Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Birthday dilemma

Options
  • 20-05-2009 11:16am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here's the thing... My friends Birthday was yesterday, she lives in Kildare but I'm seeing her on Friday for a few drinks.. Thing is my Birthday was last month and for the 1st time since we've been friends she didn't get me anything.. We usually get each other something small.. She acknowledged it was my Birthday and all that, I'm not upset or anything cause I know she was broke.. But my question is, would it embarrass her if I went and got her something?? I would like to get her something but I don't want her to feel like it's a dig at her :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

You could get her something small, with the line 'saw this and immediately thought of you, knew you'd like it'.

If she's broke she probably hasn't been treating herself to unnecesary fun little things, so her birthday is a chance for you to treat her. And, a chance for you to feel the joy of giving, if you know what i mean?

This is the first year she didn't get you anything, right? If the same happens next year, and i were you, then i wouldn't get her anything for her bday.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

why don't you buy her a cocktail when you are out? something a bit different so it is a present but yet practical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i think it would be more of a dig if you didnt get her something, it might be conceived as "well if she didnt get me somethin, fook her, i aint gettin her anything!"

get her something with the tagline mentioned above

edit.....love the sig xzanti:D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

+1 for the above I would definitely get her something, it would be more embarrassing not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Buy her something inexpensive, cheap jammies from penneys or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

xzanti wrote: »
    Ok, here's the thing... My friends Birthday was yesterday, she lives in Kildare but I'm seeing her on Friday for a few drinks.. Thing is my Birthday was last month and for the 1st time since we've been friends she didn't get me anything.. We usually get each other something small.. She acknowledged it was my Birthday and all that, I'm not upset or anything cause I know she was broke.. But my question is, would it embarrass her if I went and got her something?? I would like to get her something but I don't want her to feel like it's a dig at her :o

if you can afford to then do- if you cant then dont. My guess is she was embarassed she couldnt afford to get you anything so never mentioned it

either that or she is giving you your present when she sees you fri(if she lives far away and you havnt seen each other in ages)

Just a guess

Advertisement