Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub in Charlesland Shopping Centre (Superquinn) to be opened?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

the fact that the new pub is owned by woodlands owner is actually a good thing. They should already have a good knowledge of who shouldn't be allowed in. This is different to a brand new pub with unfamiliar customer base. If they have continuity of door staff from there to here, it'll hopefully prevent a bad name being earned. Just on a different note, i thought the cafe food was good, not great, and was overpriced. That's why i didn't eat there much. Did they drop their prices or what did they do to get customers back in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

dr ro wrote: »
    the fact that the new pub is owned by woodlands owner is actually a good thing. They should already have a good knowledge of who shouldn't be allowed in. This is different to a brand new pub with unfamiliar customer base. If they have continuity of door staff from there to here, it'll hopefully prevent a bad name being earned. Just on a different note, i thought the cafe food was good, not great, and was overpriced. That's why i didn't eat there much. Did they drop their prices or what did they do to get customers back in?
    Mmmm... I agree, they should know who not to allow in, however the debacle that was the nightclub upstairs would lead me to think differently. Tony may well come back and tell us he wasn't responsible for the club, but the fact of the matter is, it should have been better managed as ultimately it seriously effected the perception of the pub.

I am really glad Tumbleweed is opening, but I sincerely hope they get the door policy right from the moment they open for business, because if they lose the business on their doorstep then we'll be looking at yet another failure in the Charlesland center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

There are aprox 1,000 units in Charlesland. If you average 2.5 people per unit, and assume that 20% are under under 21, you have a potential customer base of 2,000 people right on the doorstep of the pub. If the pub does what previous posts have suggested and this is to let in anyone, then these 2,000 people will not set foot inside the place (look at Woodlands - I have walked past it to go to the Burnaby) The biggest mistake this pub can make is not having a bouncer on the door in the evenings... If they do have a bouncer, then it has makings of a very good local pub. The potential of the place is limitless. Sports nights, food promos, drinks promos, locals in, riff raff out..... I pray the owner reads this!

What makes you people think it is going to attract the wrong type of people?anyway you iive in greystones not a council estate in north dublin somewhere..Also what gives Charlesland residents the exclusive rights to drinking in the new pub...it will be closed in 12 months because people will not put their money where their mouth is and regularly visit the pub. you will all be on here moaning about the food or music or the parking etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

gar.k wrote: »
    What makes you people think it is going to attract the wrong type of people?anyway you iive in greystones not a council estate in north dublin somewhere..Also what gives Charlesland residents the exclusive rights to drinking in the new pub...
    Em! becuse if you read the thread you see that with the best of intentions two ventures have failed for the reasons stated. Nobody wants to overstate any anti social elements that exist in the locality but unfortunately they do exist and they do cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

Em! becuse if you read the thread you see that with the best of intentions two ventures have failed for the reasons stated. Nobody wants to overstate any anti social elements that exist in the locality but unfortunately they do exist and they do cause trouble.

With al due respect, you are the only person who stated these so called reasons and to be honest they are outrageous..drugs,football shirts and fighting?? Do you have evidence to back this up?
    The real reasons these establishments failed is because greystones residents would not support them, and they had to depend on outside trade. The same will happen in Charlesland,,,,,watch this space

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Luke Emia

Ironically the bad element being discussed here, ARE Greystones people.

To sum up, Tumbleweed is an unknown at the moment but based on previous establishments it doesnt look promising unless lessons are learned.

Everyone wants local they can be proud of.

gar.k wrote: »
    With al due respect, you are the only person who stated these so called reasons and to be honest they are outrageous..drugs,football shirts and fighting?? Do you have evidence to back this up?
    The real reasons these establishments failed is because greystones residents would not support them, and they had to depend on outside trade. The same will happen in Charlesland,,,,,watch this space
    No ,not outrageous; fact. True, many Gretstones middle class folk seem to prefer to stay home or go to the city, but no, the trouble did not necessarily come from outside. And I think you'll find that I agree with your prediction.

Sorry, wont answer in detail because you've gone way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What will make or break this pub will be what it offers it’s clientele. People will travel that little bit further away for something special. Good service is essential followed by excellent food at great value and good entertainment in the evening. This pub will not survive on Charlesland residents alone. It needs the wider community to support it or it will fail. Sadly though, based on what I read here on this site, the greatest threat to this pub will be the local residents complaining about all the issues associated with living near it. I give it 6 months. I hope I’m wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BouncyCastleMan

I think everyone wants a pub that all can enjoy and not have to worry about bad elements hanging around. I really don't mind who drinks in the pub provided they are decent people and that includes having a wash from time to time..However if someone does cause trouble or is just being a nuisance then I believe they should be thrown out regardless of where they are from. Awful lot of decent people living in tough areas and an awful lot of low life's living in good area's. Anyway all of us that live in Charlesland or wherever need to support this pub as often as we can if we want it to work. Drinking at home is great but you can't beat a good bar and a night out. I am not saying everyone should turn into Alco's but if its going to work its because we are going there and enjoying it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

It's not opening

• Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

It's not opening

Please expand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It's not opening
    Can you tell us a bit more about what you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I just heard from a pretty reliable source that the pub was not going ahead. This is due of course to the downturn, difficulties and risks of opening a new business, particularly with a new pub. Look at the recent problems other pub groups are having. Is it worth the risk to open now, in a frankly limited market in Charlesland ? Anyway, has the fit out started ? or is there ANY sign of activity there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The downturn started over a year ago. Did this only become an issue now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

To be honest i never thought it was ever realistically going to open, what bank would give the finance for it now seeing as even during the 'good times' the building was sitting idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Had a wonder by today...nothing happening in there...don't think we'll see this place opening this side of Chrimbo.

The unit seems to be just a storage place for all the plants and seats from the Woodlands Lodge.

Shame really, would be nice to hear something positive happening but hey, they way things have gone, it's understandable.:(

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

"Interesting" notice posted on the door of the pub today :rolleyes:

Did anyone else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

What did it say???? I'm intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

no, what did it say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

MrsA wrote: »
    "Interesting" notice posted on the door of the pub today :rolleyes:

Did anyone else see it?

Aarrgghhh!!!! Don't you just hate that suspense! Mrs A, don't be such a tease... what the heck did it say???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Sorry, meant to come back sooner.

It was taped to the outside of the door, and it was a sign that said "Six days notice" followed by lots of legal stuff and the names of a couple of people and basically saying they had to pay €27,505.80 or else I do not know what........

I took a pic of it with my phone.

It was dated today.

upload the photo..... want to see that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've deleted a couple of posts here - please avoid any wild speculation\unsubstantiated rumours about the business dealings of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've deleted a couple of posts here - please avoid any wild speculation\unsubstantiated rumours about the business dealings of others.

Jeez - that's what makes these boards fun... :D

Looked at the sign today - It makes reference to "Woodlands" which is strange.. Do you think the new pub was to be called Woodlands? Anyway, taking the notice into consideration and lack of furniture, I doubt we will have our pub after all..... Shame really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

There is a sign up in the window of the Woodlands saying : Greystones Inn, looking for experienced bar staff etc. and some more saying it's closed for renovation re-opening soon....

Could be that they're advertising for staff for a different location (the place is completely empty down there)...and the TO LET sign is gone from the "pub" in Charlesland...

Anyone know what's going on?

Did the owner of the Woodlands not previously come on Boards looking for feedback about the pub/nightclub? Is he still out there? Maybe he could tell us what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Well there's something happening.....
    I googled Greystones Inn, and among all the other rubbish, I got this -

http://www.loadzajobs.ie/hotel/bar-staff-1547383.html

so it looks like someone's recruiting....now all we gotta do is find out WHERE Greystones Inn is>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.loadzajobs.ie/hotel/bar-staff-1547383.html

so it looks like someone's recruiting....now all we gotta do is find out WHERE Greystones Inn is>

Anyone brave enough to call or email to find a location for the Greystones inn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A quick google of the contact phone number on the ad brings up many results for The Woodlands Lodge - here's one of the pages for The Greystones Chamber Website(http://www.greystoneschamber.ie/whatson.asp?category=eat) - So hey, here's another re-branding of Script!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement