Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chopper over city last night?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

I was woken up around 3 or 4 am this morning by what sounded like a helicopter overhead, looked out the window and could see some lights in the sky somewhere over the northside of the city centre. Anyone know what was up? Noise went on for quite a while :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably just the garda chopper providing assistance to ground units. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Well maybe, but I've never been woken up - and kept up - by it before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Maybe becuase it never stopped over your house before?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

the chopper passes my roof at least once a night so im pure used to it now!!!!!nothing keeps me from sleepsville!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come and live in Finglas mate.

They do a fly by every night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah I heard it last nite too, Dublin 2 area

Nick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Des wrote: »

Fly bys I could live with, its the hovering over the fields beside me for half an hour at 3 in the morning that's hard to deal with.

Still, better that than some scumbag smashing in your car windows or doing doughnuts up & down the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it flies over edenmore most nights too

Gaspode wrote: »
    Fly bys I could live with, its the hovering over the fields beside me for half an hour at 3 in the morning that's hard to deal with.

Still, better that than some scumbag smashing in your car windows or doing doughnuts up & down the road!

Heh, I live near to Dunsink Lane.

You don't know what it was like on Sunday night when they were looking for the driver of that Silver BMW.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Heh, I live near to Dunsink Lane.

You don't know what it was like on Sunday night when they were looking for the driver of that Silver BMW.

Not far from there myself, just off the River Road, so I heard it alright. Had the gardai doing house to house here last night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Gaspode wrote: »

Yes, this was definitely "hovering" not a "fly by"... wasn't exactly over my house either but still near enough to keep me up. My condolences to anyone who has to put up with this on a regular basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

How inconsiderate of the criminals committing crimes at night and even more considerate of the Gardai trying to catch them. Didn't they know Dendelion was trying to get his beauty sleep?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it was over edenmore just a few mins ago. the noise off it was deafening and it was only a few feet over head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I used to live in Ashtown and the helicopter would hover over Finglas a few nights each week (always seemed to happen around 11pm). The noise of it was unreal. I could never sleep with it. It would just hover in one place for about 20mins fly off in a loop and come back to the same place again and just sit there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when i moved into my house, for the first year, i was guaranteed the copter ould hover over my house at 4am for about an hour every saturday night, sometimes the search light would light up my bedroom

its nowhere near as bad now but you still hear them buzzing around every now and then like last saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Why does it only fly over the northside?

vektarman wrote: »

[mod note]

OK, let's not make this a Northside/Southside thing, thanks

:)

[/mod note]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Unless someone moved Tallaght to the Northside when I wasnt looking, it doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

We regularly get it over the IFSC around 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

CiaranC wrote: »
    Unless someone moved Tallaght to the Northside when I wasnt looking, it doesnt.
    OK, Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 nehcola

My sister lives in Ranelagh and the first time I ever heard it was at her place (I live in the northside). She said they hear it every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There tends to be two at the weekend. Can be extremely annoying cos they fly too low some nights

Advertisement