Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organising Diving Trip to Red Sea for Dads 50th. Any tips?

• 20-05-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

It's my dads 50th in august and I'm hoping to organise a surprise trip to Egypt for the two of us. He used to be in a dublin scuba club for years and has done deep diving all over ireland. He hasnt dived in maybe 15 years though and I'm not sure if he has anything like the PADI cert but I guess I can find this out.

Did a bit of research and so far it seems that the best places to go are Hurghada or Sharm El Sheikh.

I'd like to get in a day or two seeing the likes of the valley of the kings and some of the sights. And of course I'd like to get in lots of diving.

I've got no scuba experience though its something I've been interested in doing for years and I'm sure once I take it up I'd be doing a lot of it both home and abroad. I'd like to do my Open Water over there and I'm considering doing the E-Learning part before I go over. If I do it this way, could I do my Open Water immediately followed by the advanced open water course in the same week? Would there be enough time or am I better off waiting? The price difference is huge between doing it here and abroad so I'd rather do it all over there if I can with the added bonus that I'd be diving in the Red Sea while learning :D

Is 7 nights enough for this kind of trip?
    Anyone recommend any hotels/diving schools over there?
    Hurghada or Sharm?
    Which is closer to the likes of the valley of the kings?
    Anyone know of any offers or any travel agents (uk or ire) that do good package deals?
    Anything else I should know?
    Is September a good time to go because I dont think I could handle ~43 degrees celsius in august?

Emporordivers seem to have some special offers on: http://www.emperordivers.com/prices/Resort_Package_Summer_2009.pdf

Seems like a good price to me but I'm finding it nigh on impossible to find cheapish flights. Anyone know the best way to go about organising the flights?

Appreciate any help or comments from people who've been there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've got no scuba experience though its something I've been interested in doing for years and I'm sure once I take it up I'd be doing a lot of it both home and abroad. I'd like to do my Open Water over there and I'm considering doing the E-Learning part before I go over. If I do it this way, could I do my Open Water immediately followed by the advanced open water course in the same week? Would there be enough time or am I better off waiting? The price difference is huge between doing it here and abroad so I'd rather do it all over there if I can with the added bonus that I'd be diving in the Red Sea while learning :D

I have very little knowledge of the redsea and travel arrangements but might be able to offer advice on the training aspect.

It could be a push trying to get the courses done back to back. As even though you are there for 7 days/ nights. You are recommended not to dive for 24 hours before flying. So that kinda knocks a day off your holiday. The open water would (taking account of the E-Learning tool) probably take at least 3 1/2 - 4 days. Then you would have 2 days to complete the Advanced which is a bit tight, and depending on your schedule may not be possible.

From what I've heard of Egypt, it is fantastic, crystal clear, warm water, unlike Ireland. So the fact that you have learned to dive in warm water will make the transition to colder water a little bit more uncomfortable... Just something to consider. Diving in Ireland can be a little bit more "stressful" so if you are considering taking this hobby up back home it might be an idea to really consider doing the course here first?

If your dad hasn't been diving in 15 years he too will have to under go what PADI refer to as a scuba review... They may even push to have him complete the course too (some centres will request that you consider this it if it has been so long since the person dived). It is more than likely that your Father was a CFT (the Irish Underwater Council who use the CMAS method of Dive training) member, so it too would be important that you manage to locate you father's certifications before you go on holiday. Nowadays any certified PADI diver's qualifications can be verified onlne, but they will need to see a valid certification for your father.

If you really wanted to do both courses back to back, you could do half of the Openwater over here and finish it over there. In that you could do all the skills developments in a pool in Dublin, and then finish the dives in Egypt. That way you could have the openwater course finished in 2 days in Egypt. To do this, all you need is to get your Irish instructor to fill out what is called a "referral", you hand this to your instructor in Egypt and off you go.

If you wish to consider the latter, I would recommend a centre based in Dun Laoire ( but they do classes on both the North&South of Dublin). www.oceandivers.ie They run annual trips to Egypt so would be able to give you loads of advice on where is the best place to go and accommodation etc...

I'm sorry I can't be of more of a help in that respect.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Thanks for the advice. I'm no stranger to swimming in our cold waters (though of course not fully submerged for long periods). I do a bit of surfing along the west coast and have a wetsuit. Even found an old dry suit in the shed but I think its beyond use now.

If I just got the open water cert would I be able to dive at a deep enough level to check out the reefs? I don't think my dad would be too keen on doing the training again if he can help it. He dived for maybe 15 years before giving it up and is well aware of the safety/danger issues seeing a club member die of the bends on a dive trip one year. I think this was around the time he stopped.

Thats interesting about not diving before flying. Wasn't aware of this so I guess I'll just do the open water course rather than try to squeeze the advanced course in.

I'll check out that oceandivers link. Anyone know if there is any scuba diving clubs that use the pool in clondalkin village?

Thanks for the advice. I'm no stranger to swimming in our cold waters (though of course not fully submerged for long periods).

If I just got the open water cert would I be able to dive at a deep enough level to check out the reefs?

Its not the exposure to the cold that is the issue. There is a far bigger psychological difference between diving in cold water versus that of warm water. Especially if you begin your training in warm water.

If you dive in Cold water you need far more neoprene around you. I surf too and I only use a 5mm suit during winter. When diving in Ireland you need double that. This leads to increases in the amount of weight you need to carry to become negativley buoyant, adds to the restriction of movement and adds to the psychological pressure or stress on divers, especially beginners. Add poor visibility and cold water to the mix and it can be a lot to deal with.

I have seen instructors who have only dived in warm water come to Ireland and get into difficulties because they have underestimated said conditions. So by training in Ireland I mean to psychologically prepare yourself, not just deal with a drop in temperature...

As to the second question, depends how deep the reefs are. Your training as an OW will train you to a max depth of 18m. If you go deeper that is your choice but is not recommended. Most Dive centres will have a variety of sites to cater for all levels of ability. Anyway, most fish life tends to be in the shallower waters no deeper than 12-15 metres.

Ah ok. Thats just what I needed cheers. I might look into joining a diving club when I get back. I know my old college (DCU) had a diving club set up by one of my old lecturers. I'd say a diving club is a good way of getting involved in a few irish diving trips

ha ha ... tis a small world, was in the DCU club for a while.. ( a very short while) until study got in the way!! Yep clubs are a great way to keep active

• Advertisement

I decided to join it in fourth year but never got around to it in the end. Dont think I would have had much time for it in my final year anyway. Was Brian Stone in it while you were there? They allow alumni to join so might look into it this year again

He was.... Only ever met him briefly. I joined it in my first year but didn't get around to doing much. In middle of exams at minute... need to get off this site!

haha cool. He was one of my lecturers for a year or two. Right, back on topic now... lol. Anyone else on Egypt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

For my money go sharm and do a day trip to blue hole at dahab or do a day in dahab. Great reefs but watch the blue hole very dangerous as with the great vis a lot of people go too deep and then lose it but def worth a visit even for a snorkel. If you can go on a Bedouin desert meal as well well worth it, great experiance. I fly to sharm via falcon travel but stayed in dahab which is a lot quieter than sharm. there are several armed checkpoints between cities which is a bit of a shock when you first see thme but its like NI was years ago and nothing to worry about imho. Loved it and cant wait to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Good advice there by Loctite re Training in cold/warm water.

Being a CFT diver I know that your membership no. stays with you for life, as does your qualifications.
    Also, visiting divers to a club are insured for two dives, after which they are expected to make their minds up and either join or go elsewhere.
    Your Dad may/may not appreciate such a surprise. If he knew in advance he may be able to rekindle his interest/skills by getting in a dive or two with his former club before going.

Might even have you along for a try-a-dive!

IMO you would both enjoy Egypt better after a home run.

As to where to go - Sharm should have the cheapest flights/packages. If you only have one week I'd forget the Valley of the Kings this time around, and the Pyramids too.

Consider a day trip to St. Catherine's Monastery and Mt. Sinai. Well worth it, have done it twice.

Don't forget this is an introductory dive trip for you. You do not need the more adventurous dives as you just would not be able to get the best out of them.
    Middle Garden and the Alternatives may be a good option. Less current, some coral, and plenty fish life.
    The Temple would be another site that comes to mind; few years since I did that one!

Hurghada would not be the best choice for a beginner who wants to do an excursion somewhere. Only sightseeing is up and down the coast, as the town itself does not offer much.
    It would be too far for a visit to Luxor/Thebes in a week's visit.
    If you forego the side trip then the diving is okay.

Haven't researched the available packages of late, but maybe you should change your focus a bit and go to Jordan.
    Aqaba has easy diving, would be an excellent re-introduction for your Dad, and offers a choice of excursions - Wadi-Rum (1 day); Dead Sea/Madaba; Petra (allow two days); Jerash - all these are options. You won't fit them all in on one visit, but Petra and Wadi Rum is possible. Organise these locally.

Check out Seastar and the Alcazar Hotel, but look online for recent feedback before booking.
    Dive Aqaba is mainly hard boat diving and may not suit you on this trip.

Petra should be one good reason to change as it is absolutely magnificent! Been twice and would go again.
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom might ring a bell with you as to what's there.

Enjoy the research, and the anticipation. Hope you end up with a regular dive buddy (your Dad)

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

Thanks to a very nice boardsie I'm gonna be doing the E-learning before going over so my open water course should take 3 days. I was thinking then of doing a trip to Ras Mohammed reef and maybe something else for a day.

Been looking into flights/hotels etc. Looking at about €1000 p.p for flights/accom (7 nights) and 5 days diving. Does this sound about right or do the prices tend to come down if you book closer to when you leave? I'm looking around september/october.

Does anyone have any hotel or dive school recommendations in sharm? Main ones seem to be Emperor, Red Sea College and Camel. Anyone used these before?

Just booked a week from the 17th September in Nabq Bay. Gonna book the diving with Aquarius as it is the closest to the hotel. Really looking forward to it now :)

Should I get a diving mask and snorkel before going over? If so, where is the best place in dublin to go for one?

hi gstorm hope you have a blast be no harm to get a mask that fits proper here and see if you can get some time with it before you go. Any good dive shop should help you out or your helpful boardsie may also have a shop or deals somewhere. Annoying if your trying to get a good fitting mask when your already there and will give you the freedom to go snorkelling when you want if taking a day offf diving.
    Do try and get to the blue hole but where ever you dive mind the coral, look don't touch and try and mind where your fins go. Blue hole is worth a visit if you have time but is a good distance from sharm and will be busy by the time you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do.
    Personally I would avoid Hurghada like a plangue (way too busy and here is where the reefs have suffered the most - also if you like 10 boats on the same dive site...).

Either go further south (Marsa Alam or Safaga).

Don't discount Dahab as a base - and do day trip to Sharm.

If culture is on the itinerary, you can do day trip to Petra in Jordan from there..and of course St Catherine's Monastery and Mt Sinai.

Btw, I'm biased - just back in the dive centre after diving the blue hole this morning :-))))

Dahab is about an 1 hour from Sharm + 20 min to get out to the blue hole.
    Too many day trippers from Sharm there this morning ;-)

An NO the blue hole is NOT a dangerous dive site...

But also Dahab has cracked down on standards of the dive operations.
    You MUST dive with a local guide and they will not dive below 30m.
    The 30m is also under discussion for an Egyptian wide standard for recreational diving. But if certified, you can of course dive the blue hole with a tech diving centre...

IF you want so more info about Dahab, PM me. Will be back later this week.

/WD

wd you jammy bugger are you staying dahab or sharm. was only there for a week on a freediving course but aching to get back. Never done the blue hole on scuba but glad to hear they have tightened things up with the dive centres.
    The only reason i said BH was dangerous was poster and father are beginners and if they see the warnings without having some sort of reassurance they may be put off completly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I learned to dive in Egypt last year and had a great time. I went to Shark's Bay (http://www.sharksbay.com/new/english/index.htm) mostly because it was cheap, but it was a fantastic experience - don't expect 5 star luxury (or any luxury for that matter) but the diving instructor we had was great and had been a dive instructor for decades and is great fun as well as very competent. I don't remember his name of the top of my head but he's a sixtyish year old English guy. We did all the book based learning while we were out there sitting on the beach between dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

fmcc wrote: »
    wd you jammy bugger are you staying dahab or sharm. was only there for a week on a freediving course but aching to get back. Never done the blue hole on scuba but glad to hear they have tightened things up with the dive centres.
    The only reason i said BH was dangerous was poster and father are beginners and if they see the warnings without having some sort of reassurance they may be put off completly.

;) I'm staying in Dahab.. Don't like Sharm much... and Dahab is a lot cheaper than Sharm.

Wow, did you do the course at the freediving school at the blue hole? We where watching them train... (and showing off by shadowing the scuba divers...)

I agree that the BH is not for all beginners.... But a good dive resort will tell you after a check dive and a few easier dives whether they are up for it or not...

/WD

WD I did it with Linda Pagnelli and Lotta Ericsson from freedive dahab at the time they were based in Bedouin moon hotel on the road to blue hole. The course was three days only one of which was at blue hole all the rest were at eel garden ( i think nearly at the start of the prom and the reef is to the left). Loved it there. AFAIK they have moved to a new HQ in Assallah with their own apts that they rent out. Hoping to go to do instructor course next may but will be based in sharm with Apnea academy ( Umberto Pelizzari).
    Would really like to go back to Dahab as from what I saw of Sharm it was just another resort, could have been in Spain or anywhere else but the course is pretty intense and won't have much time for tourist things. Did the bedouin meal in the desert at night which was brilliant lovely food camel stew I think!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thanks to a very nice boardsie I'm gonna be doing the E-learning before going over so my open water course should take 3 days. I was thinking then of doing a trip to Ras Mohammed reef and maybe something else for a day.

Been looking into flights/hotels etc. Looking at about €1000 p.p for flights/accom (7 nights) and 5 days diving. Does this sound about right or do the prices tend to come down if you book closer to when you leave? I'm looking around september/october.

Does anyone have any hotel or dive school recommendations in sharm? Main ones seem to be Emperor, Red Sea College and Camel. Anyone used these before?

Been to Camel twice.
    Excellent!

Advertisement