. Personally I think the rowing club should be keeping an eye on these boards.

If you want i can give you the number for the local Waterways Ireland officer in case you see Swans being harassed again.
    Thanks. I would like the number please.

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Irish Guitarist this is not the first time this has happened and if memory serves me correctly you have posted about this before or else someone else has. Maybe with the time that is in it you could put some pressure on the councillors with regards to some observation being placed on the well-being of the swans in the park and indeed the surrounding areas of the town because lets face it when it coes to the town council it's probably only the little bit of hope anyone has of getting some help for them.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388489

You're memory serves you well Dan. I spoke to the Billy the Waterways Ireland officer and he is more than happy to help. Having sat on various committees for the last couple of years certain things have come to my attention regarding the Barrow, particularly in Carlow town. First off there will be a 9ft high wall erected from the millennium bridge to the boat club to combat flood waters. This is going to be one hell of an eyesore. Secondly water will be removed from the Barrow to supply drinking water for the people in North Wicklow/South Dublin. This is going to see the level of the river drop by at least a foot. Also the weirs are going to be done away with. The reason for this is because all major boat traffic will now only be allowed to come as far as Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

First off there will be a 9ft high wall erected from the millennium bridge to the boat club to combat flood waters. This is going to be one hell of an eyesore.

Pardon my ignorance but could you tell me how this would solve the problem? :p It'll just push the problem onto somewhere else, or out into Graigue? The floods we had back in August were nothing compared to what I remember from my youth (and I'm only 25), I've seen it far worse. Anyone from Carlow or whom is familiar with the area knows that floods are an almost annual event, the problem is with the developers and where they chose to land their luxury flats and apartments knowing too well of the risk of flood. Which in turn leads the 'blow ins' (for the want of a better word :D) whom have had there properties damaged to claim that its the worst thing they've ever seen, global warming gets brought in, end of the world, etc etc :P. Like I said, I've seen it worse and it has been far far worse for hundreds of years, its nature, its the lie of the land and I think the belief is that if enough money is thrown at the problem a solution will magically appear.

We may be able to do many things now adays but man has still yet to conquer nature! :pac:

I hear you brother. Lets all thank the Green Party......

You're memory serves you well Dan. I spoke to the Billy the Waterways Ireland officer and he is more than happy to help. Having sat on various committees for the last couple of years certain things have come to my attention regarding the Barrow, particularly in Carlow town. First off there will be a 9ft high wall erected from the millennium bridge to the boat club to combat flood waters. This is going to be one hell of an eyesore. Secondly water will be removed from the Barrow to supply drinking water for the people in North Wicklow/South Dublin. This is going to see the level of the river drop by at least a foot. Also the weirs are going to be done away with. The reason for this is because all major boat traffic will now only be allowed to come as far as Athy.

I'm glad that the Waterways Ireland officer is happy to help. I tried phoning a few times myself yesterday but I guess his mobile was switched off.

I hope that nine foot wall doesn't get built. :mad: Apart from being an eyesore I'd be concerned about how the swans would move around freely. I know most people think "they're only swans" but swans have been swimming around in rivers long before people started worrying about their expensive apartment being flooded. Anything beautiful or scenic in Carlow seems to be destroyed to make way for property. I've lived in Carlow all my life (33 years) and I hate the way every bit of grass gets dug up to make way for a new estate or apartment block. The river and the surrounding areas are one of the few remaining places of beauty left in Carlow and should be left intact.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Irish Guitarist this is not the first time this has happened and if memory serves me correctly you have posted about this before or else someone else has. Maybe with the time that is in it you could put some pressure on the councillors with regards to some observation being placed on the well-being of the swans in the park and indeed the surrounding areas of the town because lets face it when it coes to the town council it's probably only the little bit of hope anyone has of getting some help for them.

I did mention similar incidents here before. I guess I should start pressuring the council to do something. I did spend hours one day trying to phone the ISPCA about an injured swan but I guess the council would be a safer bet so they can do something before a swan is injured. Swans seem to be in threat from various human activities and these boards in the river are yet another one.

Apart from annoying the swans, I've seen kids jumping up and down on these boards (sometimes when their parents are watching) to see if they'll break. I can just see someone eventually breaking them, falling in to the Barrow and the parents suing the rowing club.

Anyone from Carlow or whom is familiar with the area knows that floods are an almost annual event, the problem is with the developers and where they chose to land their luxury flats and apartments knowing too well of the risk of flood.
    I remember JC Video being flooded every year when I was a kid.
    Whoever decided to build an apartment block in that area was a genius of epic proportions.

I was just at the Barrow and I saw a large block of styrofoam in the river. The swans were eating this and I'm concerned for their safety. I managed to find a long stick and dragged the block out of the water but there's still a lot of small pieces left. Is there anyone I can call about this? I tried the Irish Waterways officer, but I can't get through. Anyone else I can call at this time of night (9.30PM)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PhotosMobilePho

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Try your local ISPCA or call the dog warden who should be able to direct you to the correct person.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the number on the site is the one I just phoned.

• Advertisement

Try your local ISPCA or call the dog warden who should be able to direct you to the correct person.

Thanks. Sadly the Carlow SPCA isn't active. I'll try looking for a dog warden though.

http://www.ispca.ie/ISPCA-Dog-Warden-Service.aspx

ISPCA
    Dog Wardens
    The ISPCA is committed to managing a Dog Warden Service which guarantees the compassionate treatment of stray and unwanted dogs and enhances their prospect of finding a safe and caring home.

If there are no Dog Warden Service details listed for your County please contact your Local Authority.

The ISPCA manages the dog warden service in the following counties.

Carlow / Kilkenny
    Dog Wardens: Aisling Byrne (Carlow), Michael Morrisey (Kilkenny), Kennel Assistant Fiona Carbery
    Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, Garyduff, Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny
    Tel 059 9726785
    www.carlowkilkennyds.ie

Clare
    Dog Warden: Frank Coote
    Kennel Assistant: Joe Coote
    Pound Address: I.S.P.C.A. Dog Shelter, Gort Road, Ennis, Co. Clare.
    Tel: 065 6820393

Donegal
    Dog Wardens: Jackie Murphy, Sammy Parkes
    Pound Address: I.S.P.C.A. Dog Shelter, Glencar Scotch, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
    Tel: 074 9125159

Kildare
    Dog Wardens: Frank Mitchell, Seamus Deay
    Kennel Assistant: Eugene Lawler
    Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, Portersize, Ballitore, Co. Kildare
    Tel: 059 8623388

Laois
    Dog Warden: Tristan Blundell
    Kennel Assistant: Mary Blundell
    Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, The Red House, Ballacolla, Co. Laois.
    Tel: 057 8734067
    Mobile: 086 2556298
    Email: tristan-blundell@iolfree.ie

Offaly
    Dog Warden: Ray Mulhall
    Kennel Assistant: Eunice Fox
    Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, Capincur, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.
    Tel: 057 9351181

Roscommon
    Dog Warden: Kennel Assistant Gerry O'Donoghue
    Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, Rockfield, Donamon Co. Roscommon
    Tel: 09066 62992

Wicklow
    Dog Wardens: John Byrne (Snr.), Noel Hayes
    Kennel Assistant: Declan Byrne

Pound Address: ISPCA Dog Shelter, Ballygannon Mor, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow.
    Tel: 0404 44873

If there are no Dog Warden Service details listed for your County please contact your Local Authority.

http://www.ispca.ie/spca-near-you.aspx

Kildare S.P.C.A.
    Email: kspca@eircom.net
    Hon. Secretary: Mrs. Kitty O'Brien, Moytura, Charterlands, Athy, Co. Kildare
    Telephone: 087 6887136
    Inspector: Stewart King
    Telephone: 087 2517381

Kilkenny S.P.C.A.
    Email: info@kilkennyspca.ie
    Web: www.kilkennyspca.ie
    Inspectors: Mr. Noel O'Donoghue, Kilkenny SPCA, Hebron Industrial Estate, Hebron Road, Co. Kilkenny
    Telephone: 056 7771635 or 086 8172167

Laois S.P.C.A.
    Web: www.freewebs.com/lspca
    Tel: 087 6883333
    Hon. Secretar: Eileen Kerry
    Inspectors: Brendan Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Shine a torch in the sky Batman lives in Graige:pac:

Thanks for the help (those that helped rather than leaving a "funny" answer). I went back to see if the swans were alright. Most of the pieces of styrofoam seem to be gone. Hopefully whatever the swans digested won't affect them negatively and will pass through their system. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Thanks for the help (those that helped rather than leaving a "funny" answer). I went back to see if the swans were alright. Most of the pieces of styrofoam seem to be gone. Hopefully whatever the swans digested won't affect them negatively and will pass through their system. Hopefully.

going to merge this with the existing swans thread, we don't want to be overrun by animal issues

For instances like that you need to contact the environmental officer James Lakes who is also running in the local elections in Bagenalstown(not a plug i promise, even if he is a good friend) office hours only im afraid. He is based at the council offices in carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was in the Steakhouse for a meal Friday night and I witnessed about 10-15 youths throwing very large rocks at the swans from the bridge, it was sickening and when one hit a swan they all celebrated.

I was going to call the guards but then they all legged it, bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

It's bad news alright.
    When I was a kid though, I thought it was great craic to throw stones at birds.
    There was a line of them outside my backyard,on a wire.
    I threw stones at them everyday. Never hit one.

One day, however, I did!

I was immeditley elated/guilty at the same time.

It turned out that I hit the 'mother bird' & all her chicks were flying round the yard, wondering where she was.
    I was overcome with remorse! So much so that I never ventured into the yard for at least a month afterwards.

That happened 30 years ago & I've never tried to kill a bird afterwards.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I was in the Steakhouse for a meal Friday night and I witnessed about 10-15 youths throwing very large rocks at the swans from the bridge, it was sickening and when one hit a swan they all celebrated.

I was going to call the guards but then they all legged it, bastards

Was the swan hurt? I've grown very attached to the these swans over the last year and I'd hate to see anything happen to them.

Carlow teenagers in general seem to have little or no respect for animals.

Advertisement