Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone put up my price plan without permission

Options
  • 20-05-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I recently went into vodafone and signed up to the ' perfect choice 100' deal which was €20 PM. So I get first bill at 30 (happy enough) then second. This month is 80.

I should mention that I have a blackberry storm. Which I bout myself ..not in a contract or anything related to Vodafone.

This months bill was €80 because they updated my priceplan to "suit my phone" without my permission. I signed no contract, or gave anyone permission to change the tarriff.

I called vodafone and they said because of my phone type they can only put me on that price plan. This is total rubbish because I don't use it any differently than say a normal nokia.. I knows there's email and web browsing on the blackberry but I don't use them.

Am I being filled full of rubbish here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes, they cannot change the plan without permission

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Blackberries need to be a specific plan becuase of the amount of data they use.

If they hadn't changed it the data charges would have bankrupted you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

jhegarty wrote: »
    Blackberries need to be a specific plan becuase of the amount of data they use.

If they hadn't changed it the data charges would have bankrupted you.

I should have mentioned that with the perfect choice 100 I got thr 9.99 a month 1GB of web browse and email add-on... So they still have no right putting up my price plan.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I called vodafone and they said because of my phone type they can only put me on that price plan. This is total rubbish because I don't use it any differently than say a normal nokia.. I knows there's email and web browsing on the blackberry but I don't use them.

They shouldn't have changed your plan without permission.

......but ...

What are you doing with a phone like that if you aren't going to use the features that it offers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Thats not the point.

Just cos you have a specific type of phone doesnt mean you have to use all the features it has..

• Advertisement

I am using the phone and the web browser... I'm also using it the same way I was when I got the €30 bill.

Sure I could ring up and say I have put the sim into a nokia and I'm guessing they'll change it back. The problem is Vodafone seem to forget that the phone is my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

When the phone connects to the network, it send a signal that will specify it's type. The Blackberry is a very specific type, so the change might have flagged automatically.

They probably shouldn't have changed your price plan without permission, but then again, if they didn't change your price plan you might have been on here posting about massive high charges for you using your Blackberry.

Paulw wrote: »
    When the phone connects to the network, it send a signal that will specify it's type. The Blackberry is a very specific type, so the change might have flagged automatically.

They probably shouldn't have changed your price plan without permission, but then again, if they didn't change your price plan you might have been on here posting about massive high charges for you using your Blackberry.

Again.. By adding the 9,99 1GB email and web browsing I had already defended myself from high costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First off, do not pay the 80 euro bill. Cancel your direct debit if necessary. Second, tell them to put you back on to the old plan or you're off. If they do this, tell them to re-issue a bill for last month, at the proper rate, which you will pay. If they refuse, change operator.

They had no right to increase your phone tariff without asking, or at least telling you, in advance.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    First off, do not pay the 80 euro bill. Cancel your direct debit if necessary. Second, tell them to put you back on to the old plan or you're off. If they do this, tell them to re-issue a bill for last month, at the proper rate, which you will pay. If they refuse, change operator.

They had no right to increase your phone tariff without asking, or at least telling you, in advance.

Thank you for your reply.. I think what you have mentioned is exactly what I was thinking of doing. The only thing which adds insult to injury is that the got a €100 deposit on opening the pay monthly acc. So canceling the DD isn't te answer but I am definitely going to follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where did you get the blackberry storm from?

Bought on ebay, was an upgrade someone didn't want. Payed nearly 300 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They shouldn't have changed your plan without permission.

......but ...

What are you doing with a phone like that if you aren't going to use the features that it offers ?

it is not your business or vodafone's why the op has a blackberry storm or why anyone has any particular handset! vodafone have broken the contract and the law by changing your contract without your knowledge or permission.

op you should write to vodafone and make a formal complaint then contact ComReg who will sort it out if vodafone do not get back to you, otherwise just start proceedings in the small claims court to get the deposit and all other monies back that they have taken illegally.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    op you should write to vodafone and make a formal complaint then contact ComReg who will sort it out if vodafone do not get back to you, otherwise just start proceedings in the small claims court to get the deposit and all other monies back that they have taken illegally.
    Wow, overreact much?

Just ring Vodafone and explain that your price plan was changed without you having requested or approved it.

Hi folks.
    I recently went into vodafone and signed up to the ' perfect choice 100' deal which was €20 PM. So I get first bill at 30 (happy enough) then second. This month is 80.

How much of the €80 was the fixed price plan charge ?

41.40 and 39.58 usage. The usage was nearly all texts. the normal usage price plan should be 19.99 (that's a 100% increase that I didn't ask for)

And b4 anyone says it .... Yes I need a txt bundle. :-)

The problem is that your €20 price plan didn't include any blackberry data.

If they didn't change the plan you would have been on the per mb rate.

That's €2 per Mb. How many MB did you use ?

seamus wrote: »
    Wow, overreact much?

Just ring Vodafone and explain that your price plan was changed without you having requested or approved it.

I don't think its an over reaction as I have rang Vodafone and they said because of my phone I hage to have this price plan, and I can't downgrade even tho I didn't ask for the higher tarriff... Its total nonscence IMO

The problem is that your €20 price plan didn't include any blackberry data.

If they didn't change the plan you would have been on the per mb rate.

That's €2 per Mb. How many MB did you use ?

Please read through the thread... I know your only trying to help but this is the third time I've said this..
    I also had a €9.99 addon ontop of the €20 which gave me 1GB of web browsing and email.
    And again this worked out ok as my first bill was €

• Advertisement

Please read through the thread... I know your only trying to hp but this is the third time I've said this..
    <B> I also had a €9.99 addon ontop of the €20 which gave me 1GB of web browsing and email.<B/>

And again this worked out ok as my first bill was €30

The normal data add-on does not cover blackberry data. That is why blackberries have their own price plans.

Your choices are
    1) Don't use a blackberry
    2) Pay a blackberry price plan
    3) Bankrupt yourself on a per mb rate

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Having a Blackberry Storm myself, it seems you are automatically placed on the Perfect Choice Access Plans which seem to be exclusive to the Blackberry Storm. Im on the PCA 100 plan myself which I find good for the data but rarely use the texts or minutes included. No other plans seem to be allowed with it.

Apologies then foggy_lad, I missed that.

I wouldn't hold off on paying the bill. Ultimately then they'll just cut you off. MIght be worth ringing up again and asking to be escalated to a supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

The normal data add-on does not cover blackberry data. That is why blackberries have their own price plans.

Your choices are
    Please stop talking mis-truths!

Blackberries only have their own data plan for BIS service, ie blackberry mail, msn/google chat/bberry maps/bberry browser. Those services controlled by service books, which the OP doesn't have. All the OP has to do, is set tcp-ip setting to isp.vodafone.ie or live.vodafone.ie (which ever he bought the bundle for) and they can use opera or bolt browser to surf web using that bundle's data.
    I ran a bberry curve, which I'd even got from Vodafone.ie on contract without the blackberry service plan for 4 months.

OP, get back onto vodafone, ask for a supervisor, ask for refund, remind them that they have no written request or verbal request (recorded on the system) from you, and that you'll be taking advice from ComReg and Consumer Agency on ways to recover the amount, and are considering a small claims court.
    i'd also contact the usual media, Joe Duffy/local radio morning show to make your complaint public.
    I have found that sending a letter to the CEOs of Vodafone.ie and Uk, can help speed things up!

FWIW, here's the relevant part of the pay monthly terms and conditions:
    Vodafone Perfect Choice Access with the Blackberry Storm

1. The following terms and conditions of the Vodafone Perfect Choice Access tariff (“the Tariff”) with the Blackberry Storm are in addition to and form part of the terms and conditions of the Vodafone mobile communications service. In the event of any conflict, these terms and conditions shall prevail.
    2. Perfect Choice terms and conditions will also apply to this Tariff. In the event of any conflict the terms and conditions of this Tariff will prevail.
    3. Customers who connect or upgrade to the Blackberry Storm on Perfect Choice Access will be signing up to a 12 month contract with Vodafone.
    4. The Blackberry Storm device is only available for purchase to customers connecting to Vodafone Pay Monthly or existing Vodafone Pay Monthly customers who are upgrading.
    5. Customers who purchase or upgrade to the Blackberry Storm will be required to connect/migrate to this Tariff.
    6. Customers on Perfect Choice Access price plans can change to another price plan within the Tariff range every 30 days.
    7. When Customers are changing to a Perfect Choice Access price plan, the change of price plan will be effective from the Customer’s next billing day. Usage prior to the next bill day for calls, texts, browsing, music downloads and mobile TV will be billed as per the current price plan. Blackberry e-mail application will be applied to Customer’s account immediately and will not incur additional charges prior to the next bill day.
    8. Perfect Choice Access customers cannot move to a price plan outside the Tariff range whilst they retain their Blackberry Storm handset
    9. Customers who no longer have the Blackberry Storm handset will only be able to migrate back to a tariff within the Perfect Choice range
    10. Vodafone Prepay customers who get the Blackberry Storm will not have access to the full range of services offered by the Blackberry Storm and will be charged existing Prepay rates for using accessible services

It's a little ambiguous. Though the words "connect" and "purchase" clearly imply that this section only applies when you source the blackberry from Vodafone. However, point 8 gives a second lock-in basically saying that "If you have a Blackberry Storm handset, you must use the blackberry storm tarriff".

They'll fight you on it because there's wiggle room here in the T's & C's where what they've done may be justifiable. Fight them strongly enough on it and they should back down.

Your choices are

How would you explain that the first bill was 30 and I haven't used the phone any different than last month and this bills doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

How would you explain that the first bill was 30 and I haven't used the phone any different than last month and this bills doubled.

Because of the Terms & Conditions posted by Seamus. The Blackberry config/plan came in to effect on your next billing date.

You can fight them, and they may come to a compromise with you, but on the other hand, they may not.

ComReg, Small Claims Court, etc may not help your problem either.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Please stop talking mis-truths!

Blackberries only have their own data plan for BIS service, ie blackberry mail, msn/google chat/bberry maps/bberry browser. Those services controlled by service books, which the OP doesn't have. All the OP has to do, is set tcp-ip setting to isp.vodafone.ie or live.vodafone.ie (which ever he bought the bundle for) and they can use opera or bolt browser to surf web using that bundle's data.
    I ran a bberry curve, which I'd even got from Vodafone.ie on contract without the blackberry service plan for 4 months.

OP, get back onto vodafone, ask for a supervisor, ask for refund, remind them that they have no written request or verbal request (recorded on the system) from you, and that you'll be taking advice from ComReg and Consumer Agency on ways to recover the amount, and are considering a small claims court.
    i'd also contact the usual media, Joe Duffy/local radio morning show to make your complaint public.
    I have found that sending a letter to the CEOs of Vodafone.ie and Uk, can help speed things up!

Perfect post. You have explained everything correctly. To be honest I think its a case of little britain and "computer says no" either way ill be getting my refund.

Paulw wrote: »
    Because of the Terms & Conditions posted by Seamus. The Blackberry config/plan came in to effect on your next billing date.

You can fight them, and they may come to a compromise with you, but on the other hand, they may not.

ComReg, Small Claims Court, etc may not help your problem either.

Yes but please remember these are the T&C for the perfect choice 100 ACCESS... The one I didn't sign up to ... The one vodafone took upon themselves to move me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I am using the phone and the web browser... I'm also using it the same way I was when I got the €30 bill.

So you've been using the BBerry browser?

That explains it then. You should have checked that out. The BBerry browser can ONLY be used on one of the BBerry price plans, due to the way it connects.

You have no comeback. You were attempting to use a service outside of your tariff, and they charged accordingly, in fact, being a fairer solution than just charging you for the data.

You should actually count yourself lucky.

Advertisement