Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grazie Paolo!

• 19-05-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

A sad time for football,one of the greatest players ever to grace the pitch will be taking part in his last game in front of the fans in the Gusippe Meazza against Roma on Sunday afternoon.His last game will be away to Fiorentina the following weekend. :(

His achievments:

PAOLO MALDINI'S TROPHIES
    · 7 SCUDETTI
    · 5 CHAMPIONS CUP/CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    · 3 INTERCONTINENTALI CUPS/FIFA WORLD CUP
    · 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
    · 5 ITALIAN SUPER CUPS
    · 1 COPPA ITALIA

PAOLO MALDINI'S RECORDS
    · MILAN APPEARANCES IN OFFICIAL GAMES: 900
    · APPEARANCES IN SERIE A: 646
    · APPEARANCES IN UEFA CLUB COMPETITIONS: 174
    · APPEARANCES WITH THE AZZURRI: 126
    · INTERNATIONAL TROPHIES: 13
    · CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINALS: 8
    · QUICKEST GOAL IN A CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL: 53", ISTANBUL 2005
    · TOGETHER WITH CESARE, ONLY FATHER AND SON TO WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AS CAPTAINS, WITH THE SAME SHIRT (CESARE 1963, PAOLO 2003 AND 2007)

Grazie Paolo!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Grazie Il Capitano!
    Per Sempre Milanista,
    Per Sempre Rossonero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

words would not do the man justice.

quite simply the greatest professional footballer of the modern era bar none.

and i mean, none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PAOLO MALDINI'S TROPHIES
    · 7 SCUDETTI
    · 5 CHAMPIONS CUP/CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    · 3 INTERCONTINENTALI CUPS/FIFA WORLD CUP
    · 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
    · 5 ITALIAN SUPER CUPS
    · 1 COPPA ITALIA

Same things. Lets not be giving him any freebies.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Same things. Lets not be giving him any freebies.:D

Ha,mind you,I dont think anybody will think any less of him for that:D

You know you are doing something right when the Inter fans unveiled a banner for him at the derby.It read:

"For years you where our rival,but you where always fair"

Legend,no one close to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My second favourite player of all time (behind Andreas Möller) and easily the best defender of the past twenty years.

A true professional and a very clean player.

They should retire his jersey as he is a true legend in Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They should retire his jersey as he is a true legend in Milan.
    They are, until his son comes along :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't think anyone can dislike Maldini, be they nerazzuro or bianconero. He is an absolute legend and a gentleman, and it is a great pity that he had retired by 2006, as if any player deserves a World Cup medal, it is surely him.

I'd say they will have some tifo for him on Sunday.
    He also has a son making his way through the youth teams if I'm not mistaken...

EDIT: Just saw the post above. Talk about having a tough act to follow, from not one but two generations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Arguably the best defender of all time. The of football is getting tougher to play every season with improvements in fitness, coaching, scouting, tactics, etc. and he has always been one of the best.

carlop wrote: »
    .He also has a son making his way through the youth teams if I'm not mistaken...

Yup,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpPD3FpxIg

Ha that is quality!

According to wiki though he has an older son Christian, who is already playing for the Milan youth team. I'm not sure how old he is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

X posted from the best thread on boards:
    Trippie wrote: »
    On wednesday week Barcelona take on Manchester United in the champions league final. United going for their second in a row and Barcelona vying to stop them of completing a rare and unique achievement. I myself hope that Barcelona win not because of any dislike for United but I for one do not want the last team to achieve this feat to be equaled by a good team compared to some of the other great ones that have failed. The last team that won back to back ones was what I believe (perhaps seeing them through rose tinted glasses) the greatest club side ever assembled. It was the Milan side of 89/90. The side that contained 8 Italians and the 3 dutch maestro's Rijkaard, Van Basten and Gullit. It was a team that was unbeaten for over a year and 58 games in total in a league where they played against Baggio, Maradona and some of the true greats.

Milan89-90p.jpg

One of those Italians was Paolo Maldini which leads me onto my point. Regardless of who wins the trophy when we think back to the 2008/2009 season it will pale in comparison to one event. That event isnt a world cup or a euro championship it is the retirement in 2 weeks of in my opinion the greatest professional footballer to have ever played the game.

Others may have been quicker,stronger,more skillful but none more consistent and none have had the career he has. To put into perspective the squabbling on here recently about Liverpool having 5 European Cups compared to United's "measly" 3 etc etc Maldini himself has 5 winners medals and 3 runner up ones. He has played in the same amount of finals as united and liverpool have won combined. Speaking of United, Alex Ferguson has gone on record to say that throughout his entire coaching career Maldini is the one player he always wanted to sign.

In a career that has spanned 25 years, over 900 games for Milan, Italy's most capped player with 126 caps and he has:

7 league championships - 2 runner ups
    5 european cups - 3 runners up
    numerous Italian cups,super cups,club world cups.

milany.png

The only thing missing from his career is an international trophy and he has been agonisingly close twice in losing to Brazil in the final on penalties and being 43 seconds away from winning the euro's against France in 2000. It is a measure of the man that while others like Franco Baresi cried after losing the world cup final he remained dignified in a way we have become accustomed to even though he was much younger than the great man. We saw this again in 2005 when Milan suffered probably their most traumatic loss in any final to Liverpool, regardless of how they felt on the pitch after the comeback they kept their heads,clapped their fans and applauded Liverpool. Despite his clear disappointment it was Maldini himself who urged his players to show respect to the victors and to the competition some could say.(the Chelsea lads could learn a thing or two from it). This pic sums it up for me. He is so disappointed that he cannot even bring himself to look at the trophy. This after already winning 4 trophy's and having tasted defeat twice before shows just how much it meant to him after all those years.

610x.jpg

Here's a decent youtube video chronicling his career albeit with slightly gay music playing.

The end shows the curva and the simple message that says "Grazie Paolo". Respect is all that he has ever asked for. He has never been close to being the top earner at Milan,he still gets fined if he turns up late to training as he was this season for being 5 minutes late. The national side have offered him the chance to appear one more time as a good will gesture and he has turned it down saying that Lippi should focus on those who can help the future team. He has made it clear that his desire is to finish his career where it started and that is Seria A. So with a home game against Roma next week and then an away trip to Fiorentina it means that for someone who has played over 1000 games there is only 180 minutes of football left. Over the course of those 1000 games he has been part of a revolutionary defense with Baresi, Costacurta, Tassotti that changed the way defenses worked in the early 90's. He has played against some of the true greats marking Maradona, Baggio, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Del Piero and Totti in their prime yet he has never looked lost or out of place until this season where the lack of pace has hindered him dramatically. (Of all his accomplishments perhaps the best is he has managed to keep several clean sheets this season with Dida in goals and Senderos beside him which is no mean feat.)

As I mentioned here before when asked in an interview to discuss someone whom I admire the first person who came into my head was Maldini. His character, temperment and desire has kept him going for 25 years now in an age where people kiss the badge one week and then sign for their rivals the next he has only ever been a milanista. Despite seeing a few grainy youtube clips of pele or the same continuous best of highlight reel of Maradona I believe as professional footballer he stands alone. He is graceful, athletic, fiercely competitive yet fair and when he retires sunday week not only Milan but all of football will be losing a true Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

how the hell does he still only look about 28? :eek:

legend. a real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

A true legend of the game, with out a doubt the best defender of the last 20 years, young lads can learn a lot from him on how to approach and conduct themselves in the game.

I can't remember Maldini getting violant towards an opposition player, except for the Juve match a week and a bit ago where he grabbed Chielleni by the neck and was really, really wound up about something.
    Weird thing is, AIFK, he likes Gerogio!
    Don't know what happened but he looked like he was going to kill the young lad, was funny as f*ck!

Gonna miss him though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

A legend of a player, and obviously a legend of a man and athlete to have been able to have the ability to survive all the years at the top ,focused and just brilliant all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

A true legend alright.
    To those that follow Milan more closely than the casual observer, has Maldini given any indication he'll be staying in football. It would be criminal for his experience and knowledge of the game not to be shared although after 20+ years as a pro I can understand why he might want a break ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya absolute legend - Maldini and Baresi were the greatest pairing in history. The guy was pure class on and off the pitch - the perfect professional. He deserves to go down as one of the greats and would surely be one of the best defenders ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Was a part of the one of the greatest sides ever assembled. One of the most professional athletes ever to live. One of the most consistent and excellent performers in the history of the game. Same amount of European cups as both the finalists this year put together.

Legend of the game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Warper wrote: »
    Ya absolute legend - Maldini and Baresi were the greatest pairing in history.

True, one of the biggest dilemas facing a 10 year old me, was which kit to get a number 3 or a number 6 milan jersey, as both of them were awesome players. (I ended up getting Paulos kit by the way)

Slightly off topic, i read today that Wayne Bridge is the top paid full back in world football earning £93k / week (or something along those lines) I wont even begin to point out the obvious stupidity in that wage packet.

Daemonic wrote: »
    has Maldini given any indication he'll be staying in football. It would be criminal for his experience and knowledge of the game not to be shared although after 20+ years as a pro I can understand why he might want a break ;)

Theres whispers that he will take over youth teams.Primavera team possibly as there has been grumbles about Milans youth products(lack of) this season.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He'll be missed. Fowever a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A legend and one of my all time favourite players. God I useda idolise that Milan team of the late 80s as a kid.....Gullit, RIjkaard, Van Basten, and of course Maldini and Baresi the rocks at the back. LEGEND.

And hes a hit with the ladies too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

A true legend, sad to see him go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    X posted from the best thread on boards:

Cheers lloyd,I was going to post it in here myself but was in a rush to get the train so i didnt finish it off properly or put it here. Missed out on post of the day as well to some "funny" tshirt sales feedback.sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Went to Milan-Lazio last March in the hope of seeing him play in the flesh, he was on the bench IIRC but never made an appearance, I was gutted as he is one of my favourite players ever to kick a ball. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm genuinely surprised this thread isn't at least 5 or 6 pages long at this stage.

i was hoping to read a lot of deserved adulation for the one of the greats.

that picture of maldini at the end of the 2005 final, along with his actions towards Liverpool and the competition after that final, speak volumes about the man.

as a Pool fan i had little or no sympathy that day, just joy, but paolo was the first man i did feel a bit for.

a remarkable man, and a wonderful ambassador and role model for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

simply one of the all tine greats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What a player. Football Italia introduced me to him, and he was quality. Costacurta and Maldini, wow. Too young to remember Baresi really, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Over rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Best player of my generation, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Over rated.
    lol 2.54am drunk let's troll.
    Hardly overrated as he never courted the press compared to say the likes of another recent Milan signing.
    True legend. I hope he carries on as a coach, the epitome of how to look after yourself on and off the pitch. Mind you a lucky fecker blessed with exceptional talent, looks, money, gourgeous wife, nice kids, but then the guy is pure class, couldn't happen to a nicer chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Legend of a player. Hard to believe that there are still players playing since the days of Baresi, Donadoni, van Basten. That was some team, prob the best that I ever had the pleasure of watching.

Have lost touch of Italian football in the last few years, but he was the ultimate class act.

It's rare that a player in this day and age can stay with one club his whole playing career - Giggs, and a lot of Utd's team comes to mind, but from my own team, O'Leary and Adams would be most prominent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

patmac wrote: »
    lol 2.54am drunk let's troll.
    Hardly overrated as he never courted the press compared to say the likes of another recent Milan signing.

Sure he never played for a club in England. Hardly the work of an all time great :rolleyes:

I had hoped he would retire after the Champions League win 2007. No better way for a true legend to bow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Over rated.

Theres always one!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

PS Grazie Paolo! Absolute legend, One of the first names down on my all time team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

An inspiration and legend,thank you mal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The game will be the poorer for his loss imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

The greastet player of his generation (in a way).

Milan wont ever be the same again. Actually football wont ever be the same again.

All my favourite players I grew up with & looked up to are all getting old & retiring. Maldini, Zidane, Cafu, Costacurta, Keane, Ronaldo(good as retired, got another injury again), Romario & so on. Theres nobody left. This new generation sucks compared to the last one.

M5 wrote: »
    Theres always one!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    In my defence, it was 2:54am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Absolute legend! the game will be worse off without him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Fantastic player. Among the greats of all time.

I recall seeing a post on this board somewhere where someone seriously didn't rate him among the top players ever. I thought it was a bit unfair to the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Definitely one of the greats.
    gimmick wrote: »
    I had hoped he would retire after the Champions League win 2007. No better way for a true legend to bow out.
    Agree with that.

All the players are wearing the message "Grazie Paolo-Grande Capitano" and the crowd have Maldini Scarfs.Fantastic atmosphere in the San Siro too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

pity about the result

grazie paolo

Great game, makes nect week nervy though :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thank you Paulo, Argueably the best defender ever to play football, you will be missed. I hope Christian comes through and the Maldini no.3 lives on, still what an honour to have the shirt retire (or reserved for his family) as that is relativley unheard of in football.

A section of the Milan support gave Maldini a rather surprising reception during his lap of honour after the match.

Milan Ultras Leave Black Mark On Maldini Celebrations
    During his final salute to the Milan faithful, the Rossoneri Ultras revealed an undeserved stain of contempt towards their most loyal servant…

After Roma had refused to follow the script by running out 3-2 winners on Maldini’s final day out at the San Siro, came another twist in the party celebrations, as the Curva Sud displayed a banner that was sure to spark controversy.

As the legendary captain did a final lap of honour after the game, the Milan Ultras displayed a large banner directed towards another legendary captain, Franco Baresi. Under a large number 6, the words “there is only one captain” were there for all to see.

At the same time, there were even some whistles from the same section of the stands in a display of unbelievable disrespect for a captain who has given a life of service to the Rossoneri.

Despite the disrespect of the Curva, the remainder of the stadium gave a prolonged standing ovation to Maldini, who was quite obviously moved by their display of affection.

Roma Coach Luciano Spalletti Blasts Milan Fans For Insults To Paolo Maldini
    The Giallorossi coach has hailed his side's performance but was furious at the behaviour of some of the Rossoneri faithful towards Maldini...
    24 May 2009 16:59:50

Roma edged Milan 3-2 in a thrilling affair at the San Siro in Paolo Maldini's final appearance in front of his home fans.

The 40-year-old defender will retire at the end of the season, but celebrations turned sour due to the unexpected defeat and a section of the stadium insulted the Diavoli captain after the final whistle and shouted Franco Baresi's name.

"If the fans offended Maldini, it means they do not love this sport and they should just stay at home," Roma boss Luciano Spalletti told Sky Italia.

"If someone insults Maldini, that's overstepping the boundaries."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I'm really surprised how ungrateful people can be

Maldini slams Milan boo boys
    Sunday 24 May, 2009
    Paolo Maldini’s final San Siro match was marred by a protest from the fans. “I’m proud not to be one of them.”

The captain was making his last appearance in the stadium, his 901st in official competition for Milan, as he will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

The game with Roma began with the entire stadium holding up banners hailing the symbol of the Rossoneri for the past 24 years.

However, as he went to perform a lap of honour after the final whistle, a small group in the Curva Sud staged a protest.

They held up banners and chanted the name of Franco Baresi, who wore the armband before Maldini took over in 1997.

“There is only one captain,” said these supporters. The reaction clearly irritated Maldini, who left the field without giving interviews.

As he left the arena he only made one comment to the media referring to these protestors.

“I am proud not to be one of them.”

There was tension at San Siro as President Silvio Berlusconi was in the stands to watch a 3-2 defeat to Roma, which leaves automatic Champions League qualification in the balance.

Many more protests and banners were aimed at the patron, who is accused of not spending wisely on the transfer market.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may24u.html

Some of the fans chanted

''Franco Baresi l'unico vero capitano'' (Baresi is the only true captain)

and

"un capitano, c'è solo un capitano... e non è Maldini" (one captain, there's only one captain ... and it's not Maldini)

Some of the fans chanted

''Franco Baresi l'unico vero capitano'' (Baresi is the only true captain)

and

"un capitano, c'è solo un capitano... e non è Maldini" (one captain, there's only one captain ... and it's not Maldini)

Do you know if Maldini has had some disagreement in the past with the Milan Ultras? If you watch the video on Gazzetta they have a banner up. I think it said something like 'this is how the Curva Sud thanks someone who called us mercenaries' but I couldn't get a good look at it.

Either way, d1ckhead ultras find a way of marring what should have been a great day. It happens too often in Italy these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement