Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Metal Solos

• 20-05-2009 3:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Ok i want to get into playing metal/shreading solos but i find it hard to figure out where to start cause my ability isn't at the highest quality yet and my speed isn't great either

I listen to:

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath

also open to other bands if you want suggest others

play guitar btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

rgjmce wrote: »
    Ok i want to get into playing metal/shreading solos but i find it hard to figure out where to start cause my ability isn't at the highest quality yet and my speed isn't great either

I listen to:

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath

also open to other bands if you want suggest others

play guitar btw

Give metallica - sanitarium a go, its grand for a beginner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

anything off St. Anger

yeah sanatariums easy enough, theres a good few metallica ones u can get at, just browse thru em till u hear something easy

-=al=- wrote: »
    anything off St. Anger

yeah sanatariums easy enough, theres a good few metallica ones u can get at, just browse thru em till u hear something easy

Metallica 'god that failed' is also easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

yeah i have started to learn sanitarium, it ain't to bad. I will try the god that failed, the ones off the black album seem to be easy.

Oh and St. Anger? lol i said solos

Id just stick to learning 1 at a time because if you get more than 1 you will jump ship to the next tab when your current one gets tricky. You will keep jumping until instead of knowing how to play an entire solo you will know bits and pieces of a dozen.........which isnt gonna knock the knickers off that hot b1tch for whom you started playing guitar for in the first place:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Well I don't know if Nothing Else Matters would meet the criteria but it's fairly simple. I suppose it's 'metal' but not very fast...

Try the solo to Sabbath's Iron Man - it's faster but there are a lot of repeated licks and it's basically just pentatonic.

If you want more of a challenge with some tapping try the solo from Ozzy's Crazy Train (and then come here and show me how to do it!). It's a good one to try and learn if you want to have a go at the more shreddy stuff. You can always play it at a slower tempo. Try Judas Priest's 'A Touch Of Evil' - fairly slow with a couple of shred licks thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Pick the one you like best and learn it. No point in learning something that you're not really into just 'cause it's easy. If you really love a song you'll try harder to play it, even on some subliminal level.

If you want to learn something that's too hard, learn to play it really slowly, and play it really slowly for hours. Then when you can to it backwards, blindfolded and upside down with your feet on a left-handed guitar, speed it up a little. After a few days you'll be rocking ass.

To quote Dr. Kelso, "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Black Sabbath - Paranoid should be perfect for your first solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

thanks for advice and think i'll listen to dr.kelso lol
    I do know the nothing else matters solo and part of paranoid, i guess i'll just pick one solo to learn and learn it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Black Sabbath - Paranoid should be perfect for your first solo.

:cool: RING MODULATOR!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Break down the solo into parts and build up speed with a metronome FTW

Advertisement