Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant situation for mature student

Options
  • 20-05-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm returning to college as a mature student in October and I'm not sure where I stand in relation to the grant. I saw the following posted in another thread here -
    - Independent Mature Student: for the 2009/10 academic year, this applies to students over the age of 23 on January 1st 2009, and have been independently resident outside of the family home since October 1st 2008 (and can prove it with ultility bills etc). Independent Mature Students are means-tested based on their own (and spouse's if applicable) income for the tax year January-December 2008.

- Dependent Mature Student: for the 2009/10 academic year, this applies to students over the age of 23 on January 1st 2009 who are resident in the family home. Also, the default position of many grant authorities is that if you cannot prove your independence, you will be considered dependent. Dependent Mature Students are means-tested based on their own (and spouse's if applicable) income AND their parents' income for the tax year January-December 2008.

My situation is that Im 29 and Ive been living independantly for years but recently, as in two weeks ago I moved back to my parents house to save money for next year. So I'm wondering what category I fall under as I have been "independently resident outside of the family home since October 1st 2008 (and can prove it with ultility bills etc)" and have only just moved back to my parents with a view to staying for a maximum of 4 months. So does this make me a dependent or independent mature student?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 backtoeducation

Dependent mature candidates Candidates who were ordinarily resident with their parents from October 1 of the year preceding the year of application are considered dependent on their parents and their income is assessed together with their parents income(s). Independent mature candidates are candidates over 23 who live separately from their parents from October 1 of the year preceding the year of application. They are assessed on their own income.

Just found this on citizensinformation.ie. I fall into both categories from my reading of the above. So anybody able to tell me which category I actually am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Check with the DES dept , Financial Assistance for Students in Further & Higher Ed, Tullamore: 057 9325317

They should be able to clarify it for you.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 W106

My situation is that Im 29 and Ive been living independantly for years but recently, as in two weeks ago I moved back to my parents house to save money for next year. So I'm wondering what category I fall under as I have been "independently resident outside of the family home since October 1st 2008 (and can prove it with ultility bills etc)" and have only just moved back to my parents with a view to staying for a maximum of 4 months. So does this make me a dependent or independent mature student?

Hmmm.

Not that I would EVER condone underhanded behaviour, BUT the local authority require you to prove that you were independently resident on the 1st of October 2008, which you were.

Who's going to tell them where you're living now? As long as you've got mates back in your old place to forward on your mail, who cares? Or you could even go to your post office and ask them to forward any mail addressed to you at the old address to your parents' house (including correspondance from your local authority).

I was in a similar (but different) scenario when I studied - I was independently resident, got my grant from Dublin City Council and then moved onto campus res. To avoid having mail sent to my old address (where we had all moved out), I rang DCC and requested that they use my parent's address down the country for correspondance, as I would be moving a lot over the next few years. They said no problem, and I had no issues with my grant at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

can i tag on to this post please.
    My situation is i have been living in the East of the country for 7 yrs. lost my job in Nov 08 and moved west (where im from born and raised for 20 yrs) in April.
    Going back to college in Sept. Living independent of parents, but i am not resident in the county i will be applying for grant since oct 07 as it states i should be. It says this can be waived in "exceptional circumstances".
    Would redundancy be considered exceptional do you think?
    I am eligible for BTEA but as i have rent and a loan (got this when i was working and i still have 2 yrs left) and i live 20km from college all my money is gone on this. I literally wouldnt have a penny for bills or food.
    Any advice would be gratefully received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Clueless09 wrote: »
    can i tag on to this post please.
    My situation is i have been living in the East of the country for 7 yrs. lost my job in Nov 08 and moved west (where im from born and raised for 20 yrs) in April.
    Going back to college in Sept. Living independent of parents, but i am not resident in the county i will be applying for grant since oct 07 as it states i should be. It says this can be waived in "exceptional circumstances".
    Would redundancy be considered exceptional do you think?
    I am eligible for BTEA but as i have rent and a loan (got this when i was working and i still have 2 yrs left) and i live 20km from college all my money is gone on this. I literally wouldnt have a penny for bills or food.
    Any advice would be gratefully received :)

If I'm reading you correctly I think you would need to apply for a grant from the VEC/ County Council/ Local Authority of the county that you lived in on the first Oct 2008. You dont actually have to be resident there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Does anyone know much about the special rate of grant? Everyone seems confused on this area. I've been lucky so far, after being out of work a good while, i've been offered my first choice in Wit and know i'll get the grant and btea so things are looking good but I may need to get a car to commute and was wondering about student loans and how easy they are to get (my credit rating would be poor from a bad employment record). Also I'm trying to figure out whether I'll qualify for the special rate grant. I believe the cap is 20100ish. I receive approx 8880 from social welfare per annum which is fine but I live with my girlfriend who also receives social welfare but works a few hours part-time. I think I'll be judged on her income too although she doesn't support me and is probably only on minimum wage if that. I think combined we might be just over which would be a shame, when my actual income is less than half the allowance. I wouldn't mind if she was on a decent salary and could afford to support me, that would be different, but as per usual in these situations we'd probably be better off if she didn't bother working at all...

Advertisement