Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to deter rabbits?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I live in the country and have wild rabbits in my back garden. I have fruit trees and the rabbits are eating the fruit and some of the trees. How do I stop them at the trees. I don't want to kill the rabbits, just stop them eating my trees. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Are the trees big or small, many or few, close together or dotted around?
    Would it be possible to hang nets to catch the fruit, and protect the tree trunks with chicken wire? Then maybe if you leave one tree/some fruit over for the rabbits they will go for that and leave the others alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Stink them out. Dog or cat hairs in small bags around the area. Or plant some onions - they hate the smell. I believe that they don't like the smell of marigolds or lavendar as well. I've marigolds planted in my allotment - mainly to keep away aphids but if they help with rabbits too well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thought rabbits ate marigolds?

Get some 1/4 aviary wire and make a little cage around the tree trunk to protect it, make sure it reaches up a bit because buns can get fairly tall standing on their wee hind legs. You can also get those tree protector tube things that are generally used in forestry to keep deer and rabbits and sheep etc. from munching on them.

Advertisement