Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Home Alarms

Options
  • 20-05-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I've been looking at the wireless GSM alarms on ebay.
    Has anyone got any experience of these?
    My worry is that the batteries will need replacing every 2 months.

Do the door/window sensors only start transmitting when they are activated and the alarm is armed?
    This would mean each sensor would have a reciever as well as a transmitter which I doubt considering the price. (E150 approx).
    Or are they transmitting 24/7?

Can anyone recomend a kit that has all the normal home alram sensors aswell as some wireless cameras that can be viewed remotely over the net?

I am googling this at the moment but there is alot of options that claim to be the best. I was hoping for some first hand experience.

Thanks guys!

Wavey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Wavey wrote: »
    Evening all,

I've been looking at the wireless GSM alarms on ebay.
    Has anyone got any experience of these?
    My worry is that the batteries will need replacing every 2 months.

Do the door/window sensors only start transmitting when they are activated and the alarm is armed?
    This would mean each sensor would have a reciever as well as a transmitter which I doubt considering the price. (E150 approx).
    Or are they transmitting 24/7?

Can anyone recomend a kit that has all the normal home alram sensors aswell as some wireless cameras that can be viewed remotely over the net?

I am googling this at the moment but there is alot of options that claim to be the best. I was hoping for some first hand experience.

Thanks guys!

Wavey.

i wouldn't use ebay. it looks too gd 2 be true!. A wireless system like infanite should do. the only problem is that it is more expensive. Are you going to do a DIY? well if you are, its alot cheaper. (no affence to those who install them). well if you are going to do a DIY install, i saw the following wirefree system from meteor electrical:

infinite alarm, http://www.meteorelectrical.com/images/pdf/MeteorCatalogue.pdf , page 147.

i have no idea on the remote monitoring for cctv. hope the above helps you and you can order this online.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You might want to look at this post before going near Meteor Electrical
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60517417&postcount=6

If you are going with these systems or installing a system yourself beware as to how it will affect your home insurance. If your policy states you have an alarm your insurance company will presume its installed to EN50131, in the event of a claim they may void your insurance if this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tim M-U wrote: »
    i wouldn't use ebay. it looks too gd 2 be true!. A wireless system like infanite should do. the only problem is that it is more expensive. Are you going to do a DIY? well if you are, its alot cheaper. (no affence to those who install them). well if you are going to do a DIY install, i saw the following wirefree system from meteor electrical:

infinite alarm, http://www.meteorelectrical.com/images/pdf/MeteorCatalogue.pdf , page 147.

i have no idea on the remote monitoring for cctv. hope the above helps you and you can order this online.

is this system any good tim, have you installed it yourself :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

omg: meteor electrical gone bust! i ordered something from them around 1st june 09. never came! thats my €24 gone! (could have gotten a pizza which would have been more satifaying!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

ok yale do a fantastic wireless alarm system go for the dearest kit. batteries in the alarm box need replacing every 4 years on average and every 2-3 years for the sensors and door contacts. You can add on devices ,zone the house and is very simple to install it also comes with leads to conect to your landline to let you know the alarm is activated it will redirect this info to your mobile phone you can also deactivate from the phone.
    very pleased with mine and when not in use the power shuts down to save the juice in the batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

On wireless alarms, My sister has the eircom one, the battery packs are quite big on the windows and can be seen clearly where you have blinds. I am more inclined to just forgo the window sensors and just stick sensors inside. Have not tried the yale one.

I have no window sensors as I did not want them I just have Prox sensors. Granted the person has to be in the house before it goes off but I found on my first house that the window was to sensative anyway

On insurence companies. I did not declare my alarm. 2 reasons.
    1. I would have had to get it certified every year and the cert costs more than the discount the insurence co offered, 2. If i forgot to set it I was not covered. So i figure 10% saving on 350 euro being 35 was not worth the risk...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

porte wrote: »
    ok yale do a fantastic wireless alarm .
    Fantastic & yet yet not up to standard.
    Do yourself a favour & keep away from these.
    If you are going to do your alarm yourself buy decent equipment.
    That big bright yellow box is an advertisment that you have a sub standard system.

On insurence companies. I did not declare my alarm. 2 reasons.
    1. I would have had to get it certified every year and the cert costs more than the discount the insurence co offered, 2. If i forgot to set it I was not covered. So i figure 10% saving on 350 euro being 35 was not worth the risk...

+1 Good advice..

Advertisement