Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadbury's Lies!

Options
  • 20-05-2009 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I moved to Canada recently, and I had been tipped off that you can't get Cadbury's chocolate over here so I brought a big stash with me. However, lo and behold, the local convenience store has a whole shelf of Cadbury chocolate. Great, thinks I, I can eat all of this chocolate because it's replaceable.

Imagine my disappointment when I try and eat some of this fake Canadian Cadbury's which barely even tastes like chocolate let alone Cadbury's! I am very disappointed, and I think it's terrible that Cadbury's let someone package crappy chocolate in their name.

Just wanted to rant. This stuff is vile. I actually spat it out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cadbury's in North America is made by Hershey's, I believe, which would explain the vileness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Canada... you bastard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I think Cadburys everywhere tastes different :mad: Even the UK version is different i think (or else I imagine it!)

I've heard the New Zealand Cadburys is meant to be class but i don't believe you can beat the Irish.

I live in Korea and the Cadburys here is edible (not as good as home though...) Only problem is no Mint Crisps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Where is our Cadburys made, here or the U.K.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Passenger wrote: »
    Where is our Cadburys made, here or the U.K.?

Made in Coolock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Certain brands - 5/6 - are mass made in Ireland.

The rest are imported from the UK and distributed from Coolock.

Why does a dairy milk taste different in Ireland and England?

Answer is rain - we get much more which impacts on grass and the milk content of the final chocolate bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Never noticed any difference between ours and the UK's unless northern irelands is made in coolock aswel that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My sister lives in Oz and says that because it's so warm, Cadbury's add an ingredient to help prevent it melting so quickly - and it that ingredient that tastes vile. Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Cadbury chocolate eclairs are not made in Ireland or the UK. They are shipped in from Poland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

As Happy Monday else said, certain lines are made in certain factories only, others run across locations (and countries!).

From recollection for example all the creme eggs for Europe are made in Bournville, Birmingham (former employee :D)

Hersheys make the US muck. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I've heard the New Zealand Cadburys is meant to be class but i don't believe you can beat the Irish.

You'll never beat the Irish...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

1huge1 wrote: »
    Never noticed any difference between ours and the UK's unless northern irelands is made in coolock aswel that is.

Northern Ireland doesn't get Irish Cadbury's. Unfortunate, because IMHO the Irish stuff is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

The Dairy milk, twirl and some flakes are made in Ireland, think some of the moro and time out are too.

The bars are made at the Cadbury factory in Coolock, but the raw chocolate for them comes from the Cadbury plant in Rathmore Co. Kerry. I see the Cadbury tanker trucks of it passing work everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The Dairy milk, twirl and some flakes are made in Ireland, think some of the moro and time out are too.

The bars are made at the Cadbury factory in Coolock, but the raw chocolate for them comes from the Cadbury plant in Rathmore Co. Kerry. I see the Cadbury tanker trucks of it passing work everyday

can you say exactly where and when this truck will be?
    i ehm... want to know just for information purposes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The 8 square bars are made in Ireland but the share size are made in the uk.

If you buy a Flake in Saudi Arabia it was manufactured in Coolock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was warned New Zealand Cadbury's was yuck but it tastes just the same as the stuff back home to me. Except they do better flavours. I'm addicted to Coconut Rough now.

8081.jpg

There's an NZ brand of chocolate called Whittakers that everyone loves but give me Cadbury's any day.

I've heard that in warmer climates, an additive is put into the chocolate to prevent it from melting or increase its shelf life. That might explain the different taste or maybe the recipie is just different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

watna wrote: »
    I was warned New Zealand Cadbury's was yuck but it tastes just the same as the stuff back home to me. Except they do better flavours. I'm addicted to Coconut Rough now.

8081.jpg

There's an NZ brand of chocolate called Whittakers that everyone loves but give me Cadbury's any day.

I'm almost positive they used sell Coconut Rough here. My mum is obsessed with coconut chocolate, and I remember buying it for her several times. Wonder why they discontinued it here?

Faith wrote: »
    I'm almost positive they used sell Coconut Rough here. My mum is obsessed with coconut chocolate, and I remember buying it for her several times. Wonder why they discontinued it here?

Yes - my mum remembers it too. When she came here at Christmas she bought a few bars to bring back for my bro. It's quite popular here so not sure why it was discontinued at home. It's yum!

Perhaps we could petition Cadbury's to bring it back? I'll bring a few bars back when I come home for a visit next year anyway!

It's the same as Top Deck. People liked that loads but it was discontinued for some reason (you can get it in Dublin at a South African shop off Liffey Street though as it's still sold in South Africa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I spent a year in NZ and it was kinda weird that one of the (millions) of things I missed about it when I came home was the Cadburys chocolate. I don't know why they don't have all the varieties here. Cadburys in NZ must be run by Willy Wonka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll bring a few bars back when I come home for a visit next year anyway!

Cherry Ripes in NZ?

If there are, please bring me some.

Des wrote: »
    Cherry Ripes in NZ?

If there are, please bring me some.

I'm not 100% on the cherry ripes thing but I can probably source some anyway. I'll look in the shop later. If they don't have them in NZ, I can source them from Australia for you. People at work go over regularly and bring back sweeties on request. I'll add them to the burger rings and monteith's and anything else people request over the next few months! Think after this thread I should bring some Cadbury's chocolate back too.

On the way back to NZ I will be filling the space I used to bring over NZ food to bring M + S products home with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

watna

get me coconut rough somehow :( best chocolate bar of the last decade

cadburys brought it out along with double chocolate variation and twas limited with the double chocolate variation winning and being kept on. I was ever so sad

hook me up! look when u come home just forget the clothes and pack the suitcase full of it. GO ON :d

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

It's the same as Top Deck. People liked that loads but it was discontinued for some reason (you can get it in Dublin at a South African shop off Liffey Street though as it's still sold in South Africa)

I'm South African, been living in Ireland for a year now, and was very sad not to find Top Deck being sold here, it's my hubby's favourite choc as well.

I actually wrote to Cadbury to ask them why it was not sold here, they eventually replied....
    Thank you for your e-mail

Top Deck is not longer distributed here in Ireland. Unfortunately we were obliged to withdraw it due to lack of consumer demand.

I have passed your comments on to the Marketing Department who may reintroduce this product at some future date

Sorry I cannot help

Regards

That said, Cadbury's in SA is absolutely delicious, it's so creamy. I find the Cadbury's here/UK to be a bit sweeter.

I've had Cadbury's from the US and it was waxy, really nasty stuff!

I also miss Cadbury's Dream bar (white choc) & Caramilk (solid caramel choc) and PS bars (crispy wafers covered with Caramilk) mmmm.....

imagemainimagemainimagemain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MandyM wrote: »
    I'm South African, been living in Ireland for a year now, and was very sad not to find Top Deck being sold here, it's my hubby's favourite choc as well.

I actually wrote to Cadbury to ask them why it was not sold here, they eventually replied....

That said, Cadbury's in SA is absolutely delicious, it's so creamy. I find the Cadbury's here/UK to be a bit sweeter.

I've had Cadbury's from the US and it was waxy, really nasty stuff!

I also miss Cadbury's Dream bar (white choc) & Caramilk (solid caramel choc) and PS bars (crispy wafers covered with Caramilk) mmmm.....
    Cadbury in SA use the equipment that was used in Coolock years ago before they upgraded, roller/refiners made out of granite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Richard wrote: »
    Northern Ireland doesn't get Irish Cadbury's. Unfortunate, because IMHO the Irish stuff is better.
    They do. Flakes, Moro, Boost, Time Out, Twirl and a couple of other bard are made in Coolock. The different Flakes are not made in Bournville AFAIK and are shipped all over the world from Coolock.

It's the chocolate crumb which comes from Rathmore, not chocolate but one of the main ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

you can get cadburys in canada, the real stuff!. theres a couple of stores that sell imported stuff, really retro sweets, i even had a slush puppy the other day.. haha yeah
    so its a bit more expensive but u can get all your favourites.

had one of them yesteerday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Whn I was on my J1 2 summers ago, one of the girls got her dad to send us over 8 bars of Cadbury's! It cost him more to post the bars than to buy them, but it was so worth it-they were gone in about 30 minutes!

Hershey's is muck, and they have a fake Milky Way as well (basically a Mars bar)...why do they do these things to us?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

When i lived in the states i wouldnt go near the choclate it was vile, i actually didnt eat one bit of choclate for a whole year while i was there, now thats a sure way to loose weight:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MandyM wrote: »

Do you live in Dublin?

There is a South African shop near Liffey Street.

Advertisement