Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HULL CITY v MANCHESTER UNITED EPL (MATCH THREAD) 24/5/09, 16.00 Sky Sp 3

• 20-05-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

hull_city-logo.png - - V - -Manchester+United+Logo.jpg

My team for this:

Kuszczak

Rafael
    Evans
    Ferdinand???????
    Fabio

Nani
    Gibson
    Fletcher
    Tosic

Welbeck
    Macheda

2-2 DRAW

I think it's gonna be a strange game but i'm looking forward to seeing how the youngsters do together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

its fcuking Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Yeah ....and some people might want to talk about united's next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

mike65 wrote: »
    its fcuking Wednesday
    lmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP's line up seems fine. The only change I'd make is Nev for Evans if Rio plays just for extra protection.

Looking forward to watching the kids play. The game is completely pointless and is the first in ages I can watch just to enjoy the game regardless of result.

I going with a Hull win followed quickly by an announcement that Manucho and Cambell have coincidently been sold to Hull in a double deal for £14m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ShooterSF wrote: »
    OP's line up seems fine. The only change I'd make is Nev for Evans if Rio plays just for extra protection.

Looking forward to watching the kids play. The game is completely pointless and is the first in ages I can watch just to enjoy the game regardless of result.

I going with a Hull win followed quickly by an announcement that Manucho and Cambell have coincidently been sold to Hull in a double deal for £14m.

Oi how dare you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Sorry That_Guy, I'm getting fairly p1ssed off reading all the complaints about Boro and Toon Army fans whinging that SAF will put out a "weakened" side against Hull on Sunday.

Well, of course he is with a Champions League final the following Wednesday and to be honest, most of our 2nd team should account for a poor side like Hull so i don't see what all the whinging is about?

In any case, Newcastle and Boro had 37 other matches to secure their EPL status. They're both simply not good enough as are Hull and Sunderland so I won;t shed any tears for any combination that goes down.

Personally, I can see Hull losing to United, Newcastle losing at Villa (Villa still have a chance of regaining 5th place from the Toffees if they win and Everton fail to win at Fulham) and Middlesborough might pick up a point at the Hammers (doubtful given that Downing won't start). Sunderland should escape even though Chelsea will more than likely beat them.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oi how dare you.

Sorry, obviously it means something to Hull:D :P

But to be fair to them atleast their destiny is in their own hands ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll be shocked if Evans plays since Ferdinand is trying to get fit. I just don't understand any reason to play somebody unless we're testing them for fitness or getting their confidence up. Personally, I'd play Ronaldo since he's always asburdly fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PHB wrote: »
    Personally, I'd play Ronaldo since he's always asburdly fit.
    It wouldn't really be fitness issues that would worry me. It'd be the Hull defenders trying to stop him at all costs in order to save their season which could result in nasty tackles /nasty injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I think SAF will rest a few players but nevertheless put out a strong team of a respectable average age.

I recall him in past seasons going on about teams and managers having a responsiblity to the league, respecting the teams below that still have something to play for etc.

Anyone recall what sort of team he put out 2 years ago (which lost) against relegation battlers West Ham, when they had an FA Cup final against Chelsea the following week (also lost) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

kinaldo wrote: »
    Anyone recall what sort of team he put out 2 years ago (which lost) against relegation battlers West Ham, when they had an FA Cup final against Chelsea the following week (also lost) ?
    Van der Sar, O'Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra (Giggs 57), Solskjaer, Carrick (Scholes 58), Fletcher, Richardson, Smith (Ronaldo 58), Rooney.

Wasn't too shabby in fairness.

dcr22B wrote: »

In any case, Newcastle and Boro had 37 other matches to secure their EPL status.
    Hahaha brilliant, the outcome of a league should always be decided before the last game! Why even bother with a 38th game!

mike65 wrote: »
    its fcuking Wednesday
    ''Time is an awkward inconvenience between football matches'' - Albert Camus

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A draw will be the outcome, with Hull staying up.

As a Toon follower I'm not really too worried about this result, so confident am I that Man Utd will win.

It's Newcastle's team against Villa that worries me (no Bassong, Beye doubtful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It was mentioned in the fantasy football thread that ronaldo is joint top goalscorer with anelka atm - so he might be playing so he can be top goalscorer for the season. Think that's likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have no doubt Ronaldo will be in Fergie's ear wanting to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Heard something in passing today on SSN about managers petitioning Utd. to play a full strength team and threatening legal action if they don't. I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Heard something in passing today on SSN about managers petitioning Utd. to play a full strength team and threatening legal action if they don't. I laughed.

So did I. They've had 37 matches to save their bacon and they haven't so they shouldn't be relying on other managers to do it for them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So did I. They've had 37 matches to save their bacon and they haven't so they shouldn't be relying on other managers to do it for them.

So if utd win and whoever loses and goes down can man utd sue them for being shi te?

• Advertisement

The league is 38 games though. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

kinaldo wrote: »
    The league is 38 games though. Big difference.

37 up to now, + 1 on sunday = 38. :)

But also, yes, they shouldn't be blaming anyone but themselves for getting into this position in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I sincerely hope we send Hull packing back to the championship. A sacking for Brown in the aftermath would be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Aidric wrote: »
    I sincerely hope we send Hull packing back to the championship. A sacking for Brown in the aftermath would be the icing on the cake.

whats wrong with brown

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Read on teletext today that all Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough will not take legal action if they do put out a weakened team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    whats wrong with brown

The way he dresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it fits.

If United were chasing the title and were one point lets say behind Chelsea going into the 38th game of the season. Lets say Liverpool were 3rd and were playing Chelsea in the last game of the season. Liverpool were lying third and could not finish any worse or any better.

What would be the reaction to Liverpool sending out a weakened team to face Chelsea and all but hand them the League title. How would United fans feel? How would the Premier League hierarchy react? How would the media react?

United should send out a top team for the last game imo.

If they send out a team like whats down in the op, I'll look forward to the day when something like what I've said above happens.

Remember when Blackburn won the title after being defeated by Liverpool on the last day, they gave United every chance to win the league that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Not really applicable there eagle eye.

There is the small matter of the Champions League Final for Ferguson to consider. Also, United have no real interest in who stays up or who goes down.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the kids get on and also the prospect of Newcastle spending a season or two where they belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

This will be interesting to see if Fergie puts out full sqaud. Doubt he would play 'fab 4' with a CL final coming up. Newcastle fans would be worried if he puts out his 'Carling cup' team and rests Tevez, Berba, Rooney etc.
    Even Hull might be able to beat them!

Ronaldo will def want to play to get the GB.

Read on teletext today that all Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough will not take legal action if they do put out a weakened team.
    LOL :) SAF will do what he wants and the FA wont interfere.

Hopes Anelka taps in two to get GB.

Newcastle to escape, Hull & Boro(good as) relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

anyone who thinks phil brown is even 'ok' needs their head examined

I would get banned here so no names given..:P

he thinks he is the man, and the way he has that microphone on his gob he thinks he is wacko jacko at wembley, attire and all.

back to the championship la with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

eagle eye wrote: »

If United were chasing the title and were one point lets say behind Chelsea going into the 38th game of the season. Lets say Liverpool were 3rd and were playing Chelsea in the last game of the season. Liverpool were lying third and could not finish any worse or any better.

What would be the reaction to Liverpool sending out a weakened team to face Chelsea and all but hand them the League title. How would United fans feel? How would the Premier League hierarchy react? How would the media react?

If they send out a team like whats down in the op, I'll look forward to the day when something like what I've said above happens.

Remember when Blackburn won the title after being defeated by Liverpool on the last day, they gave United every chance to win the league that day.
    Whats the difference between the 8th, 18th, 28th or 38th games of the season? Nothing. Noone complains if Rafa rests Gerrard or Torres in a Prem game before a midweek CL game. No difference. Fergie's priority is the CL Final now. Nothing else matters to Manchester United at this stage. I will be surprised if he played any of his CL Final starting XI (barring Ferdinand to test his fitness) on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i really cant understand that rule the premierleague have that you must play your strongest 11 when possible??? like, whats the point in squads. So if Ronaldo was fit and rested, is that breaking a rule?! daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lets say Liverpool were 3rd and were playing Chelsea in the last game of the season. Liverpool were lying third and could not finish any worse or any better.

If Liverpool were playing a champions league final 72 hours later I would fully understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As mentioned on the other site... how cool would it be to see this side:

Amos

Brown--Brown--Evans--Fabio

Rafael--Fletcher--Evans--Tosic

Kiko----Welbeck

3 sets of brothers - i'd love to see that! :D

Amos

Kiko----Welbeck

now that would be cool
    United's bid to finish the Barclays Premier League season with a win on Sunday - and more importantly to win the Champions League next Wednesday - could be boosted by the return of one or hopefully two England defenders.

Wes Brown is in contention for a start on Sunday afternoon against Hull City while Rio Ferdinand's chances of being involved look better after he trained on Friday morning.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Sir Alex Ferguson said, "Rio has trained today, which is good news. He’s done quite well. We’ll see how he is tomorrow.

"Wes Brown’s been training for over two weeks now. He comes into contention. He’s another experienced international player who’ll relish coming back into the team."

Sir Alex's team selection for the 38th and final fixture of the league season has been the subject of much speculation, given the game's proximity to the Champions League final and its importance to Hull and the other three clubs threatened by relegation.

"We have a league that’s got the best integrity in the world and we’ll play a part in that on Sunday," declared the United manager.

"No matter which team I pick, it will represent Manchester United in the normal way. We’re expected to win and we’ll go to win. That’s the responsibility I always have so nobody should worry themselves unduly about our intentions on this particular occasion.

"I did contemplate phoning the three managers involved – Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough), Alan Shearer (Newcastle) and Ricky Sbragia (Sunderland). Then I thought to myself, 'Ricky worked here, he knows this club, he knows exactly what we’re going to do. Gareth Southgate and Alan Shearer have played against us many times – they know exactly what it’s like to play against Manchester United.'

"So I dismissed the idea (of phoning) because they must know we’ll be doing our best.”

As normal, the Reds boss did not reveal his line-up at Friday's pre-match press conference, but there was a hint it may resemble his FA Cup semi-final side...

"If I can trust them in a semi-final, why not trust them in the final league match when we have already won the title?" asked Sir Alex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Amos

Kiko----Welbeck

Who is Brown #2?

I'd like to see a team like this:

PIG
    Rafael--Ferdinand--Evans--Fabio
    Nani---Fletcher---Gibson---Tosic
    Kiko
    Welbeck

Tom65 wrote: »
    Who is Brown #2?

I'd like to see a team like this:

PIG
    Rafael--Ferdinand--Evans--Fabio
    Nani---Fletcher---Gibson---Tosic
    Kiko
    Welbeck
    Reece Brown - Wes' younger brother. Not ready for the first team at all - just dreaming myself. He is a regularly for the academy side, and was making a few appearances for the reserves by the end of the season, I reckon he will be involved a good bit at reserve level next season, aiming for the Carling Cup the following season. Very much like Wes, can play RB and CB, strong, quick and loves to tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dcr22B wrote: »
    Sorry That_Guy, I'm getting fairly p1ssed off reading all the complaints about Boro and Toon Army fans whinging that SAF will put out a "weakened" side against Hull on Sunday.

Well, of course he is with a Champions League final the following Wednesday and to be honest, most of our 2nd team should account for a poor side like Hull so i don't see what all the whinging is about?

In any case, Newcastle and Boro had 37 other matches to secure their EPL status. They're both simply not good enough as are Hull and Sunderland so I won;t shed any tears for any combination that goes down.

Personally, I can see Hull losing to United, Newcastle losing at Villa (Villa still have a chance of regaining 5th place from the Toffees if they win and Everton fail to win at Fulham) and Middlesborough might pick up a point at the Hammers (doubtful given that Downing won't start). Sunderland should escape even though Chelsea will more than likely beat them.

I'm not complaining about SAF fielding a "weakened" team on Sunday. He's well within his rights to do so.

I agree that we've had 37 games to perform so it is our own fault that we are where we are.

I still think United will beat Hull and I think we'll get a draw on Sunday so come on the Man United..... *shudders* I feel so dirty for saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Get a grip would ye

Dave! wrote: »
    Get a grip would ye

he'd have a point if United were going to play a weakened team on Sunday purely to lose and get two of the north east clubs relegated. However, as that is not the case I don't think his scenario is the same as what will happen on Sunday.

Deliberately losing in order to negatively affect the outcome of the league for someone else would be disgraceful

• Advertisement

our youngsters who played against the 5th best team in england and shouldve won will be playing against Hull

so no one can really complain

Of course they can complain.

Play a decent team and nobody complains. I'm not saying that you play your whole first team but something like

VDS
    Rafael
    Evans----Vidic
    O'Shea
    Ronaldo----Flethcher----Anderson----Nani
    Tevez
    Berbatov

Now you are resting Rio, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick and Rooney.
    I put Ronaldo in as it seems he wants to play every game.
    Rafael needs more games, Evans needs to play with Vidic if there is a doubt over Rio. Tevez is not an automatic first team selection. ROFL at resting a goalkeeper.
    I mean out of that team there, its likely that there will be five starting in the CL final or maybe six.

Nobody would complain if that was United's team the weekend.

Play a decent team and nobody complains. I'm not saying that you play your whole first team but something like

VDS
    Rafael
    Evans----Vidic
    O'Shea
    Tevez
    Berbatov

Rafael needs more games, Evans needs to play with Vidic if there is a doubt over Rio. Tevez is not an automatic first team selection. ROFL at resting a goalkeeper.
    I mean out of that team there, its likely that there will be five starting in the CL final or maybe six.

I dont really have the patience or the strength to debate this with you

anything ill say will be wrong :rolleyes:

I don't see why United should feel obliged to field a strong side. They did their job this season, why should they do Boro's or Newcastle's too?

For anyone who likes a flutter Uniter were going at 2.34 on betfair this morning. That's a lil over 13/10. Long time since United were better than evens against a team that has won what, 2 in 24?

VDS
    Rafael
    Evans----Vidic
    O'Shea
    Tevez
    Berbatov

Pathetic tbh

VDS
    Rafael
    Evans----Vidic
    O'Shea
    Tevez
    Berbatov

So....

VDS gets injured - PIG for the CL.

Evans gets injured and Rio doesn't recover? Vidic and....Neville at CB for the final? Oh, but you have selected Vidic too. What if he gets injured?

Ronaldo gets injured and we lose possibly our biggest attcking threat? Awesome selection there...

Anderson - guaranteed starter for the final, a match where we'll need him to run his ass off and you have him starting? That is just stupid.

Berbatov AND tevez to play, nice - we lose either of them and our options for the final are instantly reduced.

If you had left out a few of the key players I might have thought you had a point, but you didn't really. VDS, Vidic, Ronaldo, Anderson stupid picks. I'd debate O'Shea too given we have no other experienced fully fit right backs.

Basically, the only players you have really rested are Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

For once I am in agreement with the UTD fans. Ferguson should rest all he can. CL final is more important in who goes down or not.

He has a problem though, if he does rest key players and Hull get a result to stay up it will always be percieved as "Fergusons" fault insert name here were relegated.

Is there a possible rap on the knuckles from PL if he does field a weakend side?

Best of luck in the CL final.

even scudamore agrees with saf

thegen wrote: »
    For once I am in agreement with the UTD fans. Ferguson should rest all he can. CL final is more important in who goes down or not.

He has a problem though, if he does rest key players and Hull get a result to stay up it will always have been "Fergusons" fault insert name here were relegated.

Is there a possible rap on the knuckles from PL if he does field a weakend side?

Best of luck in the CL final.

That's too bad really, it's not our job to get involved in the relegation battle, we've just to look at what's best for United, and that is to rest most of the first team

I know you're not suggesting otherwise btw!

So....

VDS gets injured - PIG for the CL.

Evans gets injured and Rio doesn't recover? Vidic and....Neville at CB for the final? Oh, but you have selected Vidic too. What if he gets injured?

Ronaldo gets injured and we lose possibly our biggest attcking threat? Awesome selection there...

Anderson - guaranteed starter for the final, a match where we'll need him to run his ass off and you have him starting? That is just stupid.

Berbatov AND tevez to play, nice - we lose either of them and our options for the final are instantly reduced.

If you had left out a few of the key players I might have thought you had a point, but you didn't really. VDS, Vidic, Ronaldo, Anderson stupid picks. I'd debate O'Shea too given we have no other experienced fully fit right backs.

Basically, the only players you have really rested are Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Rooney.
    I didn't realise the United playes were so brittle. How on earth did they win the title this season with all them injuries likely every week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement