Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2010

• 19-05-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided that instead of sticking a couple of hundred lump bet I'm going to stick a tenner on my chosen team every so often from now until next summers world cup. I lose enough to the bookies as it is anyway and the odds are sure to change over the next 12 months. I've backed the winner of the last 2 tournaments so I'm going for 3 in a row.

So who do we fancy at this early stage?

Argentina - 11/2
    Spain - 11/2
    Brazil - 6/1
    England - 9/1
    Italy - 25/2
    Germany - 13/1
    Netherlands - 15/1
    France - 23/1
    Portugal - 40/1
    Ivory Coast - 40/1
    Russia - 44/1
    Paraguay - 65/1
    Croatia - 85/1
    Nigeria, Cameroon, Mexico, Ghana, Australia, Uruguay, South Africa, Serbia, USA, Denmark - 100 < 200/1
    Rest > 200/1

I think this might be a year for a European team. No European team has won the World Cup outside of Europe even though a European team has reached the final on 6 of those 8 occasions. But with it being in Africa for the first time and most top players playing in Europe these days it's a stat waiting to be broken.

First of all Argentina are way underpriced imo. Their manager is completely unproven and they lost their last match 6-1.

I think I'll be looking closely at France at that price. I know Domenech is disliked but he has made a world cup final and they've plenty of attacking players to choose from. Henry, Anelka, Benzema, Ribery, Malouda, Gourcuff, Nasri... They've 2 of the highest rated full backs in the premiership, they're well covered in central midfield. Still short in central defence by the looks of things but I'd still back them now at that price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Brazil at 6/1 is a nice price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

11/2 Spain or 40/1 Ivory Coast.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At this stage I'd take Spain as my favourites, but I wouldn't rule out England with Capello in charge

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

belgium to reach the semis if they qualify should be a decent bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

At this stage I'd take Spain as my favourites, but I wouldn't rule out England with Capello in charge

I would, the players are ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

There hasn't been consecutive European winners of the World Cup since the '30s, so you'd think it's Brazil's or Argentina's turn. But neither are going to get very far with their current managers.

My heart would like to think this is finally Hollands time, but if I were to bet right now, I'd go with Spain, with England not far behind.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

themont85 wrote: »
    5 wins out of 5 so far in their qualification, beat Croatia fairly handily if i remember correctly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

5 wins out of 5 so far in their qualification, beat Croatia fairly handily if i remember correctly.

They've looked hot on a number of occasions in the qualifiers to be fair and went on to bottle it completely. Of their top players currently 2 play in the same position and the other 2 are centre halfs made to look a lot better than they are because of their foreign club compatriates. Rooney obviousely is class. Still don't fancy them, they have a lot of overrated players in their squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know I think they could field a team, player for player, of similar standard to the Man Utd one. But I suppose the understanding that, say, Ferdinand and Vidic have together counts for a lot more. The same goes for a lot of international teams though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Still don't fancy them, they have a lot of overrated players in their squad.

Wouldn't agree with that, I've heard it said that the Gerrard bloke is quite a good player, Lampard, Ferdinand are also quality, throw in Rooney also, hardly a ****e team. Have to disagree with your point on the cbs been made look good, they are playing at the highest level, they would be found out if they were not good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that, I've heard it said that the Gerrard bloke is quite a good player, Lampard, Ferdinand are aso quality, throw in Rooney also, hardly a ****e team. Have to disagree with your point on the cbs been made look good, they are playing at the highest level, they would be found out if they were not good.

England all the way for me. Would love to see them win. The brazil price is looking very nice too though.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that, I've heard it said that the Gerrard bloke is quite a good player, Lampard, Ferdinand are also quality, throw in Rooney also, hardly a ****e team. Have to disagree with your point on the cbs been made look good, they are playing at the highest level, they would be found out if they were not good.

Lampard and Gerrard can't play together,that's been established for years. Ye they have some class players but imo not enough to be considered with Spain or Brazil. Rooney whilst class isn't a consistant goalscorer a la Owen or Shearer in the past, is Heskey?

Also there is a reason that England failed in 2006 and not even qualifying in 2008 and its not just managment. Erikson and McClaren are decent managers and have proven at their clubs over the years, there is a deficency in the England camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im a big fan of argentina but maradona has rightly fu.cked them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Headshot wrote: »
    im a big fan of argentina but maradona has rightly fu.cked them up

WTF?

4 games, 3 wins, 1 defeat. A bit early to be calling him a fcuk up.
    The defeat was 6-1 away to Bolivia, which looks fairly disastrous, but LaPaz is 3000metres above sea level and they couldn't acclimatise as they'd had a home game 3 days earlier.

The future may or may not prove you right, but its madness on a JesusGil scale to pass judgement now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

With Hiddink at the helm Russia e/w at 44/1 looks tempting. I think an African team will make the semi-finals, but I don't really know which one. Ivory Coast might be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really think England have a really good shot at the next world cup. I think Capello is an excellent manager and is beginning to deal with the systematic problems in the team in a constructive way.

I think I'll be backing France so. Nothing to put me off backing them at that price with the players they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I think I'll be backing France so. Nothing to put me off backing them at that price with the players they have.

France with a partnership of Mexes and Squillaci would have both the ariel ability, pace and ability to read the game needed to beat anyone and with Evra and Sanga one each side would be as good a back 4 as anyone.

Only problem is that nut job manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

france, holland and germany look to be at outstanding odds.

Are Germany not just a weaker version of Bayern? I suppose they didn't have a team of fantastic individuals when they made the '02 final though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Netherlands - 15/1

I always punt on the Oranje. More out of affection than anything.

Definitely will take a chance on England and France this time I think.

Advertisement