Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying new car Kia Ceed maybe

• 20-05-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a car in Jan, an 02 ford focus, still havent got the log book have been up to the garage 16 times now, i have had a couple of problems with the car. I hope to have the log book next week and am thinking about trading in to get a new Kia Ceed

My main issue now is fuel consumption, focus is a 1.4 petrol but is ripping me for petrol. The Ceed comes with a 7 year warranty and the diesel model on paper has impressive fuel consumption. I drive a lot so this is vital. Any advice on other options would be appreciated or opinions on Kia cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you plan on keeping it a few years it would be a good buy with the warranty. Roadtests are good and it looks particularly good in Pro_ceed form, was tempted by one a few months back.

The 1.6 diesel is supposed to be as good on juice , but note you can get 2 power outputs, 89 and 113 brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven both the C'eed and Pro C'eed 1.6 diesels and they are cracking cars. Not been around long enough really to have any noted issues, but in general the Kia's and their sister cars (Hyundai's) rarely give any bother.

I think all the 1.6CRDi's are 115ps. I drove one back to back against a Focus 1.8Tdci 115ps and the Kia felt much quicker and smoother.

If you can stretch to the higher spec (EX I think) it's about all you need in a car - climate control, cruise control, half leather, alloys etc. Only problem with them is the forecasted poor resale values, but if you are going to keep it for a while, shouldn't be an issue.

Warranty is 7 years or 100,000km, whichever comes first, so if you are doing high mileage then the you could see the end of the warranty in 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you can stretch to the higher spec (EX I think) it's about all you need in a car - climate control, cruise control, half leather, alloys etc. Only problem with them is the forecasted poor resale values, but if you are going to keep it for a while, shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, EX is the way to go and I wouldn't worry about poor resale. The good news about these cars is spreading and a smooth, quick economical diesel 1.6 should be very good news s/h.

The 7yr/100,000km warranty may not last long with big mileage but the fact they have the confidence to offer this speaks volumes. Can't see VW offering anything similar on a Golf :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Cheers thanks lads thinks you've put my mind at ease. Ive generally been inlucky with cars hence the need for a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

IMHO looks not too bad try UK or NI for 2hand Ceed, even with vrt , as local prices and their trade - in promises are not so impresive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭techie

Op: I have 2 x Ceed's, both 1.4 Petrol.

Warranty is 7 years or 150000km, whichever comes first.

1.4 Petrol is much nippier than focus 1.4 petrol(Dead), friend has one and cannot get over the pace of my car.

I get 6.1l/100km on a run and 7l/km around town in the Cee'd so its great on the juice also.

My wife's Cee'd is 2 years old and so far has only had a drop link replaced under warranty due to it knocking.

Overall great cars!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

ive a 1.6 diesel since march 2008, find it good, rear heated windscreen went in jan this year but whole thing was replaced under warranty instead of the 2 heated strips that were broken.

getting 800 km from a tank :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kleinerhai

R.O.R wrote: »

If you can stretch to the higher spec (EX I think) it's about all you need in a car - climate control, cruise control, half leather, alloys etc.

I have a 08 1.6 115bhp EX model and it doesn't have cruise control or climate control. They only come on limited edition models for a lot more $$$$$

Excellent car though. Can't fault it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

techie wrote: »
    I get 6.1l/100km on a run and 7l/km around town in the Cee'd so its great on the juice also.

Am i reading that right? 7 litres to the kilometer :eek::confused:

Perhaps it should be 7L/100km around town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

parents have a 1.4 EX and a friend has a 1.6 EX estate.Really nice car to drive both are quite nippy, and I would consider one if I was in the market for a new car (other than a CLK that is).
    My parent had one issue with the radio in that some times it would not turn on, but this was replaced and the issue was resolved. Otherwise a fine car. My friends car had another in that the interior light would go off for a second or 2 intermittantly, but they have not taken the car back yet. This still would not put me off getting the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like the proceed. I wouldnt p!ss on golfs, focus, auris so if I wanted a car of that size, I figure I would get a Proceed. Dont know how they compare pricewise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Buy this one >>> Pro_Ceed << I would say some car to go :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The Hyundai i30 diesel is very impressive too. Really smooth and handles rough roads really well. I don't thing their guarantee is as good as the Kia's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Don't know about the C'eed but my wife bought a Sportage a few years back and it had every possible extra, i.e. cruise control, heated leather seats, climate control etc. No problems whatsoever with it and when she traded it in (we eventually had more kids than the car could carry), she only lost €4,000 on what she paid for it due to the (then) huge demand for small SUV's like this. Although, in this instance, we were lucky to trade it in when we did as I'm sure you can't give away SUV's in the current market.

I'd have no problem buying another KIA even though my loyalty has always been towards Renaults. Maybe, I'll get the wife to buy a C'eed ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Poulgorm wrote: »
    The Hyundai i30 diesel is very impressive too. Really smooth and handles rough roads really well. I don't thing their guarantee is as good as the Kia's

I looked at a few i 30 CRDi for a friend a few months back. Seriously nice car in Deluxe Spec, climate, half leather, alloys, cruise control etc..
    Warranty not as long as Kia but give little trouble apparently.
    You would get a good price on a 2008 model that would still leave you with 2 year manufacture warranty.
    know little/nothing about Kia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Parents had a Sportage and now have a Pro ceed 1.6 diesel EX and its a cracker. They love it. They've had it a year and a half and no problems at all same with the sportage. I've driven the Pro ceed loads of times and its lovely to drive and the 1.6 diesel is a fine little engine. they seem to be holding their value now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kartale wrote: »
    I looked at a few i 30 CRDi for a friend a few months back. Seriously nice car in Deluxe Spec, climate, half leather, alloys, cruise control etc..
    Warranty not as long as Kia but give little trouble apparently.
    You would get a good price on a 2008 model that would still leave you with 2 year manufacture warranty.
    know little/nothing about Kia

What goes for the i30 goes for the Ceed, they are the same car with just slightly different styling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

bazz26 wrote: »
    What goes for the i30 goes for the Ceed, they are the same car with just slightly different styling.

+1

The Sportage and the Hyundai Tucson are also the same car with slightly different styling (I think the Sportage is nicer). Plus the Kia's seem to better equipped than their Hyundai counterparts.

As for the 7 year warranty, well they wouldn't offer that if they weren't sure of their cars long term reliability. Makes the other "established" makes (Ford, Renault etc) warranties seem like a joke. Its not so long ago that the standard warranty on cars was just a year and they've only recently moved towards 2 or 3 year warranties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

The Ceed is definitely the better looking car for me.

Kia may be even more desirable as a brand than Hyundai.
    There aren't the same bad memories of sh*tbox 90's/early 00's Accents to sully their name.

Advertisement