Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona v Manchester United

• 20-05-2009 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I predict a Barcelona victory by a single goal and lots of trouble between Roma and MU fans in Rome.

UEFA don't really use much common sense when picking venues for big games.
    Imagine the scene if Dublin gets Rangers in the Europa Cup Final 2011.

Love Ulster riot would be like a tea party
    UEFA should keep a number of options open until they see who the likely teams will be.

Chelsea v United could have gone to Wembley.
    There could be provisional venues based of all final combination outcomes at an earlier stage.

Anyway, hope its a good game and all goes well but I'm not optimistic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Good grief.

There's a game coming up between two of the best footballing teams on the planet, and you choose to focus on the negative aspects?

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I do think the stadium choice of late is crap though. Moscow was a pain in the ass for people to get to, and the pitch was too far away form the stands.

Rome has a recent history of fan violence, the ever increasing reputation of the Roma Ultras and the stadium is annoying as the pitch is too far away from the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tbf UEFA are warning both of set of fans about the dangerous places of Rome and not to walk to the stadium instead get the bus provided for the CL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    tbf UEFA are warning both of set of fans about the dangerous places of Rome and not to walk to the stadium instead get the bus provided for the CL final

tbf, if they are going to these lengths due to the relatively high probability of violence, they should not have picked Rome for the final in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yap i Know

utd had trouble there and Arsenal also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca are used to smashing teams who wear white recently, so should be a cakewalk in Rome.. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The leader of the Ultras groups tend to have fairly high-level contact with club officials, and given the importance of this occasion, and the fact that Italy wants to host future European Championships and World Cups and already missed out on 2012 due to fan violence, senior officials and Ultras leaders may come to some sort of 'financial agreement.'

It's a fairly damning indictment of Italian football, and arguably society, but there is a history of paying off the Ultras to keep them happy. There will most likely be sporadic problems between random Italian scum and English drunks, but I don't think there will be any large scale, organized violence. I hope I'm right. Of course there is also the possibility that the Boix Nois will cause some trouble and embarrass Laporta on the biggest stage there is, but again hopefully this won't come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, Rome does have form as a bad place for English fans to go to. Not a good choice of venue.

Although 99% of the Manchester United fans are in more danger of falling down pub stairs, so lets just enjoy the football. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Des wrote: »
    Good grief.

There's a game coming up between two of the best footballing teams on the planet, and you choose to focus on the negative aspects?

Wow.

so what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Regards security I wouldnt be too concerned about it. The Roman police will be everywhere, what with the biggest game of the season on in their own backyard. Of course if people go looking for trouble or acting like a complete yob I am sure they will find it.

Anyways good to see Henry and Iniesta should be fit for the final. Now just trying to figure out where to watch it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pal wrote: »
    so what

eh, because it's a game of football, the biggest of the season not a political meeting

How many reports do you reckon Sky will do on the Ultras next week? I reckon they will have a three part report.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Locked,with the original thread to be opened after Sundays games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement