Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of Bus Routes in Galway City?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Anyone know does a map of bus routes around Galway exist?

I've to get out to the Clybaun Hotel tomorrow evening from the city centre and can't find any decent bus info....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gary82 wrote: »
    Anyone know does a map of bus routes around Galway exist?

I've to get out to the Clybaun Hotel tomorrow evening from the city centre and can't find any decent bus info....

Thanks

There is a map for Bus Eireann, very "schematic" and wrong in a few details. BE don't have in on their website, you need to go into the office to pick up a printed timetable. Don't know if there's a map for City Direct or not.

I'm pretty sure the 2W (Knocknacarra or Seacrest) takes you within walking distance of the Clybaun. Times are on the BE website, http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202229918-Galway2W.pdf Some of the City Direct services may take you even closer, but I'm not sure which ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ah I'd forgotten about City Direct, pretty bad form that BE don't have a map on their site.

Found the city direct map and they've a few routes passing the hotel - sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gary

Thanks for that. Looks like they run a fairly decent service that side of town. I'm gonna bookmark it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Gary

Thanks for that. Looks like they run a fairly decent service that side of town. I'm gonna bookmark it
    Use it a couple of times and come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Would be a good job for the Galway Transportation Unit to compile some sort of transport map for Galway. Have the bus routes of the 2 city bus companies on the one map aswell as the rail and coach interchanges.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Would be a good job for the Galway Transportation Unit to compile some sort of transport map for Galway. Have the bus routes of the 2 city bus companies on the one map aswell as the rail and coach interchanges.

Is there such a unit? Perhaps I'll ask any council candidates I come across if they'll promise get this done for us ;)

Give good to have services to Oranmore, the airport, Clarenbridge, Moycullen, Barna (all the suburbs!) on it too.

JustMary wrote: »
    Is there such a unit? Perhaps I'll ask any council candidates I come across if they'll promise get this done for us ;)

Give good to have services to Oranmore, the airport, Clarenbridge, Moycullen, Barna (all the suburbs!) on it too.

Indeed there is such a unit. Last I heard there was 9 staff in the unit.

Their plans for 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

The problem is the Transport unit doesn't have any authority over any of the bus operators or even rail, in Ireland it's just a mess!
    In other country you have local agencies and it's the city council that managed the network, agencies (bus owners) then co-operate to work with the local city council, they control the network

It's a fair game and they all compete at a good level, + it pays off for the commuter,

like ask yourself, is IR and Bus Eirearrn doing anything special for the volvo ocean race???

It would be good if the transport unit had some form of authority over the travel operators to provide an improved, more integrated service. Not very likely to happen though.

But at least there would be nothing stopping the GTU from creating some sort integrated transport map that they could make available online and in transport hubs around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

If it's not there responsibility they just won't even show interest to try,
    Also even if you look into this Gluas plans, they didn't even have any plans to provide connecting services, like WTF! I was at a talk before, and it was utter bulsh1t just the idea, Trams ok, but making it work is another question
    I know DB in germany have even a protocol defined just for various operators to connect services together and on time!

• Advertisement

There is now a map, and various other useful information, on

www.GalwayTransport.info

(Sorry to bring up an old thread lads, but this one has been stubbornly at the top of some Yahoo search results for a while: eventually I've decided that putting a link here is the best way to get in to Yahoo's search results If ye say nothing, then the thread will just quietly fade away again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

JustMary wrote: »
    There is now a map, and various other useful information, on

www.GalwayTransport.info

(Sorry to bring up an old thread lads, but this one has been stubbornly at the top of some Yahoo search results for a while: eventually I've decided that putting a link here is the best way to get in to Yahoo's search results If ye say nothing, then the thread will just quietly fade away again!)
    Never knew this existed, it's pretty good. should be advertised a little more

yer man! wrote: »
    Never knew this existed, it's pretty good. should be advertised a little more

Yer Man! and others: any thoughts on what sort of advertising would have been effective?

I'm especially interested in low-budget answers.

(Yes, this absolutely is market research. And Yes, I did clear it with a mod before posting.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since it's a free service Mary provides which we often point new posters to I have no objections to it.
    Perhaps a sticker on your car?
    If you can advertise buses on a car that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

The site is buggy, and the routes on the summary map are not clear. You do realise that you can use different colours for different routes?

As for advertising, you should talk to Bord Failte and Bus Eireann... get the url posted are bus stop and in tourist brochures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Diom wrote: »
    The site is buggy, and the routes on the summary map are not clear. You do realise that you can use different colours for different routes?
    The red lines on the summary map are in red because I think when you draw them on google maps, you have no other choice.

What did you find buggy? I've used it quite a bit since finding it and haven't had any problems?

The red lines on the summary map are in red because I think when you draw them on google maps, you have no other choice.

What did you find buggy? I've used it quite a bit since finding it and haven't had any problems?

Actually there are colour choices: after putting in the line, I can edit the colour and width from the descriptor box.

BUT putting them in different colours can cause other problems, eg the author assumes that all people can tell the difference, but actually colour-blind people can't.

I know the summary map needs work (but so do lots of other things).

fyi, I very recently put in a link to a new schematic of BE's city services, published by taxsaver.ie, folks may find it useful too even though it's very much not to scale.

I'm sure the site is buggy: it's had only one analyst, designer, developer and tester (all me!), with bits of feedback from various users and friends of mine. I do appreciate feedback about specific bugs you've seen. There are some issues with going from the summary map to other maps works better on some browsers than others.

I doubt very much that BE would advertise the site: they've no incentive to support anything that tells folks about their competitors. And getting Failte to support anything means accreditation, which is a whole nother kettle of fish. I've been doing well with other links though, and am now getting 40-60 visitors/day, from a variety of sources.

fyi, I have a policy of no direct advertising from any public transport operator (they can get in thru AdWords if they really want to). A more likely advertising direction is local businesses (shops, hairdressers, etc) on the neighbourhood maps. Watch that space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Hey JM:

Bug I found was that when you click on a route in a map (map in the frame of the page already) you load up a page within the map frame... not just the map as it should be.

Also I realise that you need to accommodate colour-blind people. In order to accommodate everyone try having dashed lines.

This thread in commuting and transport:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056085072
    has maps provided by Bus Eireann.

http://www.taxsaver.ie/Global/Maps/Galway%20City.pdf

Advertisement