Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipswich coming to town

• 20-05-2009 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Ipswich are to play Limerick and Cork City in July. Speculated dates are July 17th for Limerick. July 19th for City. Should be a nice earner for both clubs.

I just hope the Sunderland jersies are dyed easily to blue :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here we go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lolz

if i owned a sports shop in limerick or cork i get the Ipswich jersey in right away
    you'd be in the money then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It will be interesting to see the results given that Ipswich would be in that group of clubs capable of Premiership football, it will be a good benchmark for Cork in particular.

Don't see the issue with them coming over, Roy Keane factor will be good for Limerick and Cork as it puts bums on seats. I doubt Ipswich are expecting to make a huge amount of cash from a trip to Ireland, more that it is convenient to travel too and lets them face reasonably strong opposition without playing teams in the same league as them in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Draupnir wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see the results given that Ipswich would be in that group of clubs capable of Premiership football, it will be a good benchmark for Cork in particular.
    Yeah, because Cork City and Limerick FC are going to be fielding full strength teams in friendlies taking place smack bang in the middle of their seasons.
    Don't see the issue with them coming over, Roy Keane factor will be good for Limerick and Cork as it puts bums on seats.
    ...and take the money of the celebrity cult followers.

Win/win.

You can't blame Ipswich for the friendlies during the season, LOI chose to be a summer league and now they chose to accept friendlies. It's not like Roy Keane is standing there with a pistol to their heads (I think).

I think it's a good situation for LOI football to have these clubs coming over, at least something is coming back into football in the country from England since all the good young players p1ss off to get rejected by PL clubs and end up settling in league 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It's the sheer glamour of it that I can't take. :D

You can't blame Ipswich for the friendlies during the season,
    :confused:

I know, and I don't.

All I was saying was that your assertion that it will be a good benchmark for Cork City is a bit unfounded, as I can't see either Cork City, or Ipswich, playing anything like full strength.

It will be a benchmark of nothing. In my opinion of course.
    LOI chose to be a summer league and now they chose to accept friendlies. It's not like Roy Keane is standing there with a pistol to their heads (I think).
    Aye, sure Shels played Leeds and Celtic last Summer. The Leeds game cost us promotion, seeing as our manager, in all his wisdom, played our best player and top scorer, who was then mutilated by Rui Marquez and out of the game for months after.

I think it's a good situation for LOI football to have these clubs coming over, at least something is coming back into football in the country from England since all the good young players p1ss off to get rejected by PL clubs and end up settling in league 1.
    I absolutely agree with you.

Get the teams over who will get bums on seats.

Hundred percent agree.

The people who come to the games don't care, or more likely have no idea, who the opposition is (by opposition I mean the LoI team) once they can see "their" team play.

Des wrote: »
    :confused:

I know, and I don't.

All I was saying was that your assertion that it will be a good benchmark for Cork City is a bit unfounded, as I can't see either Cork City, or Ipswich, playing anything like full strength.

It will be a benchmark of nothing. In my opinion of course.

Aye, sure Shels played Leeds and Celtic last Summer. The Leeds game cost us promotion, seeing as our manager, in all his wisdom, played our best player and top scorer, who was then mutilated by Rui Marquez and out of the game for months after.

I absolutely agree with you.

Get the teams over who will get bums on seats.

Hundred percent agree.

The people who come to the games don't care, or more likely have no idea, who the opposition is (by opposition I mean the LoI team) once they can see "their" team play.

I meant "you can't blame" in the general sense rather than directed at you specifically.

It will be pretty nuts if Irish people are there supporting Ipswich though, I could understand people supporting Roy Keane and wanting to see him do well, but people cheering for Ipswich Town to beat Cork City, even as a Dubliner, would make me want to slap them.

I meant "you can't blame" in the general sense rather than directed at you specifically.
    Fair enough
    It will be pretty nuts if Irish people are there supporting Ipswich though,
    Ipswich will be a massive draw. If the people want to sing their Ipswich CLAP CLAP CLAP songs, let them.

As long as they pay the twenty quid in.

Fools and their money and all that. ;)
    I could understand people supporting Roy Keane and wanting to see him do well, but people cheering for Ipswich Town to beat Cork City, even as a Dubliner, would make me want to slap them.

As I said.

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Think they are headed to tallafornia as well.

We are due to play SPA July 17th, but they will be in Europe then so that game will probably be re scheduled, freeing up CCFCs schedule.

If it s a money spinner, I cannot see the bad.

No doubt the mongs in our support will be singing such community awareness chants as "support your local team......we all do and so should you, support your local team". Todays game is brought to you by the letter T, for tard. They will also quite likely bring their passports and wave them at the Irish players playing for the opposition, as has happened at a number of Ireland U21 games.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    If it s a money spinner, I cannot see the bad. .
    Nope
    They will also quite likely bring their passports and wave them at the Irish players playing for the opposition, as has happened at a number of Ireland U21 games.

:D

What?!

Apparently the intelligencia who support CCFC believe they are traitors because they dare play at a higher level abroad. We should all know that the be all and end all of football is LOI. You are not allowed have any knowledge of any other leagues or international football, otherwise you are not a real fan. Typically these people actually have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, but will not adnit same, so they can trly show how hardcore a CCFC/LOI fan they are.

Aunts the lot of them (you know what I mean) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

No doubt the mongs in our support will be singing such community awareness chants as "support your local team......we all do and so should you, support your local team".
    I sincerely hope not. Such disgraceful behaviour can only serve further to alienate the sensitive EPL/Championshiper, and consign our league to another century in the dark ages. And we'll have no one to blame but ourselves. :(

But it might be fun... :p

^ As mentioned, it happens every U21 game, or any game at The Cross where there is an influx of non regulars to the ground. Its actually pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It will be pretty nuts if Irish people are there supporting Ipswich though, I could understand people supporting Roy Keane and wanting to see him do well, but people cheering for Ipswich Town to beat Cork City, even as a Dubliner, would make me want to slap them.
    This happens all the time when UK teams play friendlies here.

A lad on foot.ie was only last week describing the Derry vs Celtic friendly in mid 90s when football fans from Derry were boarding buses in their thousands to travel to Dublin to cheer on Celtic against their own home town.

Thast where I took my dislike to FC Celtic Og Glasgow. Packed house at TX, Celtic took a 3-2 lead and the Cork based FC Celtic fans start singing "Can you hhear the City sing, noooo, noooooo" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't really see the cheering of visitors thing going on too much for teams like Ipswich. I'm sure it's probably isolated to the bigger teams like Celtic, who just be banned from playing here.

Don't mind fixtures against your Ipswiches. Chances are you won't get beaten by too much - may even get a result; the club makes money, and you may get some kids who like the buzz and stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Headshot wrote: »
    lolz

if i owned a sports shop in limerick or cork i get the Ipswich jersey in right away
    you'd be in the money then
    No you wouldn't.
    Thast where I took my dislike to FC Celtic Og Glasgow. Packed house at TX, Celtic took a 3-2 lead and the Cork based FC Celtic fans start singing "Can you hhear the City sing, noooo, noooooo" etc.
    In fairness Celtic recently just packed out an entire stand in Ibrox with Ireland flags. They're unique and surely people can understand why an Irishman would support them.

Anyway, Ipswich will get attract crowd. Because of Roy Keane. Only because of Roy Keane. Irish people won't suddenly be claiming to support Ipswich, that's for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Isnt there High Court procedings on to close CCFC next week? What happens then?

eirebhoy wrote: »
    No you wouldn't.

In fairness Celtic recently just packed out an entire stand in Ibrox with Ireland flags.

As much as I applaud the attempt to wind up the corresponding boneheads in the other stands their selfless and altruistic gesture of ecumenicism, haven't they got one already?

scotland-flag.180x180sq%5B1%5D.jpg

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    As much as I applaud the attempt to wind up the corresponding boneheads in the other stands their selfless and altruistic gesture of ecumenicism, haven't they got one already?
    And who were they winding up here:
    http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/RsrsMG8CsW378PbF3hNHtQ576771

;) Sorry I shouldn't be dragging this thread off topic. I just have to get the last word. :(

In fairness Celtic recently just packed out an entire stand in Ibrox with Ireland flags. They're unique and surely people can understand why an Irishman would support them.
    Because they are successful?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Des wrote: »
    Fools and their money and all that. ;)

yeah! ha! those fools dont know how to be entertained. they are so cr@p at being entertained.
    im off now to watch Hamlet On Ice

Jazzy wrote: »
    yeah! ha! those fools dont know how to be entertained. they are so cr@p at being entertained.
    Its Ipswich.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Because they are successful?
    So are Rangers and Real Madrid. :)

So are Rangers and Real Madrid. :)
    But not Hibs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Its Ipswich.

its limerick

Jazzy wrote: »
    its limerick
    Touché :)

Cost-conscious republicans should note that you can get your fix of Irish up North without spending money on flights and hotels. A two-tier package is available with deluxe (Derry) or standard (Cliftonville) options. Guaranteed Irish product, with authentic oppression certificate.

Small print.

Guaranteed league titles, champions league football and mega stadia not included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Irish people won't suddenly be claiming to support Ipswich, that's for certain.

They will if Ispwich can get themselves promoted next season, particularly if Keane decides to pick up an Irish player or two.
    So are Rangers and Real Madrid.
    and Rangers get massive support in a certain part of Ireland, and Madrids jerseys sell like hotcakes up and down the country.

Big Ears wrote: »
    They will if Ispwich can get themselves promoted next season, particularly if Keane decides to pick up an Irish player or two.
    It never happened with Sunderland. In Dublin at least.

Advertisement