Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up a UPVC door ?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone in here will be able to help with this.

Our house has a white UPVC front door & surround. I think it's about eight-ten years old (was in the house when we bought it & we're here six years).

The surface of the door has become dull & slightly yellow (or dimmer white) in places & I was wondering if there's anything I could do to brighten it up. Obviously painting it is out, but would maybe T-Cutting it & possibly waxing it (white restorative coloured car wax) work ?

I've just painted the front of the house & this just looks really off now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

try white jif. it should bring it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jif is great for PVC, Woodies sell a uPVC window frame cleaner, I have used it and its good, but my doors have not turned yellow with age, one of the windows was original and I had not changed it, the Woodies uPVC cleaner cleaned it, but the colour remained yellowish.
    I don't think that the yellow can be cleaned off because its not a stain, it's an actual colour change due to sun and time, you can not restore uPVC to it's original colour, there are products like Upvc restorer etc, but to the best of my knowledge its a chemical change to the uPVC due to the stabiliser that was used to make the door. There are special paints though, but I dont know how they would turn out

Advertisement