Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered job in Sligo

Options
  • 20-05-2009 12:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all. So I've been offered a job in Sligo, with good money. I am 28 and from Dublin. I've been there loads of times before and I like it, used to go out a lot for surfing.
    Anyway not sure whether to accept it or not. What's the social scene like? I'm single by the way. And is the weather a lot worse than Dublin?
    Are there many places available to rent? I would like to rent my own place if possible if it's within my budget, how much are we talking for that? Can't find much on daft. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

rent in strandhill is very reasonable now so i would look there if you want to be out surfing and live somewhere nice.

Social scene in OK. depends on what your into i suppose. If your into the dressy up poser bars then there are a few to chose from. If you prefer a more local feel to your pub with live band or dj then you have choice too.

check sligo champion, weekender and post newspapers for rentals.

LAstly if you decide not to take the job can you refer me for it...................................im serious by the way!!

no really i am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i would if i could, but it's an internal position, should know in next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

well best of luck with it.

all in all it aint a bad place to live................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

OP, I'm afraid it really does rain a lot more here than on the east coast, but you get used to it. And when the weather's good, there's some amazing countryside around here.

Rent-wise, I'd imagine pretty much anywhere is gonna be affordable if you're used to renting in Dublin - rent here is substantially lower. As frag said, the local papers are probably the best place to look for accomodation, should be plenty around at the moment anyway.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

If I were you I would accept the job, the quality of life is much better on the west coast than in Dublin and there aren't many jobs around at the mo but it's not too bad as you already have one.
    There is plenty of places to rent at the moment, are you looking for a 1 bed apartment? Rent is usually in or around the €650-€700 in the Sligo area and cheaper the further from town you are so overall the rent is far cheaper than Dublin.

If you ask me,I'd move here any day even though it might be a bit wetter. I'd never live in Dublin again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

I just moved back to Sligo nearly 2 months ago and have never looked back.

Much more relaxed pace of life, no crappy commuting, traffic= five minutes max. Plus the beautiful countryside you get to see en route to work/ or play.

If you're moving down shortly, its probably the best time to acquaint yourself, summer in Sligo is brilliant.

Sign up for newsletters from local organisations, or the Sligo Arts Office newsletter is pretty handy for know whats going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

hmmmm ok thanks lads, i have put forward my interest and they're not getting much so i'll probably be offered a position. I can't seem to find a decent gym there though, from searching boards and the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Dont worry about the Gyms there are a few good ones, Clairion Hotel Radisson Hotel, Sligo Park Hotel and another in Ballisodare. There are several more in the town also without pools not to mention the sports complex and the IT Sligo one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

gym - if you rent a property in ballisodare you get free membership for the gym, opens 6.30am till 10pm during week and weekends 9am-9pm. ballisodare is ten minute drive to strandhill - good surf in strandhill, easkey, bundoran. social life - know loads of friends that have a good social life plenty going on.

good luck with the move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement