Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic insuance on MKII for 18yr old

Options
  • 19-05-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi!
    I'm mad to get a MKII coupe but I'm not sure what the story iswith regards to insurance? Is there any way I can get insurance even though I'm under 25 and all that? What other limitations are there? Can anyone help please!!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

mk2 what? use the search function lad, this has been covered to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you can get insurance.

you cannot get Classic Insurance

You cannot avoid high premiums due to your age and choice of car by getting a Classic Policy

you would need to have everyday cover on a normal car first anyway before you could get Classic Insurance no matter what age you are.

the Insurance Companies werent born yesterday

Short answer :NO

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Welcome to boards, dfw1991 :)

The lads are a bit harsh, but they are probably right. Check out the link to classic insurance in the charter. Also just ring all the insurance companies and all brokers (yellow pages for numbers). Who knows, you might get a reasonable (non-classic) quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

As far as I know you have to have full license and be at least 25 to get classic insurance bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Redrocket wrote: »
    mk2 what? use the search function lad, this has been covered to death

In all fairness, he is only 18 and that was his first post. I have done it loads of times over the years, asking questons that have alreay been answered, jayus we all have in fairness.

If he had 20 or more posts and asked that question then I would agree with ya.
    Also any question he asks is easily sorted by a search on google and possibly from a different website than boards, so fair play to him for registering and asking.

not getting onto you or anything bud, I just remember getting me first bike and been mad aboutthe thought of it is all. ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Welcome to boards, dfw1991 :)

The lads are a bit harsh, but they are probably right. Check out the link to classic insurance in the charter. Also just ring all the insurance companies and all brokers (yellow pages for numbers). Who knows, you might get a reasonable (non-classic) quote.

im sorry if i seemed harsh...i thought i was merely answering the question, giving the info required and the reason why it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dfw1991

Sorry about that lads!! I tried to search about classic insurance but I couldn't find any posts. Thanks for the info anyway. I think the basic idea is that I can get insurance but NOT CLASSIC insurance!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

im curious too, is there a difference between classic insurance and vintage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

seanybiker wrote: »
    I just remember getting me first bike and been mad aboutthe thought of it is all. ;)
    First bike i had,an NSR 125,800 quid to insure the first year,i thought great,went and bought the bike,insured it etc,then the next years quote,i kid you not was 3500eu....and that was with one years bonus..:confused::eek::mad:

Thats when i bought a corsa.:p

Tomebagel wrote: »
    im curious too, is there a difference between classic insurance and vintage?

basically no, but bear in mind that companies vary in what they do and dont do.There is no hard and fast definition of Classic/Vintage Insurance. generally you will need to be over 25, have an ordinary car already insured,have a full license...some companies will cover cars of 20 years old and less...all subject to negotiation (they are more likely to want to cover an obvious occasionally user than a classic fiesta perhaps...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

what mk2? i have a picture of a pink mk2 golf in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

Hibernian Aviva now do classic/ collectors car insurance, you only have to be 23 with a full licence, i think its 5 years claims free driving, have another car and policy for everyday use and its limited to 5000 miles- though i am not sure how they monitor this as they never asked the mileage when getting the policy.
    anyway my husband got it on his MK1 fiesta for €210 fully comp! my 23 year old brother got it on his 78 kadett too for the same price so it must be a standard price across the board!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for sharing that, ash_18x :)

Good to see the age limit coming down.

good news...do you think it also covers other named drivers of 23 and over too?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

corktina wrote: »
    good news...do you think it also covers other named drivers of 23 and over too?

it could possibly, it didnt even dawn on me to put me on the policy, damn it!
    i was dealing with aviva in waterford and i have to say they couldnt have been nicer, might be worth ringing them!

three years to wait.....:cool:

Advertisement