Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIFE 2009 - 9 DAY'S TO GO - GET YOUR TICKETS

• 20-05-2009 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

i cant wait for this, many going down off the board

reminder of whats happening

FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON

CARL GRAIG - ASTRIX - GREEN VELVET

GOLDIE - SEBASTIEN LEGER - ALTERN 8 - OSCAR MULERO

ANDREW WEATHERALL - DAYDIN - KINDZAZA - CASPA

EARTHLING - EQUINOX - SILICON SOUND - RSD - PROTONICA - SUGAR EXPERIMENT STATION (NEIL LANDSTRUMM AND TOBIAS SCHMIDT) - CIRUS THE VIRUS - JELLYHEADZ - JAIA M-THEORY - NICKY BLACKMARKET - SUNIL SHARPE - LUKES ANGER - PETER GUAL

MR JONES SOUND SYSTEM - GENEPOOL - ZEFER - DIGITAL CIRCUS - MANDALA GROOVE – AL KEEGAN – RLB CONNOR G – SURGE DJS - DON ROSCO - DANNY ALONSO - PAUL ALLEN - DELORIENT - MATADOR - DAVID DE VALERA - AL REDMOND - XLR8 - GEOFF - SCOTT MCCABE & SAMJAY - VIC TRIPLAG - QVR - SYNERGY - BECKETT - RICKY FORCE - DANIEL RRELL - CRYSIS B2B NINJABIT - ALIEN ANGEL - EXECUTIVE STEVE - ELEKTRODUCHE - FUSION FAMILY - STU BREAKOLOGY - JACK IT DJS - SUBONE B2B KONSPYRACI - DROKRR - NATARAJ - PSYBABA - MILES IWES - WARBABY - MIXILE - KORK with VIOLINIST - MystErNon .... and many more

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm there! Anyone else?

ROLL CALL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Id like to go (even if the FSOL ISDN thingy is a farce)had a wicked time last year, but my bird is due soon so needs must.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Jonny, I've no idea what to expect, tell us what it's like?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I'd love to go to this too. Would love to hear Andy Weatherall again, even if he is past his sell-by date as has been suggested!

Zascar wrote: »
    Jonny, I've no idea what to expect, tell us what it's like?
    There's about 7/8 thousand or thereabouts, It's non commercial,non corporate and very tribal/psychedelic and hippy(ish)and thankfully no knackers....i loved the diversity of it,and it's not so big whereas if you lose your mates you won't spend hours looking for them, music wise there appeared to be almost everything to cater for everyones taste (even minimal for you minimal lovers:eek::D) i must say i really liked the Neutronyx stage, i wouldn't have considered myself a massive fan of Psy Trance beforehand (although i did used to like a lot of the earlier Goa stuff) but some of the stuff i heard last year was right up my street, driving,pounding stuff and people just went for it.

I hope the weather holds up for yiz an it was a complete washout last Sept but we still had a deadly time, for anyone who smokes id advise if you to stock up and even bring some to sell as people were desperate for smokes last year (there was none at all on the Sunday) everything else was in good supply ;) dunno what else to say except enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I'm there. Cannae ****in wait man! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 rexx le gaff

this is going to be my 1st year, i have heard so much great things about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

this is going to be my 1st year, i have heard so much great things about it

Same boat as me, seriously cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

This is the first year I'm going to miss it since it started...head wrecked.

Hope it goes well for them, it's always class weekend

jonny68 wrote: »
    for anyone who smokes id advise if you to stock up and even bring some to sell as people were desperate for smokes last year (there was none at all on the Sunday) everything else was in good supply ;)

Jesus yeah, had forgotten that. They were like golddust Sat night/Sun morning. Had a few boxes, I was like Hugh Hefner with young girls crowding round...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

been to a few, played last year and will be doing a performance this year and if the weather is good it has all the makings of a great event.

have to agree with a previous statement by jonny68 about the Neutronyx stage. I reckon psytrance is perfect outdoor music and if the sun is shining then you could almost imagine being at a doof in the bush in Australia.

to the smokers .. use it as your opportunity to give up smoking :D

looking forward to catching up with some old friends from the last few years.

Jesus yeah, had forgotten that. They were like golddust Sat night/Sun morning. Had a few boxes, I was like Hugh Hefner with young girls crowding round...

haha so did u "take advantage" of the situation :eek::D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Why go to a festival with financial gain in mind? People with that mindset should really just fall off the face of the earth, or go to planetlove or something of the like.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Eeerah I'm sure the missus was most appreciative!

First year for myself too, expectations high, but constantly battered by pathetic organisation. I'd expect this level of shafting from the dredded emm sea dee!

old gregg wrote: »
    been to a few, played last year and will be doing a performance this year and if the weather is good it has all the makings of a great event.

have to agree with a previous statement by jonny68 about the Neutronyx stage. I reckon psytrance is perfect outdoor music and if the sun is shining then you could almost imagine being at a doof in the bush in Australia.

to the smokers .. use it as your opportunity to give up smoking :D

looking forward to catching up with some old friends from the last few years.

im playing aswell, what stage are you playing on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

im playing aswell, what stage are you playing on

ah sound, i'm playing too! what stage are you on? all i know is i'm playing on sunday evening

will be running around with a camera crew doing a few interviews and what not with a few of the headliners... should be good crack if last year is anything to go by!

The Sunday morning chill session on the chill stage at midday.

I'm in the middle of a series of albums based around field recordings made while travelling in Australia. Last year I did a performance based on the journey from Perth to Sydney across the desert.

This year it will be ambient/downtempo based on field recordings made while in Sydney. The performance is being recorded for a Fluid Radio broadcast/podcast. After 20+ years doing ambient/sound art it will also be the first time for me to use beats in my music.

In August I'm doing a concert/live album in Transylvania that will be based on Queensland recordings.

Loking forward to catching some sets by other boards folks and do swing by and say hi if ya happen to be in the mood for some ambient/space music nexct Sunday.

The Sunday morning chill session on the chill stage at midday.

I'm in the middle of a series of albums based around field recordings made while travelling in Australia. Last year I did a performance based on the journey from Perth to Sydney across the desert.

This year it will be ambient/downtempo based on field recordings made while in Sydney. The performance is being recorded for a Fluid Radio broadcast/podcast. After 20+ years doing ambient/sound art it will also be the first time for me to use beats in my music.

In August I'm doing a concert/live album in Transylvania that will be based on Queensland recordings.

Loking forward to catching some sets by other boards folks and do swing by and say hi if ya happen to be in the mood for some ambient/space music nexct Sunday.

Wow... sounds interesting, love my ambient music.

A live concert in Transylvania? - is it dark ambient?!

not dark in any way though the setting does call for something ominous :)

sort of Biosphere meets early Tangerine Dream with occasional field recordings of things like emus, wallabies, road trains, skateboards and stuff thrown in.

I did joke with a friend about the sounds of Magnetic Island (Northern Queensland) curlews ringing out over the Carpathian mountains and scaring the vampires.

deeply uncomfortable about self promotion (for myself - hence the reason I'm still banging away on my own after so many years) but i can post a myspace/web site link for anyone interested. It's not dance music so I've tended to stay low key and just enjoy what other folks post around here.

Cool, would love to hear some so, huge Biosphere, Tangerine Dream fan also - the Biosphere / Higher Intelligence Agency collaborations being some of my favourite ambient albums.

Please do give some links to hear your music! Self promote man!!!

• Advertisement

not dark in any way though the setting does call for something ominous :)

sort of Biosphere meets early Tangerine Dream with occasional field recordings of things like emus, wallabies, road trains, skateboards and stuff thrown in.

I did joke with a friend about the sounds of Magnetic Island (Northern Queensland) curlews ringing out over the Carpathian mountains and scaring the vampires.

deeply uncomfortable about self promotion (for myself - hence the reason I'm still banging away on my own after so many years) but i can post a myspace/web site link for anyone interested. It's not dance music so I've tended to stay low key and just enjoy what other folks post around here.

sounds great im massively into my Ambient myself:cool:

ok cool and thanks.

http://www.mixile.com is where you can check some stuff out. I write/record/perform under the name miXile. It's years since I did any live work in Dublin (last time was the Project arts centre in '88) but am hoping to do a performance later this year during DEAF.

If you like what you hear/see then here's a free copy of my last album - 'Nullarbor' in pretty hi quality mp3 and full artwork:

The Nurrarbor album in high bitrate mp3 format (122MB):
    http://www.mixile.com/press/mixile-nullarbor.zip
    and artwork for the album in jpg format 3.3MB download:
    http://www.mixile.com/press/mixile-nullarbor-album-artwork.zip

... despite it all being very much Australian focussed (I'm from there originally but living in Waterford) there's no didgeridoo in the music ... and main reason for this is because Geir Jenson (Biosphere) himself told me it would all sound too clichéd were I to do that.

yea, his stuff with the HIA is pure classic for sure.

Enjoy (I hope)..

Mick

edit: forgot the obligatory myspace thing: http://www.myspace.com/mixilemusic

Thanks a lot for the extra info and link to your album, I'll download that now and give a listen.

Nice to have Geir to comment on the work you were doing... you couldn't really ask for a better individual for advice on ambient music!

Actually on the dub techno note with an ambient crossover, Yagya is an essential artist to check out...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Yagya

His albums are bloody expensive though and quite rare, his most recent is due for a repress though via the label 'Sending Orbs' and is listed now on boomkat as due to ship in 4 days... it has been saying that for a few weeks now but I sent them an email (boomkat) and they said it had been delayed but will be back into stock soon. Genuinely though, not to be missed! -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm hoping to make it up for Sunday night, friends of mine have been saying how great this fest was since they were there last year.

The same lads are playing again this year - they're headlining on the Human Music stage on the Sunday night, and they would love to know what people think of the tunes which are at www.skuzziport.com

The line up list above doesn't include the Human Music stage, so I'll copy in the band list from the life festival site.

Intinn - Robotnic - Breakdown Crew - The Hot Sprockets - The Red Lables - Rodeo Clowns - The Rye - New Secret Weapon - The Murder of Crows - Skuzzi Port - Fushion Family - More Tiny Gaints - The Bone Yard Junkies - Erick Noon - Sound of System Breakdown - ByPolar Empire - Sons of Ginger Bread - Mescalito - The Bottom Floor Band - Bovine Frenzy - The Looks - Enda Reilly - Nail Lawlor - Andy Delimer - Brain Kerie - Marus Karus - James Gillmartain - Babys Big Ego - The Pocket Ace's

Some great bands there, some I've heard lately and would recommend

Intinn - incredible Galway group, think they have an album coming out soon
    The Hot Sprockets - a lively rock sound with foot thumping tunes
    New Secret Weapon - Amazingly talented gang
    Enda Reilly - very much the thoughtful singing guitarist, his album spent more time in my CD player than out for the first month that I had it!
    Murder of Crows - love 'em!

Anyone got other recommendations?

line up for the surge shed over 3 days @ life

carl craig
    green velvet
    oscar mulero
    christian smith
    sebastien leger
    sugar experiment station(neil landstrumm and tobias scmidt)
    goldie
    altern8
    caspa+mc rod azlan
    equinox
    loefah
    sunil sharpe
    peter gaul
    giles armstrong
    eamonn doyle
    robbie ryan
    jeff walters
    al keegan
    barry redsettaz
    conor g
    LRB
    junction djs
    Howie miller
    martin smyth
    matador
    dave de valera
    paul allen
    string live
    delorient
    xlr8
    al redmond
    digital circus
    tommy finnan
    dave davin
    danny alonso

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

In Fairness, with one day to go, someone would want to be coming on fairly lively with a timetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wish I was going :(

Lads does anyone know is there much of a walk from the car park to the campsite? Hoping its not as its so much smaller than EP, i have a lot of sh1t to carry!

as far as I know it's only around 5mins walk

• Advertisement

ok cool and thanks.

http://www.mixile.com is where you can check some stuff out. I write/record/perform under the name miXile. It's years since I did any live work in Dublin (last time was the Project arts centre in '88) but am hoping to do a performance later this year during DEAF.

If you like what you hear/see then here's a free copy of my last album - 'Nullarbor' in pretty hi quality mp3 and full artwork:

The Nurrarbor album in high bitrate mp3 format (122MB):
    http://www.mixile.com/press/mixile-nullarbor.zip
    and artwork for the album in jpg format 3.3MB download:
    http://www.mixile.com/press/mixile-nullarbor-album-artwork.zip

... despite it all being very much Australian focussed (I'm from there originally but living in Waterford) there's no didgeridoo in the music ... and main reason for this is because Geir Jenson (Biosphere) himself told me it would all sound too clichéd were I to do that.

yea, his stuff with the HIA is pure classic for sure.

Enjoy (I hope)..

Mick

edit: forgot the obligatory myspace thing: http://www.myspace.com/mixilemusic

I finally got around to listening to this today - took a bit as my CD buying has been out of hand the last while and I tend to forget about MP3s etc on the computer as they are not sitting physically in front of me!

What can I say, a really fantastic album, loved every minute of it... a real 'journey' of an album. Can hear influences from Eno, HIA, Biosphere & Klaus Schulze. If someone handed it to me and said it was a new Biosphere album, I would say another great release to his discography.

Highly recommended to any others here into ambient music.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I finally got around to listening to this today - took a bit as my CD buying has been out of hand the last while and I tend to forget about MP3s etc on the computer as they are not sitting physically in front of me!

What can I say, a really fantastic album, loved every minute of it... a real 'journey' of an album. Can hear influences from Eno, HIA, Biosphere & Klaus Schulze. If someone handed it to me and said it was a new Biosphere album, I would say another great release to his discography.

massively into Ambient myself so will give this a listen.:)

Felixdhc wrote: »

crikey, not sure what to say here ... many thanks man, it's a real buzz to get feedback and emotional stuff when the feedback is as positive as this. It took 12 months to complete and it's still my favourite project. I had to temporarily remove the audio files from the server the other day to make room for the Life Fest recording of my 'Sydney' performance that's going out on Fluid Radio in the UK shortly but can up them again if folks here would like to take a listen.

Many thanks again Felixdhc, I'll owe you a beer for that some day.

crikey, not sure what to say here ... many thanks man, it's a real buzz to get feedback and emotional stuff when the feedback is as positive as this. It took 12 months to complete and it's still my favourite project. I had to temporarily remove the audio files from the server the other day to make room for the Life Fest recording of my 'Sydney' performance that's going out on Fluid Radio in the UK shortly but can up them again if folks here would like to take a listen.

Many thanks again Felixdhc, I'll owe you a beer for that some day.

Not at all, thank you for the music!

Advertisement