Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel 600 with VPN & Terminal Services

Options
  • 20-05-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just a quick one, I sell accounts software and I have a client trying to access the software via TS over a VPN running a Zyxel 600. It is running like a dog. Now I know I'd have a Cisco in there but we don't handle their hardware. We've checked all our settings and they're right and we have it running on multiple sites via TS and VPN, but generally a higher grade router.
    Has anyone any suggestions as the client is pi**ed off and doesn't care how it's sorted, so long as it is.
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could you drop in a different router that you know works well as a test ? Since its the only thing different. (assuming 'net connection is ok etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

not being smart but do you really need the VPN? As I think newer releases of TS have greater secuirty built in (IE certifying the server they're connecting to)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

OK
    Few quick things to try.
    1.What broadband provider are they using and with what package.
    If it some entry level package and they have 10+users accessing the web,straming media etc,then your available contended bandwidth on the customer site is going to be the issue.
    2.Unplug the rest of the LAN from the firewall and just plug in a laptop and see what the speed is like,this way you can eliminate point 1.If its still rubbish then its the firewall.
    3.Lock down the LAN to WAN policy on the client side to only allow out essential traffic,if something on their lan is beoadcasting like crazy (worm,virus etc) then this is going to be using the available bandwidth as well.
    4.Configure a rule on your firewall and access the TS server directly via its IP,VPN will add packet overhead to the connection and will not help if you are having speed issues.

Advertisement