Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub in Charlesland Shopping Centre (Superquinn) to be opened?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Swanner wrote: »
    Totally agree. Judging by the constant complaints on here by charlesland residents about cars revving, dogs barking, ice cream vans, neighbours parties, the cranes at the harbour, house alarms, pheasants, wind chimes, someone farting 2 doors down, ducks quacking in Kilcoole etc etc etc.

:)

royston_vasey_465x200.jpg

{This isn't a complaint}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

We'll have no trouble here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

A local pub, for local people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

papa.jpg

Hello Dave! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Is it big enough to cater for more than one sport at a time.Most 'sports' bars end up with wall -to- wall of the same sport because the place isn't big enough to have different sports on the box without one commentary interfering with the other......or are we just talking about an English premiership sports bar.

I agree with Swanner, a place with good live music and decent fodder would fill a niche. I hope they can make a go of it. Sick of the same old 'hospitality'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Well considering our cafe is gone, I am sure that whoever is considering the pub must have to think twice.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Is there not a requirement for a planning aplication or pub license to be displayed before a pub can open?

Anyone seen any evidence of this?

Really does seem very weird that anyone would even consider opening a pub there at the mo, never mind the fact that the bank wouldnt even look at you for finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it already has planning permission to be a pub. They would need to get a liquor license for the premises too - this is a district court procedure afaik.

As MrsA has mentioned, whoever is running the place should take note of the fact that the cafe has closed and try to grab some of this daytime custom (as they're not likely to get many drinkers during the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Sorry to highjack, but are you talking about the Cafe beside Superquinn that is closed? With the outside tables, paninis etc? I am really hoping not....

Rasmus wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack, but are you talking about the Cafe beside Superquinn that is closed? With the outside tables, paninis etc? I am really hoping not....

apparently so - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055680891

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Have to say that if this place is not to be doomed to going the way of Script, it needs the good people of Charlesland to support it. Otherwise the not so good people will come and will come through our estate to get to it. I'm not really pleased that this place is opening. I hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hutnut

totally agree with you there they have to be very carefull,hope to god it does not backfire could be the ruin of a good peacefull area if this is not done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Script is moving into the Charlesland pub area. They are moving in for the first week in December. This has been confirmed. They are just waiting for their current lease to expire.

YAY!

Edit, Nevermind. This is apparrently old news.

Anyway this is all the information I have on the new venture...

It's going to be a sports bar with one pool table and there will be a lounge too. I also believe they will be bringing the food back in.

I've heard a bit about Spirit on boards. Where was it in Greystones, and what kind of pub is it? Or is it still going?

Sorry, I spelled it wrong. It's script. I have also updated my post, as it appears I am out of the loop :D

Whoops sorry I stuck Spirit in instead of Script. Where is their current lease, does anyone know?

Was a failure becuse of the usual probs. Football shirts selling drugs and fighting. Security staff were complicit in some of the problems. Mark 2, woodlands was a nice operation at first for sure. Good wines, very passable food in bar. Restaurant upstairs was a flop. Original manager was a great bloke and did his best. Dont know how its going now. I hope that manager is in charge of the Charlesland one. But really! Pool?,Sports? Can see a problem there.

So the same owners are moving the operation to Charlesland? I don't see how they will fare better there - although I am glad there will be somewhere to eat and have a drink in the area.

Rasmus wrote: »
    So the same owners are moving the operation to Charlesland? I don't see how they will fare better there - although I am glad there will be somewhere to eat and have a drink in the area.

In Charlesland he'll have quite a few hundred people on his doorstep who usually have to wander all the way into Greystones for a beer. The reason Woodlands/Scripts failed cos its away from the main bit of town and doesnt really have many houses around it. Believe it or not some people actually get a cab from outside Greystones Station to the Woodlands. I can see the pub down beside/behind Squinn as doing quite well.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think the bar failed becuase it was pretty easy for "blow ins" to get to it from the Dart. I think being further away will be good for the pub. I don't think as many people will bother travelling so far to get to it.

It's not doing terrible business there at the moment. I'm a fairly frequent goer. Every second week or so and there is never any trouble there anymore even though they do get some crowds in.

They had a late licence, I think, and that pulled in some fairly large crowds but I reckon they will drop that when they move.

They are fantastic for functions aswell. They offer great prices and will cover the food in the price. It's well worth it for them too. The more they have in the more they make on alcohol sales.

d31b0y wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the bar failed becuase it was pretty easy for "blow ins" to get to it from the Dart.

Surely that made him more money rather than relying on local customers.

How far away constitutes a blow in?

You are right of course, but it also brought a lot of the trouble with it at first. When I say blow in, I don't really mean any particular distance, I mean more along the lines of the people who weren't allowed into their local for whatever reason. And there were a lot of them, as far as I could tell...

That's just my oppinion though.

I'm not clear here - is it the current owners of the "Woodlands Lodge" who are opening in Charlesland, or the previous owners of "Script"?

Think it's woodlands owner. Although that manager I wrote of has gone from the fold. Dont think we can blame so called blow ins. Greystones has its own share of totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

... But really! Pool?,Sports? Can see a problem there.

Well, this time they have a blank canvas to work with. I think the first Script was dire. Then the Woodlands Lodge made a decent effort, and alot of people like it but I feel the location let it down.

So the interior designer needs to get this one right. Not everyone will be in the pub on a Tuesday night having a pint - unless there's a match on. So it will want to be somewhere where most would like to retreat to whatever day it is.

I do see it easier though heading across for a pint with a couple of the lads locally. How far do baby monitors range these days - or will that get me into trouble?! :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

what'll happen to woodlands now. For the scrapheap probably. The new place should hire some local door staff for first few weeks so the aforementioned 'barred from the locals' don't move in and wreck the name of the new pub. Can take years to recover from a bad name. Seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

Any pub with a television and sky sports turns in to a sports bar on the night of a big match but I'm not sure a dedicated sports bar would work for Charlesland. The survival and prosperity of a local depends on being inclusive. It must be a place where mothers feel comfortable meeting for a coffee in the afternoon and also a place to meet and watch the game. Over aggressive sports bars that constantly show sport regardless of quality tend to be off putting to most people. As far as pool tables go, they are a lot of fun but add an element of danger and need to be supported by a strong security policy and good staff to enforce it in as non confrontational a way as possible. It might not be a bad idea for whomever is opening the pub to consult with his potential clients and neighbors. If anyone talks to him they should let him know about this thread in case he's not following it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I wonder now will this place open. It seems like a big risk. Pubs that open in residential areas tend not to do that well. To move into an empty shell costs a lot. You would have the design, fitting out, staff and stock. This would cost probably 1.5m to do.
    There are about a thousand houses and appts in the immediate Charlesland area ( not including the eden gate end ) This is pretty small. If you take a look at the sports bar angle, it is really only big events that will fill a pub like a rugby international. Most people who watch the football matches do so at home with friends. They buy a crate of beer, watch the match on the large screen at home and the bonus is you can smoke. This is a growing trend that publicans are only too aware of and their business is suffering because of it. I would personally run a mile from setting up a business like that just now, far far too easy to get burnt.

• Advertisement

Yep, the figure being thrown around for the last year, just to get in the door, was €1m. With commercial realities out there you would think that figure was revised. I'm sure the management are watching this thread but the silence is deafening. Speak up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement