Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless upstairs but weak downstairs

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I got diginet installed a few months ago. I connected a N1 Belkin wireless router in the attic and it is working fine. However, I have concrete floors on the first floor and the signal varies considerably downstairs. In fact, in some areas downstairs there is no reception at all.

My question: I have no eternet cable running from the attic to downstairs. How could I set up another wireless device downstairs. In the future, I intent to buy a HD TV and I note most of them accept an eternet cable. It would be ideal if I could set up some sort of wireless device downstairs with some eternet connections available. Obviously, I would like to maintain the speed of the router in the attic. I would also like to get a skype wireless phone for my wife to keep in contact with her family in australia and I would like her to be able to use it downstairs.

I have read on the internet that you can plug in some device to the power supply that is connected to the router in the attic and plug in another device downstairs. Is this true? Can you really use ESB to bring wireless downstairs? If so what type of device will work with the Belkin N1.

Sorry if he question has being answered before.

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

try a pair of Homeplugs.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356938#ProductTabs

Connect one via ethernet cable to the router and plug it into a power socket in the attic. Plug a second homeplug into a power socket downstairs and then an ethernet cable into the device. These devices don't work if plugged into a power block they need to be plugged directly into the power socket.

Advertisement