Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All threads show as read, after logging out

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

When I visit the site, all the threads with new posts (and some not so new), show as unread. However, if I log in to write and log out afterwards, all threads show as read, even though I haven't read them all.

How do I stop this happening, or how do I get it back to showing the threads with new/unread posts?

At present, the only way I can do this is to leave the site and return later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'll leave it to a techie-Mod to explain properly why that is, but solutions are to either log in when you actually enter the site (click remember me if the computer is not shared by anyone else) and click on a thread/reply every 15 minutes or so to keep your session alive, which may not be a good idea in theory, while you are typing long posts. Or a special script is made to store which threads users have visited ever, and when the last visit to that thread was, instead of using session data (possibly).

I prefer the first option. But I could be wrong about the second option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Thanks, Gordon. There doesn't seem to be a thank you button available here in Help Desk.

I have been too busy to get back to this before now. I do click 'remember me' when I log in, and I don't get logged out until I do so myself. The problem I have is after I log out: all the threads show as read. Does this mean that I have to stay logged in to see which posts are showing as new?

I don't understand your second option :)!!

Advertisement