Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boat Quay C&C

• 20-05-2009 12:53am

1 3547459804_e7d664c4a6_o.jpg

2 3547458984_61c7c648b1_o.jpg

3 3547459332_471c86f557_o.jpg

4 3546650537_134e72871a_o.jpg

5 3546650121_cf8ac18c77_o.jpg

Tried to incorporate some of the comments from the last set, didn't have a tripod though, will get one today. This was the first time as well that I have mucked about with the levels and curves in GIMP.
    All C&C welcome. Pictures are from Boat Quay (I think!) in Singapore.

Comments

No C&C??

They can't be that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

They all look they're slightly tilted off-axis.

Composition and particularly framing seem arbitrary; e.g.: the tallest building in #1 is right up against the edge of the frame.

You tend to bisect the frame with the edge of the dock, or at least make it a major divisional element in the vertical rhythm of the composition, so they all seem very similar.

They're not bad photographs, they just aren't particularly compelling in composition or subject to someone who is unfamiliar with the location.

I think #1 and #4 are probably the strongest and I think you'd have had far more interest if you'd posted just those two as opposed to all five.

charybdis wrote: »
    They all look they're slightly tilted off-axis.

Composition and particularly framing seem arbitrary; e.g.: the tallest building in #1 is right up against the edge of the frame.

You tend to bisect the frame with the edge of the dock, or at least make it a major divisional element in the vertical rhythm of the composition, so they all seem very similar.

They're not bad photographs, they just aren't particularly compelling in composition or subject to someone who is unfamiliar with the location.

I think #1 and #4 are probably the strongest and I think you'd have had far more interest if you'd posted just those two as opposed to all five.

Cheers for that - re the tiliting, its tricky as the quay itself is curved and some of the buildings don't have straight edges. I really need to go back with a tripod and try to offset the shot.

I've never done this kind of thing properly before and so I am looking for what I was doing wrong. I then 'gimp'd' the photos to try and bring up the light and reflections.

For the arbitrary framing, I was trying to focus on the light reflected in the water, but obviously then that isn't coming through in the shots. Are you drawn more to the buildings or to the reflections?

As for the 5, like I said, I am shooting here for education purposes and so I'm putting all of them up. Its the same area from different angles and I'm just trying to see if I am missing anything or am messing anything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Use a tripod and a longer exposure, would deffo help these type of shots imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They are pretty good given you didnt have a tripod, you definitely took some of the advice given as they look a lot better than the other ones you posted, a tripod and you are set..

• Advertisement
Advertisement