Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion problem

Options
  • 20-05-2009 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    This is probably a really silly question, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to plumbing matters.

Yesterday I left a hot tap running by mistake for a few hours (very little hot water in the cylinder at the time, thankfully).

Later, when I went to use the immersion heater, I noticed only cold water was coming out, even after having the immersion switched on for about half an hour.

There's a Myson valve on my cylinder that has a red LED whenever the water is being heated (either by immersion or by the CH boiler).

I noticed that the LED was not lighting even though the immersion was on, however it is on and heating normally when I use the hot water switch on the CH boiler. (But I prefer to use the immersion for heating water).

Anyone got any idea what the solution is? I would be embarrased calling a plumber about this one if it's only a simple thing.

Cheers,
    Aglomerado

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the light on the myson wont light when the immersion is switched on.it may just switch off if the immersion activates the cylinder stat and knocks off the DHW.is the immersion heating the cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hi Dave
    the immersion isn't heating at all. I had it on for half an hour and the water was cold, which isn't usual.

There is a stat on the cylinder but I've never touched it (again, I know nothing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

30 mins is not enough time to heat a cylinder from cold. You would need to allow 2-3 hours to get really hot water.

In addition, it is generally accepted that it is cheaper to use a central heating boiler to heat DHW, provided the heating system is zoned to allow water heating only. One possible exception is homes which are on the ESB nightsaver tariff and use the immersion to heat water at night only.

Advertisement