Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HULL CITY v MANCHESTER UNITED EPL (MATCH THREAD) 24/5/09, 16.00 Sky Sp 3

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

One nil to Utd, cracker from Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Aidric wrote: »
    One nil to Utd, cracker from Gibson.
    Oh i saw that @ 24mins... Nice goal!

Pity we didn't score any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Weakened Utd team blah blah ****ing blah.

Fergie was 100% right and as so often hes proven it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Fcuking love it , finishing on a high and a win, plus glad our win didnt relegate Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good for Hull, great to see them stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Strangest sight iv seen in a match in a long time. They loose and the players, team and staff are all delighted running onto the pitch! I know they avoided being knocked out, still funny looking though!

Chong wrote: »
    Fcuking love it , finishing on a high and a win, plus glad our win didnt relegate Newcastle.

pmsl. i looked at your avatar and was like i knew Des was a closet Red

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MIN2511 wrote: »
    So guys, whats the score atm?

United won by a goal to nill. Do you ever check out the BBC rather then posting here looking for results?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    pmsl. i looked at your avatar and was like i knew Des was a closet Red
    Hahahaha Its a joke I have with him, oh and he aint a closet fan , he is a full blown United fan .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

So what's the verdict on the young lads that played today? I tried to watch the second-half with a stream but it was crap, so I couldn't get a great idea of what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wonder will Newcastle sue United now? :D

Great result for United. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A certain poster in here looks even more foolish than he already did before the match.

Decent performance today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Phil Brown singing is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah, Phil Brown was leading the crowd in song at the KC Stadium :D Dunno whether I really like that man or really hate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    So what's the verdict on the young lads that played today? I tried to watch the second-half with a stream but it was crap, so I couldn't get a great idea of what was going on.

Very comfortable for the lads considering it was a hugely inexperienced team, and a team that had never played together before.

Thought De Laet did well. Wellbeck was good at opening up chances but consistently kept taking the wrong option. Nani & Kiko did ok, didn't contribute a whole lot. Martin looked good when he came on. Gibson looked v v tidy. Still don't see him pushing into the first team really ahead of the other options there. But he deserves another contract. A loan spell away might help with his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

D.S. wrote: »
    Very comfortable for the lads considering it was a hugely inexperienced team, and a team that had never played together before.

Thought De Laet did well. Wellbeck was good at opening up chances but consistently kept taking the wrong option. Nani & Kiko did ok, didn't contribute a whole lot. Martin looked good when he came on. Gibson looked v v tidy. Still don't see him pushing into the first team really ahead of the other options there. But he deserves another contract. A loan spell away might help with his development.

Didnt Martin start?

Didnt Martin start?

Sorry he did actually..meant Eckersely not Martin...

Thought Martin did well but don't think he'll make it next season ahead of Tosic.

D.S. wrote: »
    Gibson looked v v tidy. Still don't see him pushing into the first team really ahead of the other options there. But he deserves another contract. A loan spell away might help with his development.

I was thinking about the Gibson situation again today. I just remember thinking the same about Fletch a few years ago and he's turned out ok :D. If given a new contract he'll just have to bide his time and then when Giggs/Scholes go he may get a few more chances...will just have to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if it was up to me, both Martin and Gibson would be getting new contracts for next season. Both have shown enough, imo, to merit them being given one more season at least.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I was thinking about the Gibson situation again today. I just remember thinking the same about Fletch a few years ago and he's turned out ok :D. If given a new contract he'll just have to bide his time and then when Giggs/Scholes go he may get a few more chances...will just have to see.

Exactly - fully agree. He deserves another contract but whether he has the patience to wait for his shot is another thing. Could easily see him making the move this summer in order to get first team football. In fairness, he is ready for it and probably needs it more importantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gibson has the ability and the brain but he needs to turn himself into a playmaker. That square pass to nobody from Rafael was to an area which Gibson should have been. His job isn't to pass the ball and go forward, he should always be available for a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Sully wrote: »
    United won by a goal to nill. Do you ever check out the BBC rather then posting here looking for results?! :pac:
    Posted via my phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Thought De Leat had a very good game today, strong in the tackle and got forward well when possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kinaldo wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain now that Man Utd will almost definitely NOT win. Lucky Hull.

Newcastle will be relying on themselves and probably Chelsea to get something.

lol

pure and simple lol

if it was up to me, both Martin and Gibson would be getting new contracts for next season. Both have shown enough, imo, to merit them being given one more season at least.

you think so

myself i thought they were so-so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thought De Leat had a very good game today, strong in the tackle and got forward well when possible.

I actually thought De Laet did well today too, given his versatility in being able to play at LB and CB, he could be a very, very useful squad player, or dare I say it, the next John O'Shea? :D

Ritchie De Laet admits making his United debut on Sunday against Hull City was a dream come true.

The young defender arrived at Old Trafford in a low-key move from Stoke City in January and has since made 14 appearances for the Reserves. But he never expected to play under Sir Alex before the season’s end.

In fact, even when the boss announced his team to play Hull at the KC Stadium, De Laet still wasn’t convinced he was about to run out for the Reds.

“During the team-talk, the manager said Richard, and of course there’s Richard Eckersley in the squad as well,” the 20-year-old told MUTV.” So I wasn’t sure until I asked somebody else and they told me I was playing left back.

“Then I couldn’t think anymore. Everything went black before my eyes and I was thinking: ‘I just need to do well’. When I came off they said I’d done well so I’ll watch it again tonight and see how I did.”

De Laet was one of United’s best on the pitch, covering a lot of ground down the left wing and making a number of crucial tackles. For those who have seen him at centre-back for the Reserves, his role out wide raised a few eyebrows, but he revealed he’s comfortable playing anywhere across the back four.

“I’m an all-round defender, to be fair. I like playing on the right and left because I enjoy going forward. When you’re centre back you can’t do that all day, although I do try! But I really enjoyed today.”

His appearance at the KC Stadium capped a memorable seven days for the Belgian defender.

“I was given a new contract earlier in the week,” he revealed, “so it’s been a great week, signing a contract and making my United debut. I didn’t think I’d play a league game this season when I arrived from Stoke... so you can say it’s been like a dream.

“I need to thank [Reserve team coaches] Warren Joyce and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to play with the Reserves. [Sir Alex] gave me a chance today and I think I grabbed it. I can enjoy my summer now because I’ve made my debut

“Hopefully I can push on next season and maybe go on loan or be in the first-team squad.”

great game from him today

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    you think so

myself i thought they were so-so

I'm not going to judge them both on the game today alone.

Martin has impressed for the reserves and deserves one more season at United imo - may as well give him a two year contract and sell him next summer if he doesn't make an impression. selling him next summer would probably cover his wages for the season, United gain nothing by letting him go on a free.

Same goes for Gibson imo.

I'm not going to judge them both on the game today alone.

Martin has impressed for the reserves and deserves one more season at United imo - may as well give him a two year contract and sell him next summer if he doesn't make an impression. selling him next summer would probably cover his wages for the season, United gain nothing by letting him go on a free.

Same goes for Gibson imo.

oh right

would like to see gibson on load to a PL side (if he's offered a contract)

oh right

would like to see gibson on load to a PL side (if he's offered a contract)

Indeed - we could probably send him on loan to Wolves; he has been there before and they liked him from what i have heard.

forgot to praise welbeck,he was brilliant yesterday

forgot to praise welbeck,he was brilliant yesterday

He made some very nice runs, and in general played well, but i thought he was far too selfish on the ball. That shot he took towards the end of the second half being the biggest example. An excellent run, got into a lovely attacking position but the shot was never really on for him when he took it - he ignored 3 decently placed players in order to take that shot. He is still very young though, so with experience I would expect him to get better at picking the correct option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

He made some very nice runs, and in general played well, but i thought he was far too selfish on the ball. That shot he took towards the end of the second half being the biggest example. An excellent run, got into a lovely attacking position but the shot was never really on for him when he took it - he ignored 3 decently placed players in order to take that shot. He is still very young though, so with experience I would expect him to get better at picking the correct option.

I agree. He looks so promising when on the ball. He made that huge run and ended it really selfishly.
    He still would have been praised for making that chance if someone else had of scored from it, but he wanted all the glory.
    Just needs experience.

On another note, I feel really sorry for Nani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So out of yesterday we got to blood even more youngsters, gave the PIG a game (just in case), Brown a full 90, rested the entire champions league squad and won the 3 points with a cracker.

Ferguson really is a clueless disrespecful baffoon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    Ferguson really is a clueless disrespecful baffoon. :D

i don't think anyone would be dumb enough to suggest he's this.

Advertisement