Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HULL CITY v MANCHESTER UNITED EPL (MATCH THREAD) 24/5/09, 16.00 Sky Sp 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    I didn't realise the United playes were so brittle. How on earth did they win the title this season with all them injuries likely every week?

If Fergusons plays the team you suggest he would be a shíté manager, he is not a shíté manager now is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Dave! wrote: »
    That's too bad really, it's not our job to get involved in the relegation battle, we've just to look at what's best for United, and that is to rest most of the first team

I know you're not suggesting otherwise btw!

I would never suggest that!

thegen wrote: »
    He has a problem though, if he does rest key players and Hull get a result to stay up it will always have been "Fergusons" fault insert name here were relegated.

lol :D

Strange that, I would suggest the fault lies at the 3 teams managing over half a century of losses between them.

Also I would suggest the "kids" that face Hull on Sunday, if played over 38 games would not be facing relegation.

The debate really only stands if United lose, which I don't think they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I didn't realise the United playes were so brittle. How on earth did they win the title this season with all them injuries likely every week?

Why take the risk when United have already won the league? If he played Ronaldo and he got injured by someone hacking him down, the press would rightly have a go at him, and the united fans would rightly be pissed for him having done so. Why the hell would you pick Anderson, the player you NEED to do more running than anyone else in the CL final, to start a just 72 hours before? Why would you play your two top fit CB's when there is a worry over your other CB already and Evans has been strugling with an ankle injury all season? There were just some basically stupid picks from yourself there, not even in my opinion, just fact.

It's not even the fact that a player might get injured.

But Hull is what, a 200 mile round trip? Meaning the team wouldn't get back to Manchester until late Sunday night, then having to make the trip to Rome on Monday.

Teams don't just show up and play a match, hours of preparation and focus go into these games, now if I were O'Shea do I want to be watching videos on fooking Barmbey or Inestia for the week?

The luxury is in having the bulk of the team stay in Manchester, train and be 100% completely focused on the biggest game of the season.

What is being suggested on this thread by a couple of posters is lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pretty sure he's just trolling at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why take the risk when United have already won the league? If he played Ronaldo and he got injured by someone hacking him down, the press would rightly have a go at him, and the united fans would rightly be pissed for him having done so. Why the hell would you pick Anderson, the player you NEED to do more running than anyone else in the CL final, to start a just 72 hours before? Why would you play your two top fit CB's when there is a worry over your other CB already and Evans has been strugling with an ankle injury all season? There were just some basically stupid picks from yourself there, not even in my opinion, just fact.
    I picked Ronaldo because there seems to be something in his contract about him playing every game or so I've heard before. Even then take him out and put Park in there.
    On Anderson, lets take him out and put in either Scholes or Carrick. Or are all three playing in the final?
    Even then its still a decent team while not the very best United have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Boggles wrote: »
    lol :D

Strange that, I would suggest the fault lies at the 3 teams managing over half a century of losses between them.

Also I would suggest the "kids" that face Hull on Sunday, if played over 38 games would not be facing relegation.

The debate really only stands if United lose, which I don't think they will.

Sorry, i should have put the word percieved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Eagle Eye you are talking absolute ****. Shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I picked Ronaldo because there seems to be something in his contract about him playing every game or so I've heard before. Even then take him out and put Park in there.
    On Anderson, lets take him out and put in either Scholes or Carrick. Or are all three playing in the final?
    Even then its still a decent team while not the very best United have to offer.

I dont know why im bothering

park is starting in the CL final and are you Ronaldo's agent ?

ahh carrick is starting in the CL final :rolleyes:
    scholes is a good sub to have in the CL final

eagle eye your Pathetic posts should be fallen on deaf ears but heres me replying idk why

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont know why im bothering

park is starting in the CL final and are you Ronaldo's agent ?

ahh carrick is starting in the CL final :rolleyes:
    scholes is a good sub to have in the CL final

eagle eye your Pathetic posts should be fallen on deaf ears but heres my replying idk why
    So now we've got Park, Ronaldo, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Rooney, Tevez all to be rested.

So thats eight players and who else is starting in the final..... two defenders and a goalkeeper?

facepalmbq8dj7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What would be the reaction to Liverpool sending out a weakened team to face Chelsea and all but hand them the League title. How would United fans feel? How would the Premier League hierarchy react? How would the media react?

United should send out a top team for the last game imo.

I wouldn't care in the slightest, the team that with the most points deserves to win the league.

The same as the team with the most points stays up. I'm not sure why you are looking at survival in a one game context.

I also doubt Newcastle fans will blame United if they get relegated.

RasTa wrote: »
    I wouldn't care in the slightest, the team that with the most points deserves to win the league.

The same as the team with the most points stays up. I'm not sure why you are looking at survival in a one game context.

I also doubt Newcastle fans will blame United if they get relegated.
    I'm not, I'm looking at it in a 38 game context where every game is played with the best team available or close to it in the case of top four teams.

Those replying here are looking at it in a one game context, where they see a CL final as a reason to rest everybody who might play a part at some stage in that final, and the reason they give is possible injury which isn't really a good enough excuse as its way more likely that nobody gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Risk/Reward.

Reward for winning this game is non existant. We have nothing to play for. Risk of injury might be small, but the implications of the injuries far outweigh the reward for victory.

So, essentially by fielding a strong team we are risking our CL final performance(no matter how unlikely the injuries are, they are still a risk while playing) for a victory with no reward.

Ridiculous and you someone who " is in the game 40 years " or whatever **** your spouting now should know this.

• Advertisement

I'm not, I'm looking at it in a 38 game context where every game is played with the best team available or close to it in the case of top four teams.

Those replying here are looking at it in a one game context, where they see a CL final as a reason to rest everybody who might play a part at some stage in that final, and the reason they give is possible injury which isn't really a good enough excuse as its way more likely that nobody gets injured.

why is wanting our players to be fit and rested, just like Barcelona's will be, for the biggest game of the season by far? Why should we be getting our players to concentrate on prepping for Hull, traveling 200miles, running their asses off and tiring themselves out before traveling to Rome for a game just 72 hours later?

United will be trying to win the game, of that there is no doubt.

Absolute Twaddle!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't really see what the problem is. Whatever teams he puts out, all those players will have a trophy under their belts this season, no other prem team can say that yet.

Anyway here is the squad for the game.

Man Utd (from): Kuszczak, Amos, Neville, Brown, De Laet, Ferdinand, Chester, Eckersley, Simpson, Fabio, Nani, Fletcher, Gibson, Tosic, Martin, Drinkwater, Macheda, Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Man Utd (from): Kuszczak, Amos, Neville, Brown, De Laet, Ferdinand, Chester, Eckersley, Simpson, Fabio, Nani, Fletcher, Gibson, Tosic, Martin, Drinkwater, Macheda, Welbeck.

Disgrace - who does Fergie think he is :pac:

In all seriousness, its a great chance for some players to impress. Some players contracts are running out this summer and a good performance here can go a long way to a new contract. This will NOT be easy for Hull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I'm pretty certain now that Man Utd will almost definitely NOT win. Lucky Hull.

Newcastle will be relying on themselves and probably Chelsea to get something.

kinaldo wrote: »

I cant wait to quote this post when utd win

good times ahead

I cant wait to quote this post when utd win

good times ahead
    And I can't wait for the CL final where I will shouting for Barcelona just to prove that United resting players was a waste of time.

And I can't wait for the CL final where I will shouting for Barcelona just to prove that United resting players was a waste of time.

iv never known a poster that talked so much bull**** tbh

resting players a waste of time :rolleyes:,you honestly dont have a clue what your talking about

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just for you i hope the score is Hull 1 - 0 Man Utd.

I'd rest all the players travelleing to Rome just to make sure none of them were tired and missed the flight or weren't in peak condition to cheer their team mates on. Play the under 14's for all i care about this match. It is ALL about wed night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

How can anyone justify an argument to not rest players in a nothing game (in United eyes) for a massive game 3 days later?

And then out himself as anti-united by saying he is going to scream for Barcelona in the final?

Clueless. Absolutely and utterly clueless.

Look, as I explained earlier, the media, Manchester United and the Premier League would be all over a third place team handing the title to another team if United were in position to win it on the last day, regardless of whether they were in a Champion's League final or not. I am certain of that and you guys sitting behind your computers saying otherwise are lacking in realsim.

Therefore in this instance its a case of you should play a decent team in this game.

Regardless of the outcome, if that panel listed above is the United panel then they don't deserve any favours from anybody else.

If you had won the Premiership title on the last day all those years ago by beating West Ham you would understand the significance of this.

Fair is fair and sending a less than average United team into this game is not fair. Newcastle had to face a full strength United team, so did Middlesborough and so did Sunderland. Hull facing a team like this now regardless of the outcome tomorrow means that the Premier League is flawed in that playing a team on the last day is better than playing them in Ferbruary.

I agree in a way with Eagle Eye to be honest - i think the team United look like putting out is far weaker than it needs to be - especially when looking at the potential bench.

Where i disagree is with his opinion of the strength team United should put out.

I'd not have played VDS, Vidic, O'Shea, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney. Beyond that I think most of the first teamers could have played some part.

Team I would have prefered to see would be:

PIG

Rafael--Rio--Brown--Fabio

Nani--Scholes--Fletcher--Tosic

Berbatov--Kiko

With an eye to early subs for Rio, Scholes and Berbatov - i think that would have been a more reasonable line than we appear to be going with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Fair is fair and sending a less than average United team into this game is not fair. Newcastle had to face a full strength United team, so did Middlesborough and so did Sunderland. Hull facing a team like this now regardless of the outcome tomorrow means that the Premier League is flawed in that playing a team on the last day is better than playing them in Ferbruary.

Hang on, Rafa Benitez has picked weakened sides going into big european games ever since he got the job at Anfield. That's not a dig - he's right to. As is ferguson. United are supposed to sacrifice their finest hour so newcastle can finish 17th? No way.

9 Months ago, nobody here felt that Hull got lucky with the last day fixture, and to be honest it still won't be easy for them. Let's not start accusing teams of cheating before a ball has been kicked.

This smacks of just another opportunity for the have-not's to have a b!tch and moan about United.

If anyone doesn't like the situation, blame the fact that United have to play the Final 3 days after the EPL ends. Or watch a different sport tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres a couple of stupid things wrong with the whole argument, but ultimately any sensible football fan realises that United are doing exactly what they should do, and that they'd want their team manager to do the exact same if that situation.

If anyone says that they wouldn't want their manager to do that, I'd be absolutely utterly gobsmacked. And to be honest, I think they'd be bull****ting.

I'd expect,

PIG
    --Neville--Brown---Ferdinand--Fabio-
    Fletcher---Gibson
    -Nani
    Macheda
    Tosic-
    Welbeck

from that team.
    I think we'll still win the game, unless Hull really put up a great showing. Ferdinand will be out to prove himself, so Hull will have trouble getting past them.

They'll need to rely on the youth not putting away chances to get through.

Personally though, I think the teams below them will lose anyway so they'll stay up, but I wouldnt mind seeing United lose (once we put in a good performance) if Hull get to stay up. I'd very much like to see Newcastle go down.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Hang on, Rafa Benitez has picked weakened sides going into big european games ever since he got the job at Anfield. That's not a dig - he's right to. As is ferguson. United are supposed to sacrifice their finest hour so newcastle can finish 17th? No way.
    There is a huge difference in weakened sides and playing a team of reserves.
    9 Months ago, nobody here felt that Hull got lucky with the last day fixture, and to be honest it still won't be easy for them. Let's not start accusing teams of cheating before a ball has been kicked.
    Its a flawed system if a team get to play a reserve team while all the other teams have to play a first team.
    This smacks of just another opportunity for the have-not's to have a b!tch and moan about United.
    :rolleyes:
    If anyone doesn't like the situation, blame the fact that United have to play the Final 3 days after the EPL ends. Or watch a different sport tbh.
    They've had to play almost every CL game within three or four days of a PL game.
    I follow many different sports and tbh I'm getting rather fed up of soccer, there are so many levels of politics in the game. What I've said early for example, if United were in position to win a league and a team tried to put out a reserve team against the other team in contention, they would get torrid abuse from the media and United as a club, United's fans and of course the PL hierarcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There is a huge difference in weakened sides and playing a team of reserves.

Its a flawed system if a team get to play a reserve team while all the other teams have to play a first team.

:rolleyes:

They've had to play almost every CL game within three or four days of a PL game.
    I follow many different sports and tbh I'm getting rather fed up of soccer, there are so many levels of politics in the game. What I've said early for example, if United were in position to win a league and a team tried to put out a reserve team against the other team in contention, they would get torrid abuse from the media and United as a club, United's fans and of course the PL hierarcy.
    Nonsense. If the other team were playing in a champions league final 3 days later, and had nothing to gain from winning the league game, then nobody reasonable would criticise them for fielding a weakened team. Frankly I think the only benefit United get from this game is (a) giving the reserves a test against a team that is fighting for its life, (b) letting some players that won't feature in the CL have another game if they want one (Fletch), and (c) giving one or two players a run out to test their fitness (Rio).

Prioritising games and competitions doesn't bring the game into disrepute. We fielded alot of kids against Everton in the FA cup, and this league match is of such insignificance to United that it would and should raise eyebrows if anything resembling a strong team is fielded. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

kinaldo wrote: »

At the end of the day, all those players are paid by United and are entitled to a run out if Sir Alex says so. Remember Fulham staying up in 2005 after Rafa put out a poor side on the final day. That win saved Fulham from relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

The team that will play tomorrow isn't that inexpiernced to be honest, there is alot of players who will play have international expierence, have cost big money or have big reputations to keep

my line up:
    Kuszack has played 7 times this season
    Ferdinand is a first choice centre backs, played 39 games
    Neville has started 22 games and made 5 sub appearnces
    F da Silva has only played once so far this season, mainly due to injurys
    Brown has played in 11 games this season due to injury - first choice last yr
    Fletcher has been a big game player this season & played in 40 games
    Gibson has played in 11 games, inlcuding starting the semi final v everton
    Tosic only arrived in janurary, has played in 2 games since then
    Macheda uniteds youth player of year, played in 3 games, scored twice
    Welbeck has played in 10 games and scored 3 goals
    Nani has started 21 games and come on 7 times, scored 6

I think the important thing to remember is that Ferguson always picks a team he believes can win the game, I don't think tomorrow will be any different. The other thing to think of is what motivation all this hype will be giving these lads to go and prove all their critics wrong who are basically saying they will lose before they've even started.
    Also puts more pressure on Hull as their fans will expect more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultimately btw, does anyone really think that the team above isn't better than Hulls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The way Hull are playing at the moment they couldn't beat the Under 12s.
    Unless the Utd 2nd string fail to gel, and Hull play better they have for months they won't win.

PHB wrote: »
    Ultimately btw, does anyone really think that the team above isn't better than Hulls?

the team above is strong enough imo, and I don't think anyone should really have any complaints about it if that is the team that lines out. However, my annoyance is with the remaining players - the ones who will be on the bench. It will be a very weak bench, though hopefully we'll see Martin get a run out.

You have used this analagy several times now on this thread, and in all instances you left out the fact that there is a Champions League final on Wednesday which is a pretty glaring omission considering thats the point to fielding a different team.

I also take it you expect Barca to play all their stars tonight.

Yup Mr Eagle Eye I hope you will be slating Barca because...
    Of the 11 likely starters on Wednesday, only Samuel Eto'o and Sylvinho began this match

Shocking and they lost to a team fighting for survial!

• Advertisement

any team news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

CoachBoone wrote: »
    How can anyone justify an argument to not rest players in a nothing game (in United eyes) for a massive game 3 days later?

And then out himself as anti-united by saying he is going to scream for Barcelona in the final?

Clueless. Absolutely and utterly clueless.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

any team news

Fletcher and Nani only familiar ones. No Ferdinand.

Edit: Neville and Brown start.

I also take it you expect Barca to play all their stars tonight.

Yup Mr Eagle Eye I hope you will be slating Barca because...

Shocking and they lost to a team fighting for survial!

I assume Eagle Eye will now be hoping for both teams to lose the CL final....or he is just an anti-United hypocrite.

Would be interesting to know what the reaction in Spain is to Barcelona doing that

any tosic

Kus

Rafael
    Neville
    Brown
    De Leat

Nani
    Fletcher
    Gibson
    Welbeck

martin
    macheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Fecking radio guy said it all too quickly! Not sure.

De Laet starts. Wellbeck and Macheda too.

Edit: Nice one Mitch.

Bench:

Tosic
    Possebon
    Amos
    Eckersley
    Evans
    Drinkwater
    James

Delighted that Martin is getting a run out today, he has really impressed me for the reserves since the start of the year. Surprised he got the pick ahead of Tosic though.

Really hope to see Tosic and James in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Kus

Rafael
    Neville
    Brown
    De Leat

Nani
    Fletcher
    Gibson
    Welbeck

martin
    macheda

wow thats a young team, lookin forward to seein martin try make a name for himself alá kiko, looked good in the reserves lets see him against hull!

great to see brown back!

I do think Eckersley should have got the start at LB over Da Leat. Da Leat has come on very well of later, but he is simply not a LB. I don't understand that pick to be honest.

Maybe the back four isn't as MUTV have laid it out, could be Raf at LB with either Nev or Brown at RB. Brown and Da Leat in the centre would possible be a better combo. Don't see raf getting shunted to LB though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement